Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rental Cars > Personal Cars

Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:00 am
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

It has recently dawned on me that one of my cars has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks and has not been moved.

I figure I drive rental cars much more than my personal car, about 4 or 5 of the 7 days per week and my personal car 1 or maybe on a good week 2 days per week (when home often others do the driving).

I am sure you are all in the same boat - and Stimpy you don't count....
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
My car has sat in the garage since Sept 5th and will for another week.

I've put less than 20,000 miles on it in 63 months; of that 9,500 of that was commuting from L.A. to S.D roughly 3X a week during a six month stretch back in 1999.

Actually I get concerned about my car when I don't drive it for long periods as I've heard thats not good for it either. I must qualify this as saying, I don't know squat about the mechanics of a car.

Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:28 pm

Driving it once a week isn't bad, as long as you go farther than the 7/11 up the street. You should try to go at least 10-12 miles without shutting it off--this will get any condensation out of the exhaust system and other places. This will also help keep the battery topped off, will help keep the various gaskets & seals moist, and will keep other important stuff well lubricated.

If I was gone more than 2 weeks, I'd arrange for someone I trusted to take it for a (figurative) spin every week or two, for the above reason.

I've been renting cars more for out-of-town trips, as I've figured 200 mile or more saves my non-profit budget some money, saves the mileage on my car, and I can get a 1/2 Southwest credit .

JP

[This message has been edited by j379pa (edited 09-30-2003).]
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
My rental car is my personal car.

I live next to a Park and Ride and work downtown. I take a bus everywhere I need to go. When I need a car, I just run down to SEA and grab a Volvo S80 from Hertz. Between insurance, tabs, license, and just monthly payments, considering I need a car once a month, if that, paying Hertz $100 a day saves me a bundle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.