Wiki Posts
Search

SEA during the Christmas Season

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAir, NW, Hilton, Marriott
SEA during the Christmas Season

I decided to show my 13 yr old daughter what 1st class is all about and have decided to go to Seattle for Christmas. The tickets didn't cost me anything but I am afraid that the living/hotel accomodations might. Can anyone think of a place in Seattle (not necessarily downtown but that would be good too) that is good for a week- Dec 22 - 30th (on a teacher's salary) ?

Anyone know of someone who needs house sitting? (I know that sounds out there, but you would be surprised at some of the places I have stayed - just for asking.)

Posting here or emailing me at [email protected] is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:18 am

Being a native I might suggest staying in either Bremerton or Bainbridge, walking to the ferry and taking it to Seattle. Rates are cheaper and you might enjoy the ride. I would also make it a point to visit Tacoma's tribute to Dale Chauly and to also vist Philchuck where some of the worlds best glass blowers learn, teach, and display. Its about an hour north of Seattle in Stanwood.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
I've had decent results with Priceline, they have many hotels in Seattle area.

Another place I stayed at is Moore hotel. Great location near Pike Place market, but the bathroom is down the hall for cheaper rooms.

However, for $49 a night its a great deal.
http://www.moorehotel.com/rates.htm
Old Sep 29, 2003, 3:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shawnigan lake slob:
Being a native I might suggest staying in either Bremerton or Bainbridge, walking to the ferry and taking it to Seattle. Rates are cheaper and you might enjoy the ride. </font>
I live on Bainbridge, and I would advise against staying in the West Sound during the holidays - the value equation gets....tweaked. The one non-B&B property on the island is Perfectly Adequate - but nothing special.

Strangely, I'm a frequent purchaser of hotels in Seattle - there are times I just can't justify fighting the ferry back and forth, and I frequently have to stay in Seattle if I want to be assured of being on the first flight of the day. So, I'm pretty familiar with local rates and the properties. My thoughts:

1) Get a car; Seattle's charms are not concentrated in the downtown core (that said, it's a great downtown - it's just that there's gobs of other stuff to do and the alternatives transportation-wise are pretty bleak). Outside of a 10x20 block area in the core of downtown, parking is cheeeeap and plentiful.

2) I don't know what your expectations are for hotel quality and luxury, and specifcally what your budget is, but there is an oversupply of mid-market rooms in this area and b) if you don't mind being out in the burbs a bit, you can save a ton of money. Priceline users (myself included) can be rabid about how bloody expensive 4* rooms are in the Downtown zone (winning bids are *RARELY* under $100/night, which is quite high for PL). The beauty is, there's a ton of 3* and rates are really low. People get suites near one of the major malls for $35 pretty consistently, a 3* at the Airport for $32 and lake-view rooms near downtown for under $50. If you can't bear the thought of bidding for travel or using an opaque booking engine, my choice would be the Homewood Suites on Lower Queen Anne. I know that they have very deep discounts for holiday-season bookings, and the location is an excellent base to explore - walking distance to Pacific Science Center, Key Arena, the Opera House, the Space Needle, Experience Music Project and the Monorail. The rooms are nicely sized and appointed, too. Try both their website/800# *and* a call to the hotel directly.

Enjoy your stay in Seattle.

Eric
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:59 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Hotels in Bellevue priceline a lot lower than the ones in Seattle, and its a quick drive or bus ride into town. The Hyatt comes up often and its right across the street from the Mall and lots of other shopping. I can't imagine that the hotels are going to be full at that time of year..this isnt a Christmastime mecca destination. Parking is cheaper out this way too

I hope you're making time to visit your FT friends while you're in town!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The Homewood Suites on lower Queen Anne is an excellent idea. It's new, well located, within walking distance of Belltown and Queen Anne restaurants.

You might also try The Claremont Hotel, which is a little closer to the city center -- an older property, reasonably priced.

If you are very price conscious, plan to rent a car for your stay and are open to Priceline, you can specify four-star in the Seattle-Tacoma Airport area and end up in the Doubletree for as little as $20 a night. The airport zone is 20 minutes from the downtown core.

I would strongly advise against staying at the Moore Hotel, especially if you have a child to look out for. I work across the street from the Moore... and can look in the windows... take my word.

I would just warn you to maximize use what little daylight you've got during your visit. You'll be here during the darkest days of the year -- it's undark outside from 8am to 4pm, period. And it could be rainy/chilly, too. So drive out to Snoqualmie or Woodinville or ride the ferries while you have light, then dine and shop while it's dark.

Get your hotel concierge to line up dinner reservations for you in advance -- things will be crowded during Christmas week.

You and your daughter might enjoy the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train, which takes you on a three-hour circuit through nearby countryside aboard vintage stainless-steel railroad cars... again, advance bookings are vital... see www.spiritofwashingtondinnertrain.com.

Feel free to email me for restaurant suggestions -- just indicate what your daughter likes.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I would also opt for pricelining in bellevue or seattle and avoiding the Moore hotel for the same reasons. Its in a "transitional area", but nothing that I would want anyone I care about getting transitioned into.

The Bellevue Hyatt is really nice and shows up on priceline, but they don't have a pool or gym, so if you want to amuse your kids that way, you may end up paying for it. Parking at the Hyatt is 11 a night, but you have in and out priveledges.

lala
Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:45 pm

You can get a private room (or stay in the dorms) at the Seattle Youth Hostel.
http://www.hiseattle.org

This is a nice place, as hostels go.

However, Priceline is likely to provide a better deal. We've gotten all of the following on Priceline, and been happy with them:

Inn at Queen Anne 2*
Sixth Avenue Inn 1*
Summerfield Suites 2.5* (this is especially nice, and provides as much room as most 1-bedroom apartments). I'd even recommend booking it direct if you are planning on spending that much anyway.

I would not stay outside downtown Seattle/Seattle Center.
I'd also suggest the Seattle City Pass for you and your daughter. My daughter (age 12) really enjoys visiting these places.
http://www.citypass.net

[This message has been edited by WillTravel (edited 09-30-2003).]
Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
...the Moore hotel for the same reasons. Its in a "transitional area", but nothing that I would want anyone I care about getting transitioned into.</font>
LMAO

So true... so true!
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAir, NW, Hilton, Marriott
I knew you guys would come through with great suggestions. The last time I was in SEA I did a lot of walking around downtown and thanks to Missydarling, a trip to Boeing - which I plan to do with Lauren. And yes, Missydarling, if I possibly can set up an impromptu meeting of folks that would be great this time around as well.

I am going to see what I can get through priceline and figure out if I want a car for the whole week or not. The last time I was there the bus wasn't too bad, but that was when there was good weather. Maybe I will rethink that.

This is definately going to be a not-so-humdrum-Christmas-break vacation. I can't wait!

Thanks all =o)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.