Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On Upgrading with Family/Friends

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

On Upgrading with Family/Friends

I am pretty new to all of this and I don't even have status with any airline but I do with a couple of hotel chains. I did learn one thing about myself: getting upgraded with others is more important than getting upgraded by myself. I have spent countless nights in an upgraded better room/suite. Nice. I appreciate it. Most of the time it works, and when it doesn't I am bothered that my 'status' did not come through, yet, I don't really need a suite. It's just stroking my ego.

But when I am traveling with friends and family, they have heard the upgrade stories and now it's really important that something comes through. To me at this point, it really doesn't matter where I personally sit/sleep, I just want it to be good for everyone else and, in a way, impress them with my status to get a great room/seat (without paying for it.)

I think that's why some people really get irate when they are with some uninitiated friend/family member and then they don't get the benefit. Anyone share this sentiment? It was soooo much more fun when my non-traveling gf saw the room we got during the last trip.

- Michael
Old Sep 11, 2003, 12:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I never get irate if I don't get an upgrade, even when travelling with friends and family. Most of my F&F don't stay at better hotels so just staying at a higher end hotel is really a treat for them. Yes my family is well aware of some awesome upgrades I have received on the road with and without them but they certainly don't get upset or irate if an upgrade doesn't come through.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by michaelr:
I just want it to be good for everyone else and, in a way, impress them with my status to get a great room/seat (without paying for it.)
</font>
Michael

Upgrades are great but what you touch on here is exactely the problem that airlines/hotels have created.

People expect something for nothing - that's why a lot of airlines are in dire straits - no one ever paid the higher fares!

I think you should take the view that you get what you pay for - if you get upgraded, great, but don't expect it.

If you want to sit/sleep in a better cabin/room then either pay the price or give an airline/hotel a LOT of business.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
I think you should take the view that you get what you pay for - if you get upgraded, great, but don't expect it.

If you want to sit/sleep in a better cabin/room then either pay the price or give an airline/hotel a LOT of business.
</font>
If only everyone could see it this way wise words LondonElite
Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:19 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
I think the issue is really about feeling important and showing off for others. You really need to not worry about impressing other people.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 8:35 am

Of course the issue is about 'showing off' and if I read Michael correctly I completely agree, though I'd put it like this.

If I stay 75 nights with a certain hotel brand and that might get me just one upgrade a year, I'd much prefer that upgrade to come around when I was travelling with my wife. I could care less if I get a suite when I'm clocking up the status, getting in from some office somewhere at 9pm and heading out again at 8 the following morning, but I sure would appreciate one when I'm making a weekend stay and aren't on my own . . .
Old Sep 11, 2003, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I agree with both LondonElite and kiwibigdave -- upgrades are nice when you're on your own, but better when you're with your spouse and can really savor them.

I never feel cheated when I don't get a free upgrade, only pleased when I do. Besides, if I'm checking in at 9pm and leaving at 6am, what am I honestly going to do in a suite anyway? I'm still only going to fall asleep in front of Conan.

When in front of colleagues or friends, though, I do think a person looks more silly making a fuss about no upgrade than he looks powerful when he snares one. Life is too short...
Old Sep 12, 2003, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I still think that if You NEED a suite, Pay for it.. that way you can impress her/him with the suite, if you pay for it, maybe she will think you are a high roller big spender.

Like others have said, U/g are nice, i like them, they are better with others, however if I NEED one, I reserve one and pay for it

I keep going back to the story someone posted on FT where he had his entire family with him and was upset that he didn't get upgraded to a suite for 8 nights.

Yeah right, if you need one, pay for it, otherwise don't expect a hotel to give you one for free for 8 nights.. It really was quite a ridiculous expectation that person had of a frequent stay program

Old Sep 12, 2003, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kiwibigdave:
Of course the issue is about 'showing off' and if I read Michael correctly I completely agree, though I'd put it like this.. . .I'd much prefer that upgrade to come around when I was travelling with my wife. . . .I sure would appreciate one when I'm making a weekend stay and aren't on my own(edited by DaDOK)
</font>
I think there is a difference between wanting to enjoy an upgrade with your wife/GF/what-have-you and 'impressing' someone with the upgrade. I have to agree with the above poster that the need to feel important and to impress people, even a GF,
seems rather . . . insecure.

------------------
Da DOK

[This message has been edited by DaDOKin DC (edited 09-12-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.