Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bulkhead seats and the dolts who sometimes sit in them

Bulkhead seats and the dolts who sometimes sit in them

Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jim Williams:
I wish the airlines would install seats that don't recline! We'd all be (more or less) comfortable then.</font>
Uncomfortable, you mean. Some recline is necessary for anything past a short duration.

Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:54 am

I beg to differ. Reclining is not necessary, even on a long flight.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WillTravel:
I beg to differ. Reclining is not necessary, even on a long flight.</font>
That's not what my aching back tells me whenever I'm stuck in a non-reclining seat.

Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taucher:
That's not what my aching back tells me whenever I'm stuck in a non-reclining seat.
</font>
You're right - I can't speak for your back.
Still, I'd tend to think that physical therapists would favor some sort of non-slouching upright position with the abdominal muscles pulled in - that's what they always recommend for me at a desk job.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Has anyone ever thought about designing a coach airplane seat where the seat moves forward when it reclines? I've seen this on trains and it works well as the back of the seat never enters the space of the person sitting behind. If the person in front of the recliner also has his seat reclined, the recliner would not even loose any leg space.

I'm not an industrial designer, but this seems like a good idea to me.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
What if there is a seat reclined in my space as I try to get out?</font>
I've never had a problem leaving a seat, window or aisle, with the seat in front of me reclined. It's common courtesy to refrain from bouncing the person in front of you. Maybe clumsy or elderly people might have a problem and need more support. But most people have the ability to get out of their seat without bumping the reclined seat in front of them.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 6:10 pm

I think that exiting without touching a reclined seat in front have required the grace of a ballerina on my last Air Transat flight (no one reclined into me, though, so not an issue). I've read the legroom on Air Transat flights is only 28-30", and I'm a tad wobbly and stiff when arising from a couple hours of complete confinement. Balance and safety comes first.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Might be interesting to do an experiment where seats have no limit to the recline just to see what people would do.

I'd imagine that in in coach sections on some airlines with bad coach seat pitches (like CO), the seating and recline stop were designed assuming more seat pitch than the airline is actually providing. Probably also true on older planes like NW's where the coach gets packed tighter with each long visit to the hangar.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:47 am

I suggested non-reclining seats after testing it myself on 6 flights of slightly over 6 hours each. Over the past year or so I've flown on AA between Santa Cruz, Bolivia and Miami and just out of curiosity I kept the seat in the upright position for the whole flight. These flights were usually sold out too. It wasn't bad at all!
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:56 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
My my, what a bunch of intolerant candy butts we have become. Perhapse some of you have forgotten that the airline doesnt promise that your nap time will be uninterupted, nor that the tray table will accomodate your laptop. If your business is so important you should A) finish it before you get on the plane or B) charter your own plane. I am disabled, and it is not possible to get out of even an aisle seat without disturbing the passenger seated in front of me. It is also less painfull for me to remain seated if the seat is fully reclined. I will always use as much of the seat pitch as the airline gives me. They have determined that there is enough room for both of us. Even if the airline is wrong, we both have the same ammount of space to work with. And if you kick me in the back I will politely ask you to stop. If you don't, I'll call over the FA's and point out your assault.
edited to add... If you want to point your air supply at me, please, Knock yourself out. I can never get enough air!

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 09-04-2003).]
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mert:
It's as simple as this -- if you're in front of me and recline your seat more than a little, you're on my knees. If you stop there, it's annoying, but that's life -- the thing is, plenty of people won't stop there and will -- WHAM! -- keep trying -- WHAM! -- to get their seat backs -- WHAM! -- fully reclined. (My knees are hurting just typing this.) That's at best inconsiderate and ignorant, and at worst assault. Rarely does a simple polite request get the miscreant off my knees. More likely, the jerk gets tired of seat back shaking or the pushing in the small of his or her back (caused by my BRUISED KNEES), and twice, unpleasant conversations have lead to the jerk pushing the attendant call button -- and both times, the attendant told the jerk to get off my poor knees.</font>
You put it better than I could. I've gotten bruises that took weeks to go away from the WHAM!-ers, and the surprise WHAM! has even elicited a few audible yelps.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
My my, what a bunch of intolerant candy butts we have become. Perhapse some of you have forgotten that the airline doesnt promise that your nap time will be uninterupted, nor that the tray table will accomodate your laptop. If your business is so important you should A) finish it before you get on the plane or B) charter your own plane. I am disabled, and it is not possible to get out of even an aisle seat without disturbing the passenger seated in front of me. It is also less painfull for me to remain seated if the seat is fully reclined. I will always use as much of the seat pitch as the airline gives me. They have determined that there is enough room for both of us. Even if the airline is wrong, we both have the same ammount of space to work with. And if you kick me in the back I will politely ask you to stop. If you don't, I'll call over the FA's and point out your assault.
edited to add... If you want to point your air supply at me, please, Knock yourself out. I can never get enough air!

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 09-04-2003).]
</font>
I agree with your statements. If you want the luxuries of enough space for a laptop, you should be flying business class.

It's not my fault that the seat reclines so far. If anyone started tapping my chair and ask me to slide it forward, i'd simply tell them no, and then, ask them to move their seat forward, since in many cases, it is probably reclined as well.

As for HigherFlyer and being disabled but concerned about disrupting the forward passenger. That I can accept without a second thought, not someone acting rude since i'm in their "space" as my seat reclines.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
Just as bad as someone reclining on you is the dolt who insists on using the seat-back in front of them as a crutch when getting up/down. The resultant shaking back and forth can be QUITE annoing. In my experience this kind of traveler also gets up/down frequently.

Originally posted by RustyC:
Too true. It's also enough to wake people up on longer flights, making it extra rude. Many people who do it don't seem to realize whay they're doing.

</font>
Right on. My worst experience was an old lady who grabbed my seat back -- and a fist tull of my hair -- to hoist herself up. I yelled out a screamed and told her to watch where she put her hands. She had that dazed i'm-on-vacation look.
Old Sep 10, 2003, 3:41 pm

jwrede posted:
1. I think the one courtesy that all travelers can extend to one-another is to "look before your recline". I've had my laptop screen crunched, and my knees bruised by people who hit the button and lean back like they're taking G's. All it takes is a little look back (and if the person has a laptop open, maybe a word of warning), and then SLOWLY leaning the seat back.

2. Ok, one last thing before I get off my soapbox. Storing your bags when you fly bulkhead. I get angry when I see people who are lazy, and put their bags in the first available coach bin and then walk to the rear of the aircraft.
(edited by DaDOK)

1. I think that is the most reasonable, albeit uncommon, approach. In all my flying, I have had ONE person turn and ask me if I minded if she reclined her seat. I said 'no problem'. After about 10 minutes, it was getting uncomfortable, but somehow it was more tolerable because she asked first (and I let her). Mercifully, it was a short flight.

2. For me, Those people have a special place in hell (next to a mother changing a d baby's diaper,,,,, but I digress ). It may force you to place your bags in a bin behind your seat -- and good luck getting them until after the whole plane as emptied. If the FA's would enforce that rule and the # and size of overhead bags, life would be a lot easier.

------------------
Da DOK
Old Sep 10, 2003, 3:57 pm

I think the point was made earlier that all pax on a flight are equally inconvenienced, but what seems to irritate most people about the Seatback Recliners and Seatback Grabbers is the feeling that their comfort should come at the expense of additional discomfort to those around them.

If you have a physical limitation -- be it a bad back, or 6'4'' -- I think most people are understanding. But there is often the sense of 'I'm going to make myself comfort and to hell with you.'

If you were stuck in a crowded elevator, would you take it upon yourself to portion out 5 square feet for yourself, while the other 8 perople crammed in the corner?

And I don't believe the airlines determined the angle recline of the planes flying today. They made that determination 30years ago, then jammed an extra 20-25 seats in the cabin so that the pitch is now in the low 30s. I mean, do people in FC complain about Seatback Recliners? No -- because there is enough room to move your legs if they do.

------------------
Da DOK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.