Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Middle seat diaper change

Middle seat diaper change

Old Aug 3, 2003, 6:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by divaof travel:
So where do you change the diaper? My wife once tried it on the floor in the back, and the FA told her to do it on the seat.

</font>
In which case if I was seated next to them I'd insist that they change it on the FA's seat !

nigel
Old Aug 3, 2003, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
How would you propose that we "license" future parents?

Do you want the TSA to do it? The SEC? The FCC? The FBI? The CIA?

How about bring back the Nazi's? They seem to have the best control on how to breed a superior race, didn't they???

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by corbetti:
Hardly

When people abuse that "freedom" and start imposing their screaming, kicking, brat on my right to a reasonable amount of peace and quiet, then their irresponsibility (you know, with freedom comes responsibility) needs to be addressed.

Being a parent isn't some sainthood or get out of jail free card - like I said before, it's ironic that we need a license to drive but not to have kids.
</font>
Old Aug 3, 2003, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Let me re-emphasize my previous post with:

Old Aug 4, 2003, 6:28 am

Obviously an emotive topic but don't for a second think this topic is anything to do with the health risks, because if that was the case HigherFlyer would be equally upset about people sneezing on the plane they travelled in.

So try to get this in perspective and realise that it's all about sensibilities - and some people, like HigherFlyer, are clearly not impressed with seeing a naked and dirty butt in the seat next to them. Equally some parents would never consider changing their baby in front of complete strangers because they realise that, right or wrong, some people DO find it offensive.

I'd be quite happy to have neither the particular mother who the question was first asked about nor HigherFlyer sitting next to me . . .
Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:09 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kiwibigdave:
Obviously an emotive topic but don't for a second think this topic is anything to do with the health risks, because if that was the case HigherFlyer would be equally upset about people sneezing on the plane they travelled in.

So try to get this in perspective and realise that it's all about sensibilities - and some people, like HigherFlyer, are clearly not impressed with seeing a naked and dirty butt in the seat next to them. Equally some parents would never consider changing their baby in front of complete strangers because they realise that, right or wrong, some people DO find it offensive.

I'd be quite happy to have neither the particular mother who the question was first asked about nor HigherFlyer sitting next to me . . .
</font>
'Obviously', kiwibigdave hasn't read my posts. Again, I have NO PROBLEM with babies on the plane. Once more for the 'obviously' dim witted, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH BABIES ON THE PLANE! I DO have a problem with feces on the seat. I have not and would not discourage ANYONE from flying with or without babies. In fact if the mother (or father) is obviously in need of assistance, I would gladly take the baby TO THE LAV and change them myself. As for sneezing, as long as you cover your face when you do it(this is kindergarten stuff), go ahead and sneeze! A sneeze is an involuntary reaction. Changing a diaper is not. It is not the baby's butt that is offensive, it is the open feces and the adult wielding it in an enclosed space where others are present. As for my sensibilities, I am much more offended by your accusations that I would put myself above the child, or anyone else. Beleive me, the difference between sitting next to me versus the diaper changer is, you will never know if you were seated next to me.
Edited for spelling.

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 08-04-2003).]
Old Aug 4, 2003, 9:42 am

Talking of an inability to read posts, where did you see it in the topic about faeces on seats except where you wrote it? I also never wrote anything about your preference for babies on planes. What I did write was that some people, and I include you in this group because your own comments reflect it, aren't impressed with a naked and dirty butt in the seat next to them.

Anyway, and as I also wrote, this all really just needs to be put in perspective. You're far more likely whilst airborne to catch the common cold or headlice from your well-mannered fellow passengers than ecoli from a diaper change.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:16 am

I hate it when small kids are in the same plane with me on a long-haul flight - especially if they are my own! It's hard to imagine anything more stressful than travelling with your toddlers and a bunch of angry pax.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:22 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kiwibigdave:
Talking of an inability to read posts, where did you see it in the topic about faeces on seats except where you wrote it?</font>
Sorry, my bad. My post should have read *at* the seat, not *on* the seat.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:10 pm

Talking of an inability to read posts, where did you see it in the topic about faeces on seats except where you wrote it? I also never wrote anything about your preference for babies on planes. What I did write was that some people, and I include you in this group because your own comments reflect it, aren't impressed with a naked and dirty butt in the seat next to them.

Anyway, and as I also wrote, this all really just needs to be put in perspective. You're far more likely whilst airborne to catch the common cold or headlice from your well-mannered fellow passengers than ecoli from a diaper change.
</font>
I apologize. I have gotten so used to the personal attacks from others in this thread, that I projected them onto you just because you mentioned my name. Aparently all we disagree on is the severity of the faux pas in the original subject. You are correct about the unchecked sneezing and the possibility of personal infestation. However I would dissagree that one is more likely than the other if all were present on the same plane in the seat next to you(ie. a free-sneezing parent with lice who changes a baby ).
Edited to add smiley.

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 08-04-2003).]
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:31 pm

</font>
Just for the record, Yes. If there comes a thread where someone tries to defend un-checked sneezing or picking at head lice or open sores, or nose picking, or toenail clipping, or other behavior that threatens the health or safety of other pax, I would be just as adamant in my oposition.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by erik123:
I hate it when small kids are in the same plane with me on a long-haul flight - especially if they are my own! It's hard to imagine anything more stressful than travelling with your toddlers and a bunch of angry pax.</font>
I have the utmost sympathy for parents travelling with babies or small children -- they really are not 'built' for long rides in confined areas. Putting aside the diaper issue for a moment, I think most passengers are understanding of a crying infant, as there is not much you can to about that.

But many (including me) do draw the line at older children who are misbehaving (you know -- kicking of the seat, flipping the tray up and down 100x, screaming at the top of their lungs because you took a crayon out of their hand) and the parents have not exerted any control over them.

As an aside, -- and very much on point --

I just took took Amtrak from DC to PHL today and was treated with a diaper change a few seats away. The stench filled the car and hung there until I got off the train. Nothing like sitting in what smelled like a back up septic tank for 2 1/2 hours.

------------------
Da DOK

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.