Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ghostly stays -- anyone stayed in a haunted hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have heard there are supposedly haunted hotels where you can stay.

Have you stayed in one?

What if the ghost doesn't show up, do you get a discount?

An intriguing idea!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, Bellvue Biltmore in Belaire Florida. Great old hotel. No discounts for lack of ghosts.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Manresa Castle in Port Townsend, Washington is said to be haunted. We stayed in the allegedly haunted-est room on our honeymoon but saw nothing untoward.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Landmark Trust in the U.K. rents out historic buildings by the week (or sometimes even by the day), and some definitely have alleged resident ghosts!

Two of the flats Landmark Trust rents are in Hampton Court Palace -- which supposedly has the most ghosts of anyplace in England. However, on two separate stays, we didn't encounter any, although on our second stay we invited the "ghost warder" to dinner and he gave us a slide show about the spirits we were missing.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Hotel Del in Coronado. Supposedly certain rooms are haunted, but I think it's just those creaky floors. And a PR opportunity.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:22 pm
Suspended

I stayed in a B&B in YOW for a while when I first moved there. Didn't know it had a ghost until the second time it visited me. Asked the owner about the next morning at breakfast and he told me who he was, the circumstances of why he hung around etc. Not threatening at all - just kinda weird.

------------------
Too late is tomorrow's life; live for today.

Martial (1st century), Epigrams, I, 15
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel Del Coronodo, Coronodo, Calfornia (San Diego). Requested "the room" and got it. Room 3501, if I recall. Woke up covered in what looked like Guacamole. Also ghostly image kept appearing on the television set, until I realized it was just my reflection.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Yah, I've seen those tv shows where people stay in haunted hotels and usually nothing happens.

In working with hypnosis, I've noticed that if you open the door to the subconcious alot of strange things will start happening, including what I call "mind visits" during the night. Kinda in the realm of Freddie, like between sleep and being awake, where you are aware of what's real, like where and who you are, but what you're dreaming also feels real.

What you experience may only be unique to you, but it will definitely feel real and weird, like a ghost visit, if that's what you're looking for.

Just do your best during the alpha state, that moment just before falling asleep, to open your mind to a visitation. Take some deep breaths, make yourself relaxed and tell yourself what you think you need to hear to open yourself up.

Getting tipsy helps too

But, just so you know, there are some that say evil entities are just waiting around for people to come by in some weakened state (emotionally, psychologically, physically, etc.), or with their mind fully open (think Ouji(?) board players), so they can, like, attach themselves and feed off their unsuspecting victim's energy.

Maybe you should learn to do some white light cleansing work first
Old Jul 19, 2003, 9:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Hotel Del Coronodo, Coronodo, Calfornia (San Diego). Requested "the room" and got it. Room 3501, if I recall. Woke up covered in what looked like Guacamole. </font>
What??? Covered??? Eeewww. Was it really guacamole, you WERE only miles from Mexico, by the way......what in the world was it???? Really sounds gross, PremEx!
Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:19 am

Programs: BA
There are plenty of hotels in old castles etc in Britain, and they always seem to come with a ghost.

Mind you, it's always just in one room, or corridor, so those who don't like the idea aren't put off the hotel either. Amazing, really, just how a marketing department would like it to be .....!!
Old Jul 20, 2003, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Many hotels in Hawai'i are haunted because many were built on sacred lands. Those especially haunted are the ones on the Kohala Coast on the Big Island.

Although I haven't heard of anything recently, a few buildings of the HWV is haunted. Most of the other hotels, however, like the ones in Waikiki are okay because Waikiki was once a swamp land filled in, so ancient Hawaiians didn't frequent the area.

ALOHA
Old Jul 20, 2003, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA operates a hotel on board. Several people have died over the years on the Queen Mary and many are reputed to still haunt the ship. If you go to http://www.queenmary.com/ and click on the Ghost tour you can learn more.

So I recommend taking your SO who is afraid of ghosts on this tour and then spend the night on board. He/She will not get much sleep with the creaking of the old boat, but it will be a memorable experience as I know firsthand.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 7:15 pm

I don't know if I should admit this, but many years ago, when we were newlyweds, my hubby and I embarked on a cross-country drive with my in-laws! (maybe it was all a nightmare!)We spent one unforgettable night at the Grand Canyon Lodge. My In-laws had a nice 2-bed room, while we, needing our privacy, slept in the adjoining room on a fold-out couch. Well, we had a guest! The room was as dark as could be with no light entering the window or under the door, when we noticed a light circling our room. It drifted along the ceiling and along the top of the walls. We couldn't figure out where it could be coming from. We watched it for a long time. Finally, we were so spooked out, we crept into the next room and climbed into the spare bed. Neither one of us believes in ghosts..but......
Old Jul 21, 2003, 7:30 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardInSF:
Landmark Trust in the U.K. rents out historic buildings by the week (or sometimes even by the day), and some definitely have alleged resident ghosts!

Two of the flats Landmark Trust rents are in Hampton Court Palace -- which supposedly has the most ghosts of anyplace in England. However, on two separate stays, we didn't encounter any, although on our second stay we invited the "ghost warder" to dinner and he gave us a slide show about the spirits we were missing.
</font>
We stayed at Hampton Court Palace a couple of years ago. Awakened in the middle of the night by what my wife swears was a woman screaming (I was not alert enough to identify a particular sound--kind of groggy). Alleged to by the ghost of Anne Boleyn.

Djlawman
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:26 pm

The Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, CO (http://www.hotelcolorado.com/) is currently in the news as one of the places Kobe Bryant visited during his recent eventful stay in the Vail area, but if you ever stay there, they have guided tours that go into its haunted history (http://www.haunted-attraction.com/real.htm, scroll down to Glenwood Springs).

[This message has been edited by jonu (edited 07-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by jonu (edited 07-21-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.