Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Take Off Your Shoes Or We Will Wand You!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Executive, AirTran Elite, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold VIP, Her

Traveling out of DCA concourse B today the TSA Agent at the security checkpoint told me and everyone else in line that if you don't take off your shoes they will pull you to the side and do a "random" wanding and check even if you DON'T set off the alarm. She said that as of yesterday this is a new policy. Has anyone else experienced this? This is absolutely going too far! What am I going to hide in my shoe that I can't say tape to the inside of my pants or hide somewhere else on my body? I travel twice a week and this is completely unacceptible to me - this is the straw that finally pushed me over the limit. IF this is true and not just some TSA agent on a power trip then I will definitely start voicing my opinion hard with my vote (and start lobbying for others).
Old May 30, 2003, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Absolutely we've experienced this.

Check posts in "News" and "Travel and security" forum.

I'm glad that many travellers are sick of the idiots in charge d*cking around with us.

It's time for a change, quickly...
Old May 30, 2003, 10:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There are some who have been told it happens when they go to Orange, it will be interesting to see if it keeps up or not with the change back down.
Old May 31, 2003, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Only certain airports are doing this. In my personal experience this week, IAD and LAX don't. SFO does.
Old May 31, 2003, 12:54 pm

How would a wanding catch C-4 in the shoes anyway?
Old May 31, 2003, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thisworldtraveler:
How would a wanding catch C-4 in the shoes anyway?</font>
That's the $64,000 question...
Old May 31, 2003, 1:45 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
In PHX the other day, the TSA agent (the usual Jack In The Box reject) has abruptly informed us that "the regulations have changed, and now ALL pax in PHX have to take off their shoes, regardless if its slippers, sneakers, dress shoes, anything at all"
I said that I travel several times a week and I have always gone through that check point with my shoes on as I specifically buy shoes that have no metal in them for travel. He threatened to "do some extra security checks on me"... Welcome to the New World Order, where idiots rule!

I apologize for this rant...Im just very upset with the people at TSA.

[This message has been edited by asnovici (edited 05-31-2003).]
Old May 31, 2003, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Expereinced @PHX & EWR.
Old May 31, 2003, 2:49 pm
Original Member

Your outrage is perfectly understandable, because of course you could not possibly be the next Richard Reid.

Djlawman
Old May 31, 2003, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
What time was you flight? I also flew out of DCA on Delta Connection and had the same situation. When I asked the TSA woman why I should take off sneakers, she refused to answer but just sent me for wanding.

Next flight from BOS-YuL was exactly the same situation, everyone had to take off their shoes. The woman behind me was even forced to take off her sandals, even though she wasn't wearing any socks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dbk10:
Traveling out of DCA concourse B today the TSA Agent at the security checkpoint told me and everyone else in line that if you don't take off your shoes they will pull you to the side and do a "random" wanding and check even if you DON'T set off the alarm. She said that as of yesterday this is a new policy. Has anyone else experienced this? This is absolutely going too far! What am I going to hide in my shoe that I can't say tape to the inside of my pants or hide somewhere else on my body? I travel twice a week and this is completely unacceptible to me - this is the straw that finally pushed me over the limit. IF this is true and not just some TSA agent on a power trip then I will definitely start voicing my opinion hard with my vote (and start lobbying for others).</font>
Old May 31, 2003, 3:34 pm

SJC May 26 shoes set off alarm, head to toe wanding, slow, slow, slow. These are my flying shoes, have done many miles, and this is the first time they set off the beeper. I wondered if the alarm went to orange?

DCA May 30, same shoes, no alarm, not asked to remove them. But, they are still doing gate inspections for some, random or not pull-outs from line.

Sylvia
Old May 31, 2003, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thisworldtraveler:
How would a wanding catch C-4 in the shoes anyway?</font>
Yeah, because all the extra security checks the shoe bomber had over the two days were so effective.

I fly usually in rockports, so they always come off, bot don't understand it for a minute with flip flops and the like.

Old May 31, 2003, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Right.

And shoes are the only place that terrorists hide explosives. No place else. If we check all the shoes then we are safe. Praise Loy!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Djlawman:
Your outrage is perfectly understandable, because of course you could not possibly be the next Richard Reid.

Djlawman
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old May 31, 2003, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
If you are a woman and wearing any kind of heals, you had better take off your shoes and put them in a bin or they will make you go through all over again. I just recently experienced this in Honolulu. Now I automatically take them off whether or not they ask just so I won't have to go through again. This way they have no excuses.
Old May 31, 2003, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Experienced this at SEA on May 26.

They didn't tell me it was policy.. just asked me if I wanted to run my shoes through so that I don't beep.

I said that I always wear shoes that don't set off the alarm when I travel.

The TSidiot replied
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Okay. You'll get the treatment then."</font>
And they sent me over for secondary screening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.