Wiki Posts
Search

Taking Sheesha (arabian water pipe) thru TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM
Taking Sheesha (arabian water pipe) thru TSA

I purchased a small Sheesha in the Middle East and am curious what people think about getting a hassle from the TSA. I can avoid taking it thru TSA by changing travel plans.

It has a blunt edge tweezer type tool to place to pick up hot coals.

Also concerned if it will spark typical racist and xenophobic reaction, even though I am white.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:30 am
cervisiam

can you mail the tool back?

Old Jul 2, 2003, 11:17 am

Forget the TSA, I would be more concerned about customs and importing "drug paraphenalia" (sp?). I know its really far fetched but if you catch the wrong customs guy, he/she could theoreticcally give you a hard time. Stranger things have happened..
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Forget the TSA, I would be more concerned about customs and importing "drug paraphenalia" (sp?). I know its really far fetched but if you catch the wrong customs guy, he/she could theoreticcally give you a hard time. Stranger things have happened..</font>
Is that really true? Vendors openly sell pipes, etc. in border towns in Mexico, and they're not selling to the locals. I've never seen anyone get nailed on that coming across.

Anyway, a Sheesha is actually a legitimate (and very nice) instrument of nicotine delivery! They sell them in Middle Eastern shops and delis in the Bay Area.

fiat_owner
Old Jul 2, 2003, 10:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
I (and many friends) bring them back all the time from Israel.

There are no hassles, especially if you bring back the flavored tabacco and can show that their is no contraband in it.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 5:40 am
Original Poster

I am really not worried about US customs -- my concern is the even bigger clowns known as the TSA.

FYI, the Sheesha passed through 2 Egyptian X-rays, one manual Egyptian search and an Austrian X-ray, so far.

BTW, is there any limit on how much Sheesha tobacco one technically can bring into the US? I looked at the US customs website, horrible piece of work, and the only specific mention is regarding 200 cigs and 100 cigars.

Old Jul 3, 2003, 5:46 am

how are those different from the water pipes used to smoke marijuana?
Old Jul 3, 2003, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LemonThrower:
how are those different from the water pipes used to smoke marijuana?</font>
They are waaay too big to take to a quiet riot concert.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LemonThrower:
how are those different from the water pipes used to smoke marijuana?</font>
marijuana bongs don't usually have hoses.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
I am really not worried about US customs -- my concern is the even bigger clowns known as the TSA.</font>
Not to worry -- the TSA is not (I REPEAT NOT) a law enforcement agency. Their sole purpose is to look important and take sharp and pointy objects from travelers. If you can show that your glass pipe is not sharp and pointy then you are all set.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
Not to worry -- the TSA is not (I REPEAT NOT) a law enforcement agency. Their sole purpose is to look important and take sharp and pointy objects from travelers. If you can show that your glass pipe is not sharp and pointy then you are all set.</font>
This seems a tad naive. They are not a law enforcement agency -- we are splitting hairs here.

They may not have powers of arrest and they may not carry guns, but what is different?

You are required to submit to their searches if you must travel. It is compulsory.

And they will I am sure call the cops right over in a heartbeat, and the cops are the ones to put the cuffs on. Otherwise, what's the difference?

Old Jul 4, 2003, 5:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
Not to worry -- the TSA is not (I REPEAT NOT) a law enforcement agency. Their sole purpose is to look important and take sharp and pointy objects from travelers. </font>
The They'll Search Anything makes up the rules as they go. There have been numerous instances in the news where they have confiscated drugs and had people arrested.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 3:04 am
jer

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.
I have brought two of these back from the middle east. One had been smoked (tobacco only), JFK customs confiscated it. They told me I could wait until tests proved whether the residue from use contained THC, in which case I would be arrested!!! for importing a controlled substance. This was in 1988. I left it at customs because the other option was a huge hassel. They had my name and address, but i never heard form customs again and assume they tossed it. They also confiscated some curry powder i had picked up in malaysia since my mom is a curry snob.

Learning my lesson, I brought one back from Syria in the late 1990s, very ornamental and beautifully inscribed. It was unused, and they never even asked about it.

BTW, the weirdest one I ever saw was in Bonsia, where they make them by amalgamating various spent artillery shells.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

To conclude the thread, there was no problem with the TSA. I do this trick at IAD where I go thru transit immigration. The downside is that you get TSAed as you leave customs.

I succesfully took it thru Egyptian, Austrian, Swedish, LHR and TSA security.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
To conclude the thread, there was no problem with the TSA. I do this trick at IAD where I go thru transit immigration. The downside is that you get TSAed as you leave customs.

I succesfully took it thru Egyptian, Austrian, Swedish, LHR and TSA security.
</font>
Thanks very much for following up with us and letting us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.