Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Currency exchange -- various ways to be taken

Old Jul 11, 1999, 8:47 am
Original Poster

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Italy with my family. The bills are rolling in. The peculations of some of my favorite credit card companies is staggering. Sophisticated travelers out there probably know all this, but some may find it interesting.
Some cards and ATM currency exchanges were closer to the rate published by the Wall Street Journal than others, but all were taking something more than seems reasonable for just converting currency. What you gain in FF points you may be losing in currency conversion.
I think Diner's provided the best rate, but it is not definitive because I don't have the energy to make exact comparisons.
A good article appeared a while back in the LA Times. http://www.latimes.com/HOME/TRAVEL/I...000041452.html
Old Jul 11, 1999, 9:38 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
my (swiss-) credit cards (Diners & Eurocard/Mastercard & VISA) don't even give miles on what I withdraw from ATM machines ...
Old Jul 11, 1999, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Good article. I always new that there was around a 1% conversion charge, but didn not know that some banks could charge a higher conversion fee. I will make sure that my bank(credit union) does not...don't think so because they are a credit union and are not as profit motivated. Boycott those new charges by switching to a card that doesn't go above 1%. My USAA cash and debit Mastercard will rebate 1/2% of all purchases and rebate 10 foreign ATM charges up to $1.50 each...great deal.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aubie- In the the past 2-3 weeks it was announced most cards are raising their currancy conversion fees from typically 1-1.5% to 2-3%. As I remember almost all major cards are following suit. Let us know if you find a card that is not going down this path. I am willing to switch.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 4:19 pm

I believe Diners Club is still at 1% and holding.

If anyone would like an application (you get 2,000 points per month for each month you use the card during the first 12 months and I get 6,000 points for referring you), drop me an e-mail. The points are transferrable into miles at 2 points = 1 mile anytime, and sometimes with some airlines (like BA right now, and reportedly DL next February) at 1 for 1. That would be 24,000 bonus miles!

For more benefits of Diners Club (like 2 months to pay, primary insurance on rental cars, and airport lounges throughout the world) see the Diners Club forum.
Old Jul 11, 1999, 5:28 pm
ALW

Xenon (xe.net) offer a currency conversion service, updated minutely (i.e. every minute

Here are two of their extra services I find quite useful.

The Travel Expenses Calculator™ http://www.xe.net/tec/

This lets you provide a past date for the calculation, useful when you're submitting an expenses claim but don't have your statement yet. It's got a field for credit card charges (as a percentage), which is just as important as the exchange rate on a given date.

The Credit Card Charges Calculator™ http://www.xe.net/ccc/

This lets you determine your card's exact markup. You give it an actual transaction on a specific date, and it figures how much was the bank's cut.

Both very useful, both free.

andrew
Old Jul 12, 1999, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Another good currency rate site is http://www.oanda.com
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
What do you recommend doing for Europeans travelling to the US ?
Change Euros in Dollars/Dollar Traveler Cheques in Europe ?
Or change Euro cash in the US into $.
Withdraw from ATM in the US with a credit card ?
I do not think the European Maestro (debit) card can be used at ATMs in the US, it can for sure be used in Thailand, Australia, etc. and is IMO the best way to change money.

Or does anyone want to get Euros from me in exchange for dollars:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000793.html

read this thread!

We have to agree on the exchange rate and amount though .

Old Jul 13, 2003, 5:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flamboyant 1:
I do not think the European Maestro (debit) card can be used at ATMs in the US,
</font>

My ATM card has a Maestro logo on it from a US Bank. Maestro should work where ever MasterCard or Cirrus work, they are all part of the MasterCard system.

ATM locator at

http://www.mastercard.com/cardholderservices/atm/

Though I believe just about every ATM in the United States is on the MasterCard system.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 2:42 am

Programs: UA, AA
Another transaction scam to watch out for regards credit card charges that are converted to USD by the merchant.

I encountered this scam in the Caribbean,, most notoriously in Jamaice. When charging to Visa/MC/AmEx, the merchant (most ofen a restaurant) will convert the bill, which is in Jam$ to US$. BUT, they used a conversion rate of 30:1 (Jam$:US$), when the bank rate was nearly 35:1 -- a quick 18% markup!

Once I caught on, I refused to sign the charge slip unless they wrote it up in Jam$. Begrudgingly, they did.

------------------
Da DOK
Old Jul 15, 2003, 3:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
I have a NATIONWIDE debit card issued in UK which allows free withdrawal of up to $600 in any US ATM machine. I normally use Bank One ATM machines which do not charge for use and the exchange rate is the best, very close to wholesale rate.
I am sure similar cards will be available in other countries in Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.