Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Round trip LAX to New Zealand - July/August - $220 + tax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2003, 4:51 pm
R&R

Lowest fare is $990.00 now.

Funny, this weekend on trip to FTL, I thought it was time for a trip to NZ, but didn't find this string until this afternoon!

Old Jun 11, 2003, 3:37 am

Wow such a fantastic fare to this little piece of the world, its a shame it didnt work in the other direction

For those who are coming, it will be fantastic to have you

For those who are in the North Island, don't forget about the Waitomo Caves,
keep in touch and hopefully we may be able to have lunch if you wanted to

For those who I said I would send information, its on it way

Hope everyone enjoys the trip out here.

Take care

Dave
Old Jun 11, 2003, 4:45 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Dave, for that price I'd fly over just to have dinner with you (of course I'd have to buy 2 seats to be in some comfort).
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:10 am

Originally posted by Mr.Staralliance

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For those who are in the North Island, don't forget about the Waitomo Caves</font>
I completely agree. On my first 2 trips to NZ I skipped this attraction as is sounded kinda like a big tourist trap. We took the tour this past Nov it was so interesting. What a visual spectacle, the caves and the glow worms. Amazing just how uniquely adapted these little creatures are. I'm sure someone can explain it better but it was well worth the stop.

Eric

edited because I'm a slow learner!

[This message has been edited by swflaboy (edited 06-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by swflaboy (edited 06-11-2003).]
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:28 am

Programs: UA1K
CAB747 and MRSTARALLIANCE, thanks for the welcomes.

My girlfriend has already dived into the Lonely Planet guide for NZ (lucky for me, she's a planner). She's told me under no uncertain terms that we will visit the Waitomo Caves... I've always had good luck with the Lonely Planet guides; any comments on the NZ guide? Any other pointers?

fiat_owner
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:23 am

Originally posted by fiat_owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">My girlfriend has already dived into the Lonely Planet guide for NZ (lucky for me, she's a planner). She's told me under no uncertain terms that we will visit the Waitomo Caves... I've always had good luck with the Lonely Planet guides; any comments on the NZ guide? Any other pointers?</font>
I use the Lonely Planet guides also. I have the 2002 edition right in front of me. I just read the section on the Waitomo Caves and I guess she must be put-off (as was I) by the paragraph that states
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The Glowworm Cave is the most popular cave, crammed with tourists being shuttled through, one tour after the other. The big tour busses peak at around lunch time. Try to go the first tour of the day.</font>
While this is true, they take a limited number of people on each tour with a guide. The tours are timed. Your time walking through the caves and in a boat on the underground river (where the glowworms are) is somewhat unmarred by the throngs of other tourists. They do keep the tour moving so as not to overlap the individual groups but it is not perfect. That was my experience.
I'm sure Mr.Staralliance could give much better advise.

Eric
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:42 am

I'm very happy for all here who can carve out the time to take advantage of this fabulously low fare. I am amazed so many can get away from their worklife seemingly so easily. I must be working for the wrong employer! How do you do that? Do you have 5-6 wks/yr vacation time or similar flexibility?
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Employer? Vot iss Employer pliss?
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:54 am

What job ? What a deal, too bad I cant go.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:17 pm

I was not able to find any fare lower than $1000 when I checked "dates flexible." Is the offer over/sold out? Has anybody been able to get the fare in the past day or so??
(Unfortunately I've been doing business travel and didn't catch this until today
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UpgradeMoi:
I'm very happy for all here who can carve out the time to take advantage of this fabulously low fare. I am amazed so many can get away from their worklife seemingly so easily. I must be working for the wrong employer! How do you do that? Do you have 5-6 wks/yr vacation time or similar flexibility?</font>
My S.O. was going to book us both but waited to get approval for the time off. Needless to say, the fare had disappeared

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jun 13, 2003, 4:37 am

Same issue with my S.O. He gets 5 weeks off/year and every holiday (banker) but the approval process takes a week or more so he decided not to go. Plus we are headed back to AU and NZ next Feb and (hopefully) I'll have enough UA miles for 2 F awards. I'm getting close.

If there is anyone else traveling solo that is over-nighting in PPT on Aug 22, I booked a room at the Sofitel and the price is the same for one or two ($172) and that includes breakfast. I'm looking for a roomie for the 10hrs to share the cost with. Email me.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 4:52 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swflaboy:
Same issue with my S.O. He gets 5 weeks off/year and every holiday (banker) but the approval process takes a week or more so he decided not to go. Plus we are headed back to AU and NZ next Feb and (hopefully) I'll have enough UA miles for 2 F awards. I'm getting close. </font>
This was a matter of hours, not days

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 06-13-2003).]
Old Jun 13, 2003, 7:11 am

Yep - you're working for the wrong employer. You should be working for yourself! That's how you do it.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:05 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

First of all many kudos to Oz for helping hundreds if not thousands of members get dream trips with these types of airfare deals.

I hope you all don't mind but I'll be moving this thread to TravelBuzz! where it's a bit more comfortable as a travel topic rather than here on MilesBuzz!. It's just that these types of threads prove popular and seem to spawn followup threads related to the airfare and the offer and of course that over time will clog up our attention to all things frequent flyer program related here in MilesBuzz!

Again, thanks to Oz and we want to see many more of these deals for the members of FlyerTalk... over in TravelBuzz!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.