Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best type of carry-on for wedding attire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

OK...I'm sure SOMEONE has done this + can give me some helpful hints

In two weeks, we fly LAX-OGG to get married in Maui

Things I need to carry on:
*Full length traditional wedding gown
*Veil, shoes, accessories
*Tux, shoes, accessories
*Two small bags of camera equipment

Options for luggage:
*Fold tux, gown, etc. neatly (as possible) into rolling 21" standard carry on, and use our small rolling back pack for camera equipment.
*Use our full size garment bag to put everything in (but I think it MIGHT be too big for standard carry on -- it's big)
*Use two department store zippered garment bags (it looks like the gown would have to be folded at the knee to fit), one for the gown, one for the tux, and put the shoes, accessories, and camera in rolling back pack

I did buy a steamer for the trip (and plan to test it tomorrow to see if it's worth taking). Presume one of the condos will have an iron if we need that.

Thanks for any help
Old May 29, 2003, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Garment bags don't hold much so I think the rollerbag is the better option.
Old May 29, 2003, 7:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
First of all - congratulations!

Second - do you need to take the tux? If your fiance owns it, I guess it makes sense but if not wouldn't it be easier to rent one in Maui??

3rd - you should consider fedexing/UPS'ing/DH - whatevering - your dress and even the tux. A garment bag won't hold much; if the flight is crowded where would you put it as carryon; (unless you are in F or C) and in checked baggage there's always a risk...altho LAX-OGG at least there are no stopovers. HP lost my sister-in-laws wedding dress in checked baggage....

4th - you might check with drycleaners in Maui (even beforehand) if the have "wedding dress specials" - where they will steam and press your dress for the big day. i did that for my wedding and it was such a load off my mind!

good luck!
Old May 29, 2003, 8:06 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
No matter what, plan on a prefessional pressing when you get there, or else the tux and gown will look like it was stuffed in a garmet bag.

Old May 29, 2003, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes, we have to take the tux. We bought one for him.

I will try fitting it into the 21" this weekend, so we'll know.

We are definitely in coach (as usual).

Will consider the Fed Ex option -- need to check into it.

Not sure about the dry cleaners pressing it. We arrive Saturday afternoon, things are closed on Sunday, Monday is the wedding -- and (unless it's positively mandatory) I would feel stressed running around trying to get the dress and tux pressed on a last minute basis.

I guess I also need to measure our full size garment bag... I am pretty sure it would be too large for carry on tho...

Thanks
Old May 29, 2003, 11:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Fedex took a week and a day to get a CD from Chicago to New York last week. We were just able to FTP the files over so it wasn't a disaster, but I wouldn't let the dress or tux out of my sight if I were you until after the wedding.

You can have the dress shop or a local cleaners pack it for you if you want, but don't trust Fedex with it.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:01 am

Have you tired calling the airline ahead of time? I always heard if you call in advance and let the airline know you are carrying on your wedding dress they can make special arragements...might be worth a shot.
Congrats!
Old May 30, 2003, 11:41 am

I don't know about the gown (could depend on the material), but the tux will not look ideal when you get to Maui.

To dewrinkle the tux, hang it in the bathroom, turn on the shower with hot water, and close the door. (This creates steam in the room, which will take out some wrinkles.) After 5-10 minutes, open the door and stop the shower. I don't know how well this would work on the gown, but it does work on wool materials.

A more interesting choice would be to send the gown and tux by FedEx, not to yourselves, but to a cleaner near your hotel. Obviously, you'd have to call them and be sure they'd do it (and would accept the package). If you go this route, call the hotel and get the name of a nearby cleaner.
Old May 30, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Congrats!

I would opt for using the department store zippered garment bags, one each for the dress and the tux. For extra protection, and to minimize wrinkles, place the garments in those plastic covers that the dry cleaners use before putting them into the garment bags.

On many flights I have seen the crews go above and beyond to help people stow wedding dresses and tuxes in a safe place.

I would advise against using an overnight service. As reliable as they are, that would be an open invitation for Murphy's Law to occur.
Old May 30, 2003, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help I am going to get out the garment bags this weekend and see how it all fits.

I will call the airine now and ask about my options for stowing the gown/tux onboard.

Can't believe it's almost time to go!
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:39 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I will second the suggestion to FedEx the dress the dress especially flying out of LAX. If you check it, you stand the chance of having some idiot TSA goon damage it. If they open that bag, I can guarantee you won't arrive in Maui with a neatly folded dress and you can expect to be missing any smaller items that might fall out while the apes abuse your belongings. I speak from experience unfortunately.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jun 1, 2003, 2:28 pm

If your dress is satin or silk dress, DO NOT iron it as those fabrics are easily scorched. Check with a dry cleaner who specializes in wedding dresses and see what they suggest. A travel streamer might be the best option. Lay the veil out flat in several dry cleaning bags, fold in the excess on the sides, roll it up and wrap another bag around the headpiece. Enjoy your wedding!

[This message has been edited by flowerchild (edited 06-01-2003).]
Old Jun 1, 2003, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
I will second the suggestion to FedEx the dress the dress especially flying out of LAX. If you check it, you stand the chance of having some idiot TSA goon damage it. If they open that bag, I can guarantee you won't arrive in Maui with a neatly folded dress and you can expect to be missing any smaller items that might fall out while the apes abuse your belongings. I speak from experience unfortunately.

</font>
I would definitely use FEDEX. I have never had a problem with them. In fact, when I sold my home on Maui (furnished), I fedexed all of my personal items, such as linens, dishes, clothing, crystal, accessories, paintings, etc. Everything arrived at my home in Los Angeles exactly as scheduled. Nothing was damaged. I quite agree with Tazi that you run more of a risk of your garments being damaged by a security screener. Best wishes on your forthcoming marriage. I'm sure your wedding on Maui will be beautiful.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 5:51 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I imagine that there is someone on the other end working on details for you? You could fedex it to them with a money order for the pressing that will be needed so it can be done ahead of time.

If not, perhaps the condo owner can put you directly in touch with a dry cleaner who will accept the fedex and have the items pressed and waiting for your arrival.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

I dunno... I feel very nervous about shipping it separately. Partly, I think I would feel safer with in my personal possession. Second, I have no contacts in Maui that I really "know". I barely know the name of the manager at the condo building, and have no rapport with the agency we rented thru. I don't have a 'coordinator', as I have planned everything myself.

I did buy a travel steamer and tested it out the other day -- it didn't really make any difference The gown is satin and I think pressing it with a barely warm iron from underneath, with a pillowcase between the iron and gown might work. I will look into finding a dry cleaners there that can possibly press it last minute for me.

I will pack it to travel in the plastic bag it was shipped to me in -- so if they open it, it will be protected.

Still working on what to pack it in.

Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.