Wiki Posts
Search

How Many Days of Clothes do you bring?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2003, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
My simple rule is to fill my shoulder bag with clothes. That's it. I refuse to travel with more than one bag as it makes things soooooo much easier. The spray and steam methods do work as does just hanging your shirt outside the window if the environment allows.

But if you are traveling to locations that have good shopping (Paris, Milano, Johannesburg, etc.) then you don't need to bring much at all. I haven't found a country yet that won't sell you new clothes.

Another trick I use if I'm hitting both warm and cold countries on the same trip, is it pack clothes that I don't like anymore, then throw them out when I leave that particular temperate region.
Old May 29, 2003, 4:23 pm

Depends if you are flying Naked Air to a nudest event or not.
Old May 29, 2003, 4:30 pm

7 days clothes are plenty if you're going for a long trip. There are always laundromats.

My mom disagrees though. I remember when I went on my first solo trip, she "inspected" my packing and insisted that I take three weeks worth of clothes for one month.

It all depends on why youre travelling though. If you're doing the honeymoon thing, take whatever you want. It's your honeymoon, don't skimp!

------------------
Roger travels to Europe this summer. Follow along! http://www.thisworldtraveler.com
Old May 29, 2003, 4:42 pm

Hmmm, I seem to be in the minority here but I have no problem packing a decent sized suitcase and checking it. Anything longer than 3-4 days and I am definitely checking luggage.

I travel mainly for leisure and as such want to have a suitable choice of clothes for various avtivities and situations. Doing things like "washing my socks in the sink" would never cross my mind. Part of the enjoyment of a trip is not having to worry about things and pondering about whether I can wear my shirt "one more day if I hang it out on the balcony overnight" is just not my idea of enjoying a trip.

In all honesty, I see no great inconvenience in checking luggage,esspecially on longer international trips.Granted,domestic luggage handling here is pretty poor, but when flying overseas (Europe) I seem to get my luggage very quickly with minimal waiting at the baggage claim. Plus the fact that I will take a car to the airport, taxi to the hotel or whereever I am staying it at my destination and the invention of wheeled suitcases really makes the whole experience very easy to manage.

So, why not just pack and wear what you want, check the the bag and enjoy your holiday ? If checking bags,you can also benefit from a nice, light, manageable carry-on that will easily fit into any overhead, not cause any hassle with the check-in staff..etc..
Old May 29, 2003, 6:01 pm

I totally agree with you. I tend to travel by the seat of my pants, so I don't have a lot of space. I have a backpack and I travel that way. YMMV. If I were to rent the car, and not have to worry about hopping train to train, as many clothes as I need

------------------
Roger travels to Europe this summer. Follow along! http://www.thisworldtraveler.com
Old May 29, 2003, 6:24 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
On a business trip, I can pack everything I need for a 7-10 day trip in a normal-sized backpack. I have a pair of black shoes that are very comfortable but also can be worn for business, so I don't need to pack an extra pair of shoes.

My pants don't need to be ironed unless I've worn them more than three times, so by packing two pairs of pants, in addition to the one I wear on the plane, it lasts the whole trip without needing to be ironed. My shirts will smell bad before they need to be ironed, so again, no ironing.

I pack three shirts, for a total of four for the trip. Toss in a pair of underwear, T-shirt, and socks for each day, and toiletries, and that fills up the backpack.

When I go on vacation with the family, we do the same thing -- one backpack for each person (except the three year old; his clothes are small enough to stuff in someone else's backpack). Even with a rental car at the other end, it is just so much easier to deal with one backpack per person rather than two massive suitcases plus carry-ons for the kids to be entertained in flight.

I used to check a suitcase for myself and two suitcases for the family, and after trying the method of one backpack per person, I've found the backpack method to be far preferable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.