Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much aerosol Hair Spray?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

How much aerosol Hair Spray?

Mrs. Bulldog would like to travel with aerosol hairspray in her carry-on bag. The TSA site, regarding flammable aerosols, says "NO", "except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities". Is a normal size can of hairspray a "limited quantity" or does it need to be a trial size? Does anyone care to relate recent first-hand experience on this topic? We don't want a hassle at the airport, but also don't want any bad hair days.
Old May 5, 2003, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A regular can of hairspray is fine. I do it all of the time.
Old May 5, 2003, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I would purchase a travel size just to save on weight. Why carry more than you need?
Old May 5, 2003, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
To be extra safe, don't they also come in the travel size pump style? no aerosol=no worries
Old May 5, 2003, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
I carry the small size because I'm a nut about saving space, but a colleague brings the big can always - not a problem either domestic or international.
Old May 5, 2003, 11:52 pm
sdl

The official word, on the rarely-working replacement link to the one they reference at TSA, is individual aerosol containers not to exceed 16 oz each, and a maximum of 72 oz total.
There is literally NO definition of WHAT exactly is viewed as 'personal toiletries' anywhere however....

[This message has been edited by sdl (edited 05-05-2003).]
Old May 6, 2003, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. Mrs. Bulldog says the pump spray does not perform as well as the aerosol , but she can manage with a trial size aerosol can, so that is what we will go with. Thanks sdl for the specifics -- I was concerned that TSA's and Mrs. B's interpretations of "limited quantity" would be in conflict.
Old May 6, 2003, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Just about anywhere you go on the planet there are stores that sell hair spray. Mrs. Bulldog might even find a brand that she prefers. I try to always take the time to do shopping for cosmetics and other drug store items. My cosmetic case has items from all over the world. I have never been anywhere where I could not purchase the basics. Also many hotels now provide a greater supply of 'toilet' items. You don't have to bring everything along.
Old May 6, 2003, 9:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bulldog:
Thanks to all for the advice. Mrs. Bulldog says the pump spray does not perform as well as the aerosol </font>
Now don't roll your eyes at her; she's absolutely right. Pump sprays go on much heavier and weigh down one's hair. Aerosol spray is much, much lighter and works to preserve the look. I hate those pumps; won't use them. I do travel with a larger can and as everyone has said, it is a space waster but I haven't found my brand in a travel size so I sacrifice space for it.
Old May 6, 2003, 9:55 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
Now don't roll your eyes at her; she's absolutely right.</font>
No offense intended, Analise. I'm sure you and Mrs. B are right about pumps vs. aerosols. As for me, my rapidly thinning middle-aged male hair requires no spray (you can't control what you don't have) so I will now try to back myself out of this discussion without getting my hands further slapped...
Old May 6, 2003, 12:20 pm

Old May 6, 2003, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdl:
The official word, on the rarely-working replacement link to the one they reference at TSA, is individual aerosol containers not to exceed 16 oz each, and a maximum of 72 oz total.
There is literally NO definition of WHAT exactly is viewed as 'personal toiletries' anywhere however....

</font>
For many years, the FAA has allowed aerosol personal toiletries as long as each was no more than 16 oz each, 72 oz maximum (per pax). TSA finally recognized this long-time exemption to the general rule that "aerosols are not allowed."
Old May 8, 2003, 8:46 am

Bulldog, if I were you I would be seriously concerned if my wife were to specify her preference for aerosol over a pump. There are some things that even the most devoted husband cannot provide. :-)

That said, (says Simpleflyer with a sniff, thinking of the Hooters thread) that in this area, my experience has been that the issue of size is moot. The relatively flimsily constructed tops of the cans act as a pressure relief valve (this is sounding worse all the time :- ) ) such that long before the can cylinder were to explode inside the baggage compartment or passenger cabin, the top simply fails gently, with the worst case scenario being that a mess is simply created inside the bag in question.

I think I'll leave now.
Old May 10, 2003, 1:30 am
R&R

KIEHLS hair and skin products comes in the handiest travel size plastic bottles, that take minimal space. They have a pump bottle hair spray!
I discovered this 151 year old company in one of the five hotels in the US, that uses their Protein Shampoo, and Formula 133 Conditioner, which can left in or be used for grooming as room amenities. Hair and Scalp never felt better. No more itchy scalp or flaking. Got rid of all the stuff collected around here, that gave little satisfaction.

You won't find it in many Dept stores, but they have an 800 number with technicians to give you a free consultation or look it up on their website.

They love to give samples of the many different shampoos, conditioners, grooming agents, lotions.

Around here Norstroms, Neiman Marcus and Saks carries it. But they limit it to only ONE store in a shopping mall!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.