Wiki Posts
Search

Dog Poo in the streets of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2003, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Dog Poo in the streets of Paris

When I was in Paris last year, I noticed quite a lot of dog crap in the streets. I was told that it was normal for dog owners not to pick up after their pets and that the crap was picked up by sanitary workers weekly. ...?
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:04 pm

I think Brussells is the worst.For the entire week there last year the sidewalks were no better than an unflushed doggie commode.Perhaps the sanitation workers were on strike?
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
That has got to be one of the worst jobs ever!

I saw the same thing 2 month ago in Paris as well.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:40 pm
Suspended

The French have lots of dogs. They often don't clean up after the dogs. A few weirdos do.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dudrop:
I think Brussels is the worst.</font>
Cambridge MA is right up there. Governor Weld used to joke that the perception of Cantabridgians as unfriendly really relates to the fact that you cannot take your eyes off the sidewalk in Cambridge lest you get an unpleasant doggie surprise.

Beach towns have this problem in spades. Some dog-owners feel that "doing what comes naturally" is OK on the beach. Good reason not to eat local seafood in some of these seaside communities.

During my PVC days, I would spend 15 minutes every morning cleaning my stretch of beach. And I would warn off at least five owners and their unleashed dogs every day.

Why do people feel it's OK to encourage their dog to do its thing on public property or on a neighbor's property (but never the owner's own property)?
Old Apr 3, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
It's actually improved a great deal over the past few years. An ordinance was passed several years ago that allows for fines (imagine!) if one doesn't pick up after one's pet.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:29 am

Here in Buenos Aires-which many call the Paris of the south-it is absolutely ridiculous. It is surely a cultural thing, I know in the states we would never think of it but here, as I suspect in European cities it seems that the residents have been trained to believe it is acceptable and someone else will clean it up- I guess it is acceptable as there is no law against it here.

They love their dogs, most everyone lives in an apartement building, and dogs go outside and use the sidewalk. Later in the day the city street cleaners come by and clean the streets. The worst is Sunday afternoon as the street cleaners don't work on the weekends it really stinks by then.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:38 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
When I was in Paris last year, I noticed quite a lot of dog crap in the streets. I was told that it was normal for dog owners not to pick up after their pets and that the crap was picked up by sanitary workers weekly. ...? </font>
Chalk it up to a cultural difference

There used to be men in a little green suit that had a little cart that vacuumed up the crap.

So, technically, you are allowed to let your dog do his business on the curb. However, some people let their dogs do it on the sidewalk.

Don't get me wrong, this is a touchy subject here. Non-dog owners hate dog owners for that reason

Personally, I always take my dog to a little doggy sandbox or use the curb. Never the sidewalk.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 5:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ginger K:
It's actually improved a great deal over the past few years. An ordinance was passed several years ago that allows for fines (imagine!) if one doesn't pick up after one's pet. </font>
11 or 22 euros, I believe. Never heard of anyone receiving a ticket though.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dctorres:
11 or 22 euros, I believe. Never heard of anyone receiving a ticket though.</font>
Acutally, it was raised to 600FF (€90). But can you imagine any cop demeaning himself by writing a ticket for it?
Old Apr 4, 2003, 6:37 am
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Louie_LI:
Acutally, it was raised to 600FF (€90). But can you imagine any cop demeaning himself by writing a ticket for it?</font>
No kidding?

I was in Cabourg last weekend and there were posters saying €11 if you don't curb your dog.

Fortunately, they're still in the dark
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:03 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Amsterdam has more than it's fair share of dog poop.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't forget that Paris also "floods" it's streets quite a bit to keep them clean.

It's actually quite normal in Europe to let your dog "release itself" on the street.

You call it "...", I call it cultural differences.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 8:35 am
In Memoriam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Don't forget that Paris also "floods" it's streets quite a bit to keep them clean.

It's actually quite normal in Europe to let your dog "release itself" on the street.

You call it "...", I call it cultural differences.
</font>
Street, yes, but not the sidewalk.

It's a bad habit that people here hate (at least those w/o dogs)
Old Apr 4, 2003, 8:57 am

Agree on teh cultural differences. Sounds like another example of the French making a mess and expecting someone else to clean it up. Yet another reason not to visit France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.