Dog Poo in the streets of Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog Poo in the streets of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2003, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LemonThrower:
Agree on teh cultural differences. Sounds like another example of the French making a mess and expecting someone else to clean it up. Yet another reason not to visit France.</font>
Ah, a well-reasoned argument! By all means, stay home - and don't come visit until the U.S. has taken another look at the Kyoto Protocol!

Seriously, dog poop is a problem in Paris, but it's getting better. People ARE picking up after their dogs, slowly but surely. The city has installed green trash bags on nearly every corner and people are using them - and not just for the dog poop. The first time I visited France I was amazed at how people littered: they would unwrap something and just drop the wrapper on the ground and keep walking. Dogs were simply an extension of that attitude, in my opinion.

But it's getting better - I notice more and more people making comments about other people littering or letting their dogs mess up the sidewalks, and I have seen TWO dog owners in my neighborhood ticketed for not cleaning up after Fifi (not a pretty sight for those of you who think the French are cowards! ).

I've owned a dog for six and one-half years and, being a good American, I have always cleaned up his mess. At first, many people looked at me rather strangely, some gasped, some applauded, but now I notice many more dog owners out on their walks with paper towels and plastic bags.

I remember growing up in the U.S. and the "Keep America Beautiful" campaigns ... things are not always the same here, so yes, I guess we can chalk that up to "cultural differences" - thank goodness they exist, for better or for worse.

For the nitty-gritty on the crottes de chiens:

http://www.paris.fr/fr/environnement...ete/chiens.htm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">La pollution canine représente une des sources majeures de mécontentement des piétons parisiens. A Paris, 200 000 chiens environ produisent 10 tonnes de déjections par jour. 2 400 km de caniveaux, lavés quotidiennement, sont à leur disposition. Malgré cela, 70 caninettes sont nécessaires pour ramasser chaque jour jusqu’à 4 tonnes d’excréments sur les trottoirs. La municipalité souhaite responsabiliser les propriétaires de chiens et les amener au ramassage systématique des déjections de leurs animaux familiers. Afin d’aider les propriétaires à acquérir le réflexe de se munir de sacs avant d’aller promener leur chien, la Mairie de Paris installe à titre expérimental dans plusieurs sites, des distributeurs aussi bien sur la voie publique et dans les parcs et les jardins où les chiens sont autorisés.</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Un rappel

L’article 99-6 du règlement sanitaire du
département de Paris prévoit diverses mesures
de protection contre les pollutions canines.

Il souligne par ailleurs que leurs besoins
naturels ne peuvent être accomplis que
dans le caniveau et les déjections doivent
être ramassées.

Toute personne refusant de ramasser
les excréments de son chien peut se voir
dresser un procès verbal par les inspecteurs
de la propreté.

Le non-respect de l’article 99-6 est passible
d’une contravention de 3ème classe,
dont le montant fixé par le tribunal
de police peut aller jusqu’à 450 euros.</font>
http://www.paris.fr/fr/Environnement/proprete/Chien.pdf
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">There used to be men in a little green suit that had a little cart that vacuumed up the crap.</font>
I forget how the hapless riders of the vaccuum cleaner equipped motorcycles were called, but that service (subcontracted to a private company) was abolished by the current mayor as not cost-effective.

Fond memory: a former and unliked colleague's first step in Paris was from a taxicab onto a piece of poop
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
being a good American, I have always cleaned up his mess</font>
We expect no less from you, Blair

It certainly feels more natural for the dog than being forced to directly 'use' the plastic bag, as I have seen a number of Japanese city dogs do.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
canine pollution.....

reason 341 why I love the French language
Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
The thread exposes the exact reason I carry my rollerboard between the office and hotel whenever I'm working in Paris. The first time I was 'suprised by a notty dog' (well, actually it was my rollerboard that caught the suprise) taught me a lesson I shall not soon forget.

GMF
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:03 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Forget the fine - dog owners who fail to clean up after their friend should have their friend's mess returned to them - air mail.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Forget the fine - dog owners who fail to clean up after their friend should have their friend's mess returned to them - air mail. </font>
Don't laugh! I live a block away from a Michelin two-star restaurant called the Louis XIII. The owner/chef (formerly the chef at La Tour d'Argent) is well-known in the neighborhood for his bad temper. One morning I was out early walking my dog when I heard loud screaming: one screamer was the chef, who had just thrown some recently deposited dog poo into the face of the second screamer, a hysterical woman whose dog was the culprit. Le plat du jour was not to Madam's satisfaction ...

I kid you not.

Vive la différence!
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
When I used to live in Geneva I did lots of my grocery shopping in France. The border was clearly marked - by dog poo!

------------------
http://www.benjaminwagner.com
Great music!
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I wonder if that 10 tonnes daily figure is just recycled or do the authorities measure it?
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LemonThrower:
Agree on teh cultural differences. Sounds like another example of the French making a mess and expecting someone else to clean it up. Yet another reason not to visit France.</font>
And knowing the French with an attitude like yours they won't be missing you either
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
I wonder if that 10 tonnes daily figure is just recycled or do the authorities measure it?</font>
The figure certainly doesn't seem to be inflated, as it were.

10 tonnes from 200k doggies (and sorry in advance for the US-based weights) is an output of merely 1.7 ounces per dog per day. That's ok, I suppose, for those little creatures that the old ladies carry around in their shopping bags, but no way José for the ones (all too often living in the smallest places on the Ile St-Louis) who look more like Shetland ponies.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's not just Paris. Since Michael Bloomberg became the new mayor, there has been less emphasis on quality of life issues like picking up after your dog and thus the police no longer fine those caught leaving without cleaning. So it's just gotten quite disgusting but at least restaurants are now smoke-free.

I miss Rudy.
Old Apr 4, 2003, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
HB used to be only one of three beaches in CA to allow a leash-free beach (SD and SF are the other two - there may be more now?)

Anyway, years ago, somebody tried to use the poop on the beach as a political platform (dog owners as evil and needing to be double taxed or ticketed or something) until two days later when the City immediately installed dog bag stands. That was all it took to clean up 90% of the poop and prove that the dog owners weren't evil after all. For the other 10%, self-installed volunteers - and I'm not kidding here - still perch themselves up on a cliff, acting as spotters.

Basically, the unwritten rule goes if your dog poops below the waterline, like so it gets washed away with the next wave, you don't have to pick it up, but if you leave it anywhere else, like you're too good to pick it up, forget the spotters, others will come over and firmly say, "if you need a bag, I have an extra."

Obviously, the key is to train your dog to poop in the waterline. This is not only very nice, but it brings impressive ravs and comments from other dog owners who wish they could be like you.

[This message has been edited by lisamcgu (edited 04-04-2003).]
Old Apr 4, 2003, 7:59 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Louie_LI:
Acutally, it was raised to 600FF (€90). But can you imagine any cop demeaning himself by writing a ticket for it?</font>
How is the action demeaning?
Old Apr 4, 2003, 8:08 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Quit calling it dog poo. They're Iraqi breath mints.

------------------
arturo rocks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.