Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last minute travel desks at European airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Last minute travel desks at European airports

As an avid traveler to Europe I've noticed practically every airline at the major European airports has a desk for last-minute travelers. (In Germany they're called "Last-Minute-Reisen.") What, exactly, is the purpose of these desks? Can one head on out to the airport and shop around for good deals on an impromptu holiday, like one used to be able to do with the standby system in the USA? Or are these merely glorified ticket counters, meaning any actual last-minute trips are likely to be spectacularly costly?

[This message has been edited by Factotum (edited 03-31-2003).]
Old Apr 1, 2003, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Generally, these are charter flights/operators who need to sell off unsold inventory. Since charter flights are less popular in N. America, you don't see so much. What else there is is generally sold through other channels.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 9:55 am

The prices offered are often very low because they get rid of excess inventory. At some airports you can buy tickets only - and the price of a package will often be lower than a last minute r/t ticket on a regular carrier. I know amsterdam has one - I think you can check offerings on schiphol.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.