Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best way to call overseas from Australia (7 day stay)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:01 am
Original Poster

I need to call Hong Kong periodically during my vacation in Australia next week (7 days) and I am thinking of two options:

1) Get a prepaid SIM card for my GSM world cell phone locally that can be used to make international calls.

2) Get a local calling card to be used on pay phones.

Which is the more economical and convenient way? Thanks!

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:34 am

I would use a calling card.
You can get them everywhere and the rates are pretty cheap.
You should compare prices for the different cards though, but most vendors have a list where you can compare the prices for the country you want to call.
I think the smalles denomination I ever saw was 2.50 A$ and it goes up to about 50 A$.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Vodaphone had a pay as you go SIM card that I used when I was making visits there. I think you had to buy a $30 or $50 card. To get "free" call credit you had to register the phone. Having the SIM is good for recieving calls, however you are probably better off buying calling cards for making calls.

Will you be staying in one city or moving about as some cards only give one city's access code. They normally seem to be a local city nubmer than freephone number.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:35 am
Original Poster

I'm going to be in Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney.

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:38 pm

Programs: Ex UA PremEx
Yep..I agree get yourself a phone card. They are available all over the place. The Gossip Card is a good one as is EZ Phone. You can get them with rates as low as 5 cents a min (au). And you can use some of them from any phone..it doesn't have to be a pay phone.

I often use them to call my husband in the USA as their rates are cheaper than any phone company has to offer.

Phoebe

[This message has been edited by Feebster (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:18 pm

Highflyah, I bought a card while there in Dec. for $20.00 and it still has a lot of time left (around 400 min. I think) email me an address and I'll send it out a.m. it may take 5/6 days to get it to Ill. from Ca. but you're welcome to it. Roadshow
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used the Telstra Phone Away card. It was cheaper than using my Sprint card. They come in denominations such as $20Aus and $50Aus.

I envy you! Can I be your bag holder???
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd had very good experiences with a pre-paid SIM for my GSM (900/1800) phone. I purchased a pre-paid SIM from (yes,)Optus for 29.95 AUD, and it came with 30 AUD of talk-time. Calls to the US were 0.29 AUD per minute, calls to HKG are 0.43 AUD per minute, local calls (outbound and incoming, from anywhere) are even less expensive. Optus has shops and dealers everywhere.

http://www.optus.com.au/Vign/ViewMgm...ew_215,00.html
Old Mar 14, 2003, 10:06 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Whilst in OZ this past fall I need to call HKG as well...I picked up a very reasonable phone card at a local convienience store that nearly got me 7 cents per minute. I thought that was pretty good.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Looks like both methods sound great - though calling cards sound cheap... thanks for all your replies!

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.