Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Overnighting in FRA - recommendation (request from shuly)

Old Mar 5, 2003, 1:26 am
Patron

I consider spending a night in FRA instead of leaving BUD at 06:30 next month. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel, with good connection to the airport (shuttle/train/s-bahn), not too expensive? As I will arrive around 21:00 and leave at 10:00, the location doesn't really matter, I guess - a landhotel in a small town is perfectly fine. Thanks a lot,
Shuly

Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:08 am

I would strongly suggest the airport Hilton.

No shuttles needed.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:36 am

Try the Steigenberger EXPRIX located in the South cargo area of the Airport at the entrance to Rhein-Main Air Force Base..It has a shuttle, is less than half the price of the Sheraton at the airport, has a huge
breakfast buffet, and use to be a US Air Force officers club and hotel.. Probably 88 to 125 euro..can be booked online and usually has internet prices..I will be staying next month for third visit.

I believe the hotel AT the airport is a Sheraton not a Hilton

[This message has been edited by billhar (edited 03-07-2003).]
Old Mar 7, 2003, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I would echo billhar. I stayed at the Exprix one year ago, and while it's not the "lap of luxury" it is a very comfortable, utilitarian hotel. Get a room, sleep, get up, eat breakfast, leave... that seems to be the pattern of nearly all the guests there. The shuttle bus is a quick hop and skip from the airport.

See my post from way back then:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/010543.html
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:04 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAaLot:
I would strongly suggest the airport Hilton.

No shuttles needed.
</font>
???
I think you mean the Sheraton.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:08 pm

The Esprix is a good choice around the airport. A bit cheaper and a bit farer away is Express By Holiday Inn Frankfurt-Airport.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I strongly recommend the Courtyard Marriott. It's about a 5-10minute ride from the airport. I was in the same situation last year as you; arrived mid-evening & had to be at the airport the next morning. I got a great rate (65, 75 euro that included tax - something like that) on the Marriott website. Shuttle to/from the airport was free, included full buffet breakfast and newspaper, and if you're part of the Marriott program you get points. If I'm ever in this situation again, that's my default hotel there.

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 03-07-2003).]
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:25 pm

Why stay in a sterile airport hotel when you can stay in a nice, little hotel in a real town, say Mainz (the capital of the neighboring state)? By S-Bahn (rapid commuter train) it's only 26 minutes (no transfer) from the airport to Mainz main station. And Mainz has lots of nice restaurants serving real food, rather than hotel restaurant food. The same S-Bahn continues on to Wiesbaden (capital of the state that Frankfurt is in), only ten minutes further and a bit more elegant than Mainz. The internet has lots of hotels in these places. The trains run every 15 minutes or so.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Hyatt in Mainz has very nice rooms on the Rhine and is 30 minutes from FRA (25 minute by train to Sud-Mainz station and 5 minute walk to the hotel). Maybe not worth it for the short duration of your stay, but I would still go there (even at midnight).
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SkiAdcock:
I strongly recommend the Courtyard Marriott. It's about a 5-10minute ride from the airport. I was in the same situation last year as you; arrived mid-evening & had to be at the airport the next morning. I got a great rate (65, 75 euro that included tax - something like that) on the Marriott website. Shuttle to/from the airport was free, included full buffet breakfast and newspaper, and if you're part of the Marriott program you get points. If I'm ever in this situation again, that's my default hotel there.</font>
I stayed there regularly, too, and can confirm SkiAdcock's comments. Some pictures & a short report about this property (official name is misleading "Courtyard Frankfurt Messe")
Picture report on stays in AMS, FKB, FRA, HDB, MUC, VIE
Old Mar 9, 2003, 2:05 am

Mainz is a great place to stay and I'd recommend Hotel Quartier 65, cute & right on the water. www.quartier65.de
Old Mar 9, 2003, 3:15 pm

I would also recommend the Hyatt Mainz, great location on the river and if you have some time at the start/finish of your day you can take a walk - shop - go to the market. I stumbled on Mainz and I would have never visited except that I needed to stay somewhere close to FRA and I think it is a great little city and a great alternative to actually staying at the airport.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Track:
Why stay in a sterile airport hotel when you can stay in a nice, little hotel in a real town, say Mainz (the capital of the neighboring state)? By S-Bahn (rapid commuter train) it's only 26 minutes (no transfer) from the airport to Mainz main station. </font>
This is great information! I love FT. Can you pick up the S-Bahn directly from the FRA airport? Any idea what the approximate r/t cost is to/from Mainz?

Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:16 pm
rkm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM
The S-Bahn station is just a pedestrian overpass across from the terminal building; perhaps a five-minute walk from terminal B at FRA. There are actually two train stations at the airport, one for short-distance trains (S-bahn) and one for longer runs (ICE, etc.). The S-bahn station is the closer of the two and encompasses tracks 1-4.

I'd guesstimate RT fare from FRA to Mainz to be in the 10 Euro range, but I'll defer to someone else who's actually done the trip.

FYI the S-bahn does have a first class section, but don't bother. I mean, really, don't.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:07 am

The S8 or S9 as well as some regional trains should be going to Mainz. Later at night probably every 30 minutes.
Round-trip is approximately 7 Euro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.