Reload this Page >

WHY should anyone have 2 passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHY should anyone have 2 passports?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2003, 6:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Iran allows you to keep a Iranian passport after you have taken an oath of allegiance to another country.

While I have not tried this myself, I know of lots of Iranian-Americans who have travelled to a gateway country (say England, France, Germany or Switzerland) on their US passports and flown to Iran on their Iranian passports. In fact, the U.S. State Department Fact sheet on travel to Iran says that this is okay, it beats the Islamic Republic of Iran from taking that US passport away and leaving you SOL at airport immigration.

Iran also gives Iranian passports to US born Iranians that can prove their Iranian parentage, so there are lots of American born Iranians with dual passports. I guess it makes it easier to visit Cuba.

lala
Old Feb 25, 2003, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Back in the cold war days.... A person that I did business with had 3 passports... All Dutch. All the same name.

1 for Arab and Communist countries... 1 for the rest of the free world and a Dutch Diplomatic Passport in case he got into trouble!
Old Feb 26, 2003, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
As for the former citizen tax thing, you all can thank the Getty family, Fred Alger, Marc Rich and a few dozen others for that.
</font>
I think Marc Rich's case was more than just income tax.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes and no. The last thing they had against him was a claim for something like $150 mil in owed taxes. He agreed to pay them, and may have already done so. His big boo boo was that even though he had renounced US citizenship, he had claimed to be a US citizen under oath in some court proceeding at some point afterwards.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:48 am

A PERSON BORN IN THE USA IS AUTOMATICALLY A CITIZEN OF THE USA..THE SAME AS SOMEONE BORN IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY CAN CLAIM CITIZENSHIP IN THAT COUNTRY..WHILE IN THE SERVICE STATIONED IN GERMANY MY SON WAS BORN ON THE US AIR BASE IN A US HOSPITAL.
HE IS A GERMAN CITIZEN SINCE HE WAS BORN IN THAT COUNTRY. HIS BIRTH NEEDED TO BE REGISTERED BY THE US CONSUL AS A "REPORT OF FOREIGN BIRTH" AND DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED SINCE HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE WAS A GERMAN CERTIFICATE. GERMANY WILL RECOGNIZE HIM AS A CITIZEN AND THE USA RECOGNIZES HIM AS A US CITIZEN.
TO DO BUSINESS AND WORK IN THE EUROPEAN UNION IT IS EASIER IF YOU HAVE A PASSPORT FROM AN EU COUNTRY AND MANY COUNTRIES WILL GRANT CITIZENSHIP BASED ON YOUR PARENTS OR GRAND PARENTS, IF THEY WERE BORN IN THAT COUNTRY. IN THE 70s MANY US CITIZENS GOT OTHER COUNTRIES PASSPORTS BECAUSE OF THE HIJACKINGS.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:50 am

No need to shout Billhar, we hear you
Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by billhar:
WHILE IN THE SERVICE STATIONED IN GERMANY MY SON WAS BORN ON THE US AIR BASE IN A US HOSPITAL.
HE IS A GERMAN CITIZEN SINCE HE WAS BORN IN THAT COUNTRY.
</font>
Germany does not automatically provide citizenship to children born on its territory, as several conditions must be met in order for this to happen.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Children who are born in Germany to foreign nationals will receive German citizenship when one of the respective child's parents has resided lawfully in Germany for at least eight years and holds entitlement to residence or has had an unlimited residence permit for at least three years.</font>
http://www.german-embassy.org.uk/ref...itizenshi.html

PS: CAPS LOCK OFF makes posts easier to read.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:18 pm

The text from the German embassy points out that the more liberal nationality regulations have been in effect only since 2000. Before that it was extremely difficult for anyone to establish German citizenship who was not of German heritage. Even the Turks born in Germany of Turkish parents born in Germany could not become German citizens before 2000, and today the long residence requirements (8 years, is it?) don't make it easy. A child born to an American soldier and a German mother should have a pretty easy time of it, but not one born of two American parents. The fact that a German office issues some sort of birth document doesn't make the child German. I know Americans who were born in the U.S. of parents who were German citizens at the time of their birth who had to get all sorts of documents from Germany, the parents' birth certificate and naturalization papers, etc., etc., to establish their German "heritage" before getting a document recognizing their German nationality and right to a German passport. Germany is one of the countries that as a rule establish nationality based on "blood" rather than place of birth.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I have dual citizenship - NZ and UK. Both passports are in the same name. I have full right of residence in both countries and intend to keep it that way.

I use the NZ passport in most of the world - it's nicely neutral - and the UK passport in the UK and Europe. In some instances, it is easier to use one passport over another. For example, people with a UK passport need a visa for Turkey, while people with a NZ passport do not.

We have a friend who has 4 passports - UK (birth), Ireland (ancestry), South Africa (residency qualification), and New Zealand (residency qualification).
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
My nephew , born in Germany with a German citizen Mother and a USA citizen Father--carries dual citizenship and has 2 passports.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by billhar
A PERSON BORN IN THE USA IS AUTOMATICALLY A CITIZEN OF THE USA..THE SAME AS SOMEONE BORN IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY CAN CLAIM CITIZENSHIP IN THAT COUNTRY..
Not always. American friends had a child in Saudi Arabia and the child will never be Saudi... and can't have a Saudi passport. It is interesting because this American is now over 18 and has never lived in the US... thus has no state of residency... thus is not allowed to vote in any US elections... but pays US taxes.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
More to the point, why should anybody suddenly bump a 7 year old thread?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
HE IS A GERMAN CITIZEN SINCE HE WAS BORN IN THAT COUNTRY. HIS BIRTH NEEDED TO BE REGISTERED BY THE US CONSUL AS A "REPORT OF FOREIGN BIRTH" AND DOCUMENTATION PROVIDED SINCE HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE WAS A GERMAN CERTIFICATE.
Sorry but this can't be right. Germany does not hand out citizenship by being born in Germany. You can only be a German citizen if you mother or father is a German citizen or in certain cases your grandparents were. It doesn't matter where you were born. For children of foreigners living in Gemany there is a so called "option model". If a child is born to non German citizens which lived for at least 8 years in Germany and if the child also lived continuously in Germany the child is granted the German citizenship and between the age of 18 and 23 the young person has to decide if he/she wants to keep the German citizenship and give up the parents citizenship or keeping the parents citizenship giving up the German citizenship. The law doesn't allow dual citizenship in this case.

Dual citizenship in Germany is hard to get. Mostly only possible if you have German parents but were born in a country that grants its citizenship by the place you were born (for example the United States). Only other possibility is to apply for keeping the German citizenship when you think of taken a second citizenship. For example you apply for the US citizenship but want to keep your German citizenship you have to apply at the German embassy beforehand to keep your German citizenship.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:57 am

Programs: ANA SFC, Priority Club
THE SAME AS SOMEONE BORN IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY CAN CLAIM CITIZENSHIP IN THAT COUNTRY.
Sorry, this is just plain wrong. I'm a US citizen married to a Japanese citizen and living in Switzerland. Both of our children were born in Switzerland, and at the time of birth had no nationality (the Swiss birth certificate clearly indicates "Nationality: unknown").

My children can apply for Swiss citizenship in the future (and the process will be facilitated by the fact that they grew up in the country), but they have NO right to citizenship simply because they were born in the country.

Interestingly, my children were not automatically granted US citizenship, either; because only one parent is a US citizen, I had to prove I lived in the US for a number of years in order to pass on citizenship to my children.

Likewise, since we wanted our children to have both US and Japanese citizenship, we had to register the birth with the Japanese consulate and fill out a form indicating that we wanted our child to retain Japanese citizenship despite also having US citizenship (under the current laws, the kids will have to choose one at age 20 or 21, although it appears that many people get away without doing so).

To bring this back to the original question (now several years old), I don't think my children should have to choose one parent's nationality over the other, and both the US and Japan require that citizens enter/exit the respective country on a passport issued by that country; if disallowed to have two passports, my children will have to break the law every time they enter one of the two countries.

-Kush
Old Dec 19, 2009, 8:58 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Not always. American friends had a child in Saudi Arabia and the child will never be Saudi... and can't have a Saudi passport. It is interesting because this American is now over 18 and has never lived in the US... thus has no state of residency... thus is not allowed to vote in any US elections... but pays US taxes.
I am an American citizen and worked in Saudi for several years (not connected with the US military).

A person can become a Saudi citizen if they meet the requirements. I know people who were not born in Saudi that did qualify for citizenship after meeting certain requirements (one of which was being Muslim).

Also the person would only pay US taxes on monies earned over a certain amount. So I doubt that the person is paying any US taxes on any earnings unless they are living in a country that has some type of tax reciprocity agreement. I will almost guarantee that if they are working in Saudi that they are not paying US taxes. They may file an annual tax return to the IRS but I doubt they have any tax liability to the US unless they are voluntarily paying into Social Security/Medicare.

The person can vote in presidential elections by registering at the embassy or consulate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.