Wiki Posts
Search

Areas/Hotels to stay in BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2003, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K
Areas/Hotels to stay in BKK

Planning on spending 3 weeks in Thailand on my way to Australia for a year. 1 week will be spent in Bangkok. Anyone have suggestions on the best area(s) to stay in. Or even better, some suggested hotels - (moderatly priced please)
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:57 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
What is your moderate price?
In Bangkok, 5 stars from $100 to $200 except Oriental($250-300), 4 stars from $50 to $100, 3 stars from $25 to $60.

Do you like in the city(shopping & night life) or along the river(relax, but still easy for shopping&night life).

Then, many people can give you a good suggestion.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:44 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
If you take a look at http://pub143.ezboard.com/bpricelineasiadiscussions you can get an indication of the sort of price you can get accomodation for through Priceline - and at SG$105 a night for the J.W. Marriott I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bargain (if they've got the dates you require that is).

Otherwise http://www.hotelpricechecker.com/ has a nice comparison feature on pricing for various hotels in Bangkok, sourcing info from many of the major booking sites.

For me I'm a fan of the Siam Square area as a place to stay, reasonable selection of things to do, not too sleazy if you're strolling around at night and central to the Skytrain as well if you need to travel around. I'm sure everyone has their personal preferences on the areas they stay depending on their interests, and you can be sure Bangkok caters to pretty much every interest!
Old Jan 5, 2003, 6:49 am
In Memoriam

Chris, try www.asiatravel.com this site will show Thailand hotels for all major cities. My suggestions for BKK are one of the President hotels in Sukhumvit area. Pres. park, Royal pres. and my last stay @ Grand pres.. Try one of their packages(includes transfers and breakfast) as I believe the price is reasonable. Good luck, have a nice trip.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 11:41 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
I have a 3 night Priceline stay at the Novotel Lotus on Sukhamvit Road at $40 per night + $5.95 booking fee + tax & service. Comes to about $47 per night. This is a little less than the price available from Novotel's web site. (I believe, if memory serves correctly approximate $15 U.S.) Stay dates 1/15-1/18/03.

There is a trip report on this hotel that was posted by someone approx. 1 month ago.
Old Jan 5, 2003, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
In Bangkok there are many good plcas to stay.
Some people prefer to stay on the river, others like to be more in town. On the river
Places like Royal Orchid Sheraton, Oriental and Peninsula are good to stay at . If you enjoy a little peace and quiet the Marriott resort and spa if wonderfull. Looking for action you should stay on Sukhumvit rd. The Marriott is a great hotel.
We just came back from Bangkok Dec.26 stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel this time in the infamous Pat Pong area, great hotel, reasonable rates, close to the Skyrail.
Hope you enjoy your stay in Bangkok
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
The Royal Orchid Sheraton on the river rated very high in the last Conde Nast survey. Just a short tuk-tuk ride to Pat Phong, or a brief boat ride downriver (maybe 15 cents fare?) to the skytrain terminal, or upriver to the temples. We were there in October for ~$100 a night, was upgraded to the SPG (25th) floor even though I had just joined SPG for this trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.