Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Question about London Heathrow

Old Nov 2, 02, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I've got a 7 hour layover at LHR and would like to go into the city for a few of those hours, preferably without my carry-on rollaway luggage. Does anyone know if LHR has luggage storage facilities? I'm not sure if they've done away with them for security reasons after 9/11. Also, if the airport does not have a storage facility, what about the train station(s)? If not there either, any suggestions? I absolutely MUST take a carryon piece of luggage on the plane, so not taking it is not an option. However, I do not want to be lugging it all over London during my layover. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old Nov 2, 02, 3:44 pm

From the Heathrow website;

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Left luggage
Each terminal has a left luggage facility for storing baggage for a number of hours or days. Items are security checked. Left luggage offices also offer competitive unaccompanied baggage rates and services and sell luggage and travel accessories. Charges are 4 per item per day (or part thereof). The service is operated by the Excess Baggage Company, who can be contacted on +44 (0)20 8745 4599. Opening times are as under.

Terminal 1 (0600 to 2300)
Terminal 2 (0600 to 2230)
Terminal 3 (0530 to 2230)
Terminal 4 (0530 to 2300)
</font>
Old Nov 2, 02, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, much appreciated.
Old Nov 4, 02, 11:09 am

I hope you have a great time. If you only have a few hours the only way to get into town is with the Heathrow Express - tickets are cheaper with advance purchase but I'm not sure if there's enough time for you to get tickets sent to you now. Anyway, good luck and enjoy London.
Old Nov 4, 02, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000070.html
Old Nov 5, 02, 11:14 am

HHonorman

As well as the Heathrow Express which takes you into Paddington Rail Station you could use the Tube. Cheaper and maybe a little longer but it'll take you straight into places like Covent Garden. You also won't have to mess around getting the Tube or Taxi onwards from Paddington. There's also a Bus service but knowing Traffic in London I'd stick wtih the tube or express.

Nigel

Old Nov 5, 02, 3:36 pm

The tube is unreliable, uncomfortable and very slow. It is cheap but to be honest I don't think it's worth it from Heathrow to Central London. Anyone with a short layover in London would be well advised to avoid it.
Old Nov 5, 02, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SarahWest:
The tube is unreliable, uncomfortable and very slow. It is cheap but to be honest I don't think it's worth it from Heathrow to Central London. Anyone with a short layover in London would be well advised to avoid it.</font>
Overall, I would agree with SarahWest. Given that you have 7 hours only, a tube ride is almost 1 hr each way giving you a round trip of 2 hours out of 7. The taxi from Paddington to get to Picadilly / Covent Garden is probably about 11gbp (i took it from a bit farther and it was 13gbp). I did the taxi ride into Paddington during morning rush hour and it was about 15 minutes (from Russell Sq.) From Paddington you can take the tube to Picadilly and it is 5 or 6 stops one the same line. (i did the trip but forgot the time and I think it was the brown line but you will see it on the map) From Pic you can walk along to Leicester Sq and on to Covent Garden. I'd taxi back to Paddington since you might not be on a direct line to Paddington and then Heathrow Express back to LHR.

That all being said the tube option all the way in isn't too bad. You'll spend an hour on the tube looking out at a lot of suburban London and light industrial areas. The Picadilly line is the one that you take from LHR and funnily enough it has a stop at Picadilly Circus (and Leicester and Covent). You can then get off at Picadilly and do your thing and then possibly get back on the Picadilly line back to LHR (depending on where you walk you may have to transfer lines).

Personally it would make me feel a bit dicey to have to spend the time on the tube from LHR. (done it lots but if I were in your siut I would go with Heathrow Express)

But money makes the world go 'round...

Option 1 - (estimated prices from memory)
25gbp - Heathrow Express rtn trip
1.6gbp - One tube trip from Pad-Pic
15gbp - taxi (act. the famous Black Cabs)

total 31.6gbp (or pretty close) gives you a fast trip on the Express, a tube ride (a treat if you haven't been but always fun and the stops from Paddington to Picadilly seem to be some of the older stations), and a black cab ride (which is also a London classic).

Option 2-
5gbp - London Underground Off-hours TravelPass (I think it is good both ways but the 5gbp is good after 930am) I am not sure how much the 'rush-hour' version is, if available but I can't see it being that much.

You get to see a lot of the surround environs of London and probably lose 1 hr of time.

Cheers and have a pint for all the FT'ers.

ps. if you go Heathrow Express don't pay for the 'First Class' comparment as it isn't really worth it for a 15 minute ride. oh and if you don't get your ticket before the train pulls away I think there is a 2gbp premium for getting the ticket onboard.

Old May 7, 09, 12:49 pm

Check out layoverguide.com -- they have a good post on London layovers -- http://www.layoverguide.com/2008/12/london-layover.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: