Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Decent Rate at Close-In Heathrow Hotel?

Old Jun 18, 2002, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

We're trying to get a low rate (USD 60-75 or nearby) at a Heathrow hotel that's close and served by courtesy shuttle service. One of the Priceline hotels is miles away in Feltham, and doesn't have more than a skeleton shuttle, preventing us from using Priceline. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 18, 2002, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 1)courtesy shuttles for most, if not all, LHR area hotels are non existent. I think the BAA essentially forced hotel guests to use the Heathrow Hoppa which is not free and in fact is rather expensive.

2) Hotel rates are rather expensive in Britain (essentially what you'd to pay in USD, you can expect to pay the same in GBP). I've recently had bids rejected for June midweek stays for USD 65 & 40 for 4* and 3* respectively at Priceline. I suspect that Feltham hotel only offers a shuttle as it's outside the Heathrow Hoppa's service area.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
For "courtesy shuttle" read the Heathrow Hoppa, which I realize is not free, however it does provide a service at similar service intervals to a courtesy shuttle.

So my question remains: is there a website other than Priceline that could assist in finding the best possible hotel deal close to Heathrow? Thursday night, mid-July.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You could try lastminute.com and laterooms.com

BTW, I've heard complains that the Heathrow Hoppa is unreliable and can get full especially in the morning so those at the end of the run before the busses get to the airport don't have a chance.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
There is an Ibis hotel very near the airport. We thought it was very nice, has a bar/restaurant, and is/was in your price range. We found it to be the best value for the buck of all 15 or so places we stayed in England.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The Travelodge (AFAIK not related to the US chain of the same name) a bit north of the main A4 hotel strip along, if I recall, Sipson Road, is among the least expensive in the area. Not fancy, some might say minimal, but clean. It's on one of the Hotel Hoppa routes.

BTW, you don't have to ride the Hoppa. You can take a city bus in and out of the airport for free. The obvious downside is that you then have to walk between the bus stop and your hotel. That could be anywhere from right next to it to impractically far away.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks, these are some useful suggestions. We'll probably go with the Travelodge, though it's $104 per night on a weekday, unless Priceline comes through with a lower rate for a 4-Star.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 4:20 pm

[This message has been edited by dogcanyon (edited 06-19-2002).]
Old Jun 19, 2002, 4:51 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Explore,

I've consistantly won the bid for LHR at the Renaissance for around $50 a night. It's a 3*, but it's really nice and you can take the Hoppa.

Flip
Old Jun 19, 2002, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Explore,

I've consistantly won the bid for LHR at the Renaissance for around $50 a night. It's a 3*, but it's really nice and you can take the Hoppa.

Flip
</font>
And you can get the city bus to the airport at the sidewalk right at the hotel. (Granted, the hotel entrance is on the other side of the building, so you have to walk part way round, but that's not too far.)

I don't recommend the city bus for going to the hotel, since it stops on the wrong side of the A4 in that direction. It's a very busy four-lane road with a fence along most of the center, and (as best I recall) no pedestrian crossings in the immediate vicinity.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:29 pm

For something different, do a search on-line for Britain's Bed & Breakfast and Stay on a Farm programs. Both are overseen by the government, and locations have to meet certain standards.

I stayed on a Farm that was maybe 15-20 minutes from Gatwick, but had a rental car. Upon leaving, they said they offered shuttles to the airport for their guests. In winter, the room was about $40 US. There may be something similar near Heathrow.

JP
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
Explore,

Flip
</font>
Are you talking about Priceline? The problem is that the 3-Star category also has the St. Giles, a marginal hotel located several miles from Heathrow and without decent shuttle service. Last time I stayed there, the "Fawlty Towers" staff wanted to charge me again for the Priceline booking.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 11:13 am

Although I realize this info is too late to benefit Explore, I think it's a useful link to keep for future reference. This agency specializes in airport parking, transfers, hotels and combinations thereof. Prices for hotels begin at £42 a night and they guarantee the best price. http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/#
Old Oct 31, 2002, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just back from staying at LHR and I am getting really tired of the overpriced Hotel Hoppa at GBP3 each way, which runs much less frequently than advertised. I am convinced that the hotels ASKED the airport authority to ban shuttles so they could create the Hoppa as a separate profit center.

London hotels are among the most overpriced in the world. But you can now get from LHR to Paddington Station FASTER than you can get from LHR to a Heathrow hotel.

Old Oct 31, 2002, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Yes, but in GB there's almost always a fly in the ointment. In this case, the Heathrow Express rail to Paddington will cost around USD36 round trip, last time I checked. And pedestrian access from the terminals is very roundabout.

London and Heathrow seem like excellent places to use hotel awards to beat the outrageous prices. How have folks fared with these around Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.