Wiki Posts
Search

US Tourist Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:46 am
Original Poster

US Tourist Visa

Hi,
I have a friend who wants to come and visit 1 month in the US. He is from a country that requires a Tourist Visa to come to the US. I am a US citizen. Back in the old days, we would write a letter of invitation saying that we know the person in this capacity and that we are sponsoring them for a visit, have the letter notorized and send to person when they go for their interview.

I was thinking there would be a state department form or something to fill out for this, but I cannot find this.

What did other people do for visitors when they need a tourist US visa?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:59 am

The relevant form is the I-134 "Affidavit of Support".

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Depending on where your friend comes from, it may actually be a bad idea to tell consulate officials that he/she is staying with friends.
They can see it as "can't really afford traveling" and/or "intends to overstay".
Of course, there are other factors involved: the age of the person (people under 30, specially students), single or married, job and financial status, ownership of real estate, etc.

This is my experience back in Brazil: before I moved here (legally!), I used to come visit family/friends. To get/renew my visa, I'd say I wasn't yet sure where I'd be staying. Then, when flying to here, I'd use my family's address on the I-94.

In summary, in order to get a B1-B2 visa, you must prove that you'll come to the USA to spend money, you must show that you already have the money before the trip, and that you have roots in your home country and you must go back after the vacation.
I have countless friends and relatives who were turned down, because they failed to prove the points mentioned above.

On the other hand, if your friend is from a country without the bad reputation of sending illegal immigrants to the US, the visa process may be entirely different.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MariaSF
Depending on where your friend comes from, it may actually be a bad idea to tell consulate officials that he/she is staying with friends.
They can see it as "can't really afford traveling" and/or "intends to overstay".
Of course, there are other factors involved: the age of the person (people under 30, specially students), single or married, job and financial status, ownership of real estate, etc.

This is my experience back in Brazil: before I moved here (legally!), I used to come visit family/friends. To get/renew my visa, I'd say I wasn't yet sure where I'd be staying. Then, when flying to here, I'd use my family's address on the I-94.

In summary, in order to get a B1-B2 visa, you must prove that you'll come to the USA to spend money, you must show that you already have the money before the trip, and that you have roots in your home country and you must go back after the vacation.
I have countless friends and relatives who were turned down, because they failed to prove the points mentioned above.

On the other hand, if your friend is from a country without the bad reputation of sending illegal immigrants to the US, the visa process may be entirely different.
They failed to convince the consular officer. If you fir their profile of who should be denied, documentary evidence means nothing. Singe male under thirty, from certain countries, fits one profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.