Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XM Radio Satellite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2002, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

XM Radio Satellite

I raised this question on another board related to Airline Pilot careers, and thought I'd bring it here in similar format.

With all the hoopla on XM Satellite Radio and the ability for travelers (especially truckers) to tune to any station from anywhere in the country on the road, I thought it would be neat to have the same thing on commercial airplanes. I know that there are some flights that allow the PAX to listen to a variety of channels, but that variety is only limited to extremely few types of music with commercials and lots of talk (from my experience). I know that this normally costs $$ for normal service in a car or truck. So could this be technically possible for the airline industry to implement, or would such a thing be impossible and cost prohibitive? Personally, I would like to be able to tune to more of a variety of stations while on a long and boring flight. Comments?

Erik.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, WOH, Bonvoy
I'd be interested in hearing any reports from anyone who has this service, good, bad or ugly. I'm thinking of getting it.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The current issue of Consumer Reports (May, 2002) has an article about it on page 56.
Old Mar 29, 2002, 4:41 pm

TechTV did a review in Jan 2002:

http://www.techtv.com/products/consu...360750,00.html

They seemed to like it.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
http://www.biztrip.com
Old Mar 29, 2002, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Should be easy enough. JetBlue does it with DirectTV on its planes...

http://www.jetblue.com/Travelinfo/howToDetail.asp?topicId='13'
Old Mar 31, 2002, 3:48 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Great thread. Ive heard that some of the latest high-end 7.1 receivers have XM capability. I didnt know that you have to pay a monthly service, how much does it cost?
Old Mar 31, 2002, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
$10/mo
Old Mar 31, 2002, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by se94583:
I'd be interested in hearing any reports from anyone who has this service, good, bad or ugly. I'm thinking of getting it.</font>
My wife has had it in her VW Golf for 3 months. She really likes it. She like "70's", "Frank's Place", "Star Tracks" and "U-Pop". "Special X" is more my speed, they were playing a Mrs. Miller song yesterday.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Gaucho100K, and great replies!! It would still be interesting to see if the airlines (or which ones) install XM on their flights. But does JetBlue prove that it can technically be done by installing DIRECTV? Again, I think it would be cool to be able to listen to just about any kind of music, even MTV/VH1, or Rush on a long boring flight. I already know that if I went back to Long Haul Trucking (which I seriously doubt), the XM Radio would get priority over the CB RADIO, and the CDs would go. OK, the CDs won't go.

Edited to add: "HEADS UP", GUYS/GALS (pun intended )

Go to AIN ONLINE: Avionics Update and Scroll down to "Satellite Radio Flight Trials Set To Begin". I just found it.

Erik.

[This message has been edited by Window_Seat (edited 03-31-2002).]
Old Apr 4, 2002, 2:22 pm
Mollins&LuLu

I recently took Amtrak Acela, and they had the XM radio installed. I enjoyed it. Clear reception and good selection.
Otherwise, I haven't heard of it being installed on any airlines.

Old Apr 4, 2002, 11:33 pm

Anybody who has it: What happens when you go under overpasses, such as bridges etc...? The reason I ask, is that on the highway into work, I probably go under 20+ overpasses.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As a BTW, if you use wireless networks at home that uses 802.11b [aka Wi-Fi], then you might get some interference on the XM Radio band.

Same goes for 2.4Ghz wireless phones.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 11:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mymiles2go:
Anybody who has it: What happens when you go under overpasses, such as bridges etc...? The reason I ask, is that on the highway into work, I probably go under 20+ overpasses.</font>
A couple of the car magazines (car & driver, motortrend?) had articles about xm & sirius this month. They indicate that the radios have a several second delay/cache to deal with this issue. This is the same way car cd players deal with big bumps in the road--it reads ahead on the disk, and has time to read it again if there is a problem.

sounds like there are also differences in the number of satellites and the angle of satellite signal between the two companies.

Finally, it sounds like Sirius has a lot more commercial free airplay.

tempting, tempting...

JP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.