Wiki Posts
Search

Afghanistan Travel Warning?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2001, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Afghanistan Travel Warning?

While I think that it is quite obvious to most that Afghanistan is neither the garden spot it might have been, nor a magnet for tourists, I was nonetheless surprised to see that the US State Department's Consular Information Sheet has not been updated at all as of this posting. Given the current hyper-intense focus on that country, I was expecting to see both a ban on travel with strident warnings for US citizens to evacuate.

Perhaps the decision to leave intact the earlier official state dept position on travel to Afghanistan is intentional.

FWIW, the text currently pointed to by the above line follows:

Afghanistan - Consular Information Sheet
December 15, 2000
TRAVEL WARNING (issued 12/12/00): The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Afghanistan. We continue to receive threats from terrorists, including Usama bin Laden, who is based in Afghanistan, that do not distinguish between American government and civilian targets. U.S. citizens who are in Afghanistan or considering traveling there should be aware that the U.S. Government reserves the right to retaliate against the facilities of those who harbor terrorists, as well as the terrorists themselves. The Department of State urges Americans who decide to remain in Afghanistan in spite of this warning to exercise extreme caution, monitor their security situation closely and make plans for responding to a sudden deterioration in security conditions.

All U.S. personnel at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul were evacuated in 1989, and no other diplomatic mission represents U.S. interests or provides consular services.

President Clinton signed an Executive Order imposing financial and commercial sanctions against the Taliban in Afghanistan, a faction that currently exercises de facto control over much of the country, for their support of Usama bin Ladin and his terrorist network. On December 7, 2000, the United States and Russia introduced a new sanctions resolution against the Taliban for their refusal to comply with earlier (1999) United Nations Security Council Resolution 1267, demanding that Taliban authorities turn indicted terrorist Usama bin Laden over to a country where he can be brought to justice. The Taliban have criticized this action and have threatened to close UN non-humanitarian offices. The increased tensions created by the Taliban reactions to proposed new sanctions increases the risk of violence against U.S. citizens in Afghanistan.

In addition, frequent military operations continue in various regions of Afghanistan, sometimes involving intense fighting. Americans remain vulnerable to politically and criminally motivated attacks and violence, including robbery, detention and physical and/or mental harassment. The estimated 5-7 million landmines scattered throughout the countryside pose a danger to all residents and visitors to Afghanistan.

U.S. citizens who decide to enter Afghanistan in spite of this warning are strongly urged to register and obtain updated security information at the American Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, or the U.S. Consulate in Peshawar, Pakistan, at the following addresses:

U.S. Embassy, Diplomatic Enclave, Ramna 5, Islamabad, Telephone (92-51) 2080-0000, Consular Section (92-51) 2080-2700, Fax (92-51) 822-632

U.S. Consulate Peshawar, 11 Hospital Road, Telephone (92-91) 279-801, Fax (92-91) 276-712

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.