Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taucher:
Are you really so conventional, Robb, always doing as others expect you to?
</font>
That sounds a wee bit patronizing. Judging others?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taucher:
Are you really so conventional, Robb, always doing as others expect you to?
</font>
That sounds a wee bit patronizing. Judging others?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
That sounds a wee bit patronizing. Judging others?</font>
How do you arrive at that conclusion? It's not intended to be.

BTW, wasn't it you who judged others as "cheap" just a few posts above?

[This message has been edited by taucher (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
That sounds a wee bit patronizing. Judging others?</font>
How do you arrive at that conclusion? It's not intended to be.

[This message has been edited by taucher (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:15 pm

</font>
That was my observation!

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:15 pm

</font>
That was my observation!

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:23 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
No, I wouldn't accept an unclena room at checkin anymore than I would accept an unclean rent car.

But, I'm perfectly okay with the fact that the rental car company doesn't visit me everyday of my trip, cleaning out the ashtrays, picking up garbage, and giving it a quick wash and vaccuum.

Having a housekeeper come to my room every day is not essential. It's a personal service.

As for conformity, yes, I behave as I'm expected to. I don't chew with my mouth open, I don't scratch myself in public, and I don't stiff the housekeeper. It just what you're supposed to do and reflects good upbringing.

If someone isn't prepared to pay the price of travel, then they shouldn't be travelling.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:23 pm

No, I wouldn't accept an unclena room at checkin anymore than I would accept an unclean rent car.

But, I'm perfectly okay with the fact that the rental car company doesn't visit me everyday of my trip, cleaning out the ashtrays, picking up garbage, and giving it a quick wash and vaccuum.

Having a housekeeper come to my room every day is not essential. It's a personal service.

As for conformity, yes, I behave as I'm expected to. I don't chew with my mouth open, I don't scratch myself in public, and I don't stiff the housekeeper. It just what you're supposed to do and reflects good upbringing.

If someone isn't prepared to pay the price of travel, then they shouldn't be travelling.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:

</font>
Well said!

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:

</font>
Well said!

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:00 pm

</font>
Having an acceptably clean room with sufficient stocks of towels and sundry items is essential for me, so I suppose we have an irreconcilable difference of opinion.

As for conformity, yes, I behave as I'm expected to. I don't chew with my mouth open, I don't scratch myself in public, and I don't stiff the housekeeper. </font>
It's funny, but outside of Flyertalk, I've only rarely encountered anyone who regards it as an obligation under normal circumstances.

If someone isn't prepared to pay the price of travel, then they shouldn't be travelling. </font>
Yes, and that particular price is included in the hotel rate.

Be as condescending as you like, use as many shaming tactics or ad hominem attacks as you like, but "tradition" and "custom" are poor excuses for valid reasons. What a horrid, backward society we'd have if they were.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:00 pm

</font>
Having an acceptably clean room with sufficient stocks of towels and sundry items is essential for me, so I suppose we have an irreconcilable difference of opinion.

As for conformity, yes, I behave as I'm expected to. I don't chew with my mouth open, I don't scratch myself in public, and I don't stiff the housekeeper. </font>
It's funny, but outside of Flyertalk, I've only rarely encountered anyone who regards it as an obligation under normal circumstances.

If someone isn't prepared to pay the price of travel, then they shouldn't be travelling. </font>

Be as condescending as you like, use as many shaming tactics or ad hominem attacks as you like, but "tradition" and "custom" are poor excuses for valid reasons. What a horrid, backward society we'd have if they were.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I work in the service industry too. I wish tipping were common in my field, I'd love to have my clients stop buy and shove thousands of dollars in my pockets.

That said, I do tip hotel maids. Sometimes daily, other times at the end of the trip.

d
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I work in the service industry too. I wish tipping were common in my field, I'd love to have my clients stop buy and shove thousands of dollars in my pockets.

That said, I do tip hotel maids. Sometimes daily, other times at the end of the trip.

d
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:42 pm

</font>

I hope you're not getting too personally engaged in this.

I think we do have an irreconcilable difference here. I think that a society run entirely by logic and rigid rules would be far more horrid. Instead, it's a much more pleasant place with its social graces and ettiquette that serve only others and not ourselves.

I agree that tipping has gone too far. I don't tip for counter service at a fast-food restaurant; I don't tip everyone who touches my bag; and I don't tip just because someone throws out a tip jar. But, I do tip where it's generally expected. It is a part of their expected compensation whether they make minimum wage or not.

Should bonuses only be given out to office workers who make a sub-par wage? No, when people are hired, they find out what bonuses they are eligible for and work towards them. It's part of their employment contract.

Tipping the housekeeper is part of the social contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.