Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fourth of July Fireworks?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2001, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Fourth of July Fireworks?

Perhaps it'll be tough to follow Millennium festivities, but I'd still like to hear ideas for great fireworks-viewing in 2001. Anything special going on in your neck of the woods? (General fireworks activities info also welcome; not necessarily tied to 4th of July.)

[This message has been edited by ClassicalGal (edited 04-25-2001).]
Old Apr 14, 2001, 2:46 pm

Macy's does a fabulous job in New York Harbor. Last summer, we sat on a blanket with a bottle of wine and watched fireworks from the ski slope at Jackson Hole.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 2:59 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
KFOG radio station in San Francisco puts on a wonderful fireworks show in May. Last year's show was the most amazing one I'd seen. The more unusual features included explosions that left behind a bunch of flares attached to parachutes and some huge heart-shaped explosions set to "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." I heard second-hand (so don't know if true) that this is the first show of the season for the pyrotechnics company that puts it on. As such, they supposedly invite all their clients for the year and then show off their new stuff. This year's show is May 12.

The May show is far better than what we get on July 4.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 04-15-2001).]
Old Apr 14, 2001, 3:01 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have seen a proposal to hold an international fireworks competition at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, just north of San Diego, this fall. I think it's in early October. There are to be invited teams from several countries, each given a half hour to create a spectacular display. I believe that three nights of competition are planned. I'm writing from memory which is obviously vague. But if you're a fireworks afficionado, let me know. I'll be happy to let you know more when I do.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 3:04 pm

Programs: Many
July 4: Ala Moana Beach Park in Honolulu. Sometimes they have an air show by the US Air
Farce Thunderbirds during the day across Waikiki too.

[This message has been edited by unagi1 (edited 04-14-2001).]
Old Apr 14, 2001, 8:10 pm
Original Member

We departed PHL to LHR on July 4th at 9 p.m. Headed up over PA, then New Jersey, then along Long Island. Must have seen fireworks going off in about 100+ locations as we were flying. they are pretty small from up there, but it was neat.

Djlawman
Old Apr 14, 2001, 8:30 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
Boston has a nice fireworks display called "Battle of the Barges", IIRC. Two competing companies float out on the water and take turns firing off volleys of fireworks. Last year it was the weekend of July 15/16, to coincide with Tall Ships Boston, but I'm not sure when it is this year.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 10:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
New York is an excellent choice. Even better is you get on a World Yacht or one of the other dinner cruises.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 11:33 pm

I always liked the Detroit-Windsor International Freedom Festival Fireworks on the Canada/US Border...

Fireworks are held sometime between July 1st (Canada Day) and July 4th (Independence Day)

KevinB
Old Apr 15, 2001, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
I'm biased growing up in Maryland. Can't beat watching the fireworks over the Mall and the monuments in Washington, DC. It's as patriotic as it can be.

Plus, with SW fare sale, alot of airlines are matching including AA. I think it ends on the 16th.

I had to edit it to add Washington in front of DC.

Sorry,

SFOJFK

[This message has been edited by SFOJFK (edited 04-18-2001).]
Old Apr 15, 2001, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by letiole:
KFOG radio station in San Francisco puts on a wonderful fireworks show in May. Last year's show was the most amazing one I'd seen...This year's show is May 13.

The May show is far better than what we get on July 4.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 04-14-2001).]
The KFOG show is actually Saturday, May 12. Sounds like fun...Blues Traveler will be playing. More info at www.kfog.com.

Old Apr 15, 2001, 9:02 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the correction. I'll amend my post so I don't lead anyone astray.
Old Apr 15, 2001, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally posted by ClassicalGal:
Perhaps it'll be tough to follow Millennium festivities, but I'd still like to hear ideas for great fireworks-viewing in 2001. Anything special going on in your neck of the woods?
classicalgal,
You could always see two 4th of July fireworks celebrations in the same day. Come up to Juneau for the first fireworks of the 4th. Juneau has them at 12am on the 4th (or midnite on the 3rd). So you could see the fireworks here and still fly down south and see the fireworks somewhere else. (sea, sfo, wherever). Juneau's are pretty impressive with the mountains, the ocean, and the cruise ships.
jerry
Old Apr 16, 2001, 11:04 am

I have always found Boston to put on a great show from the Charles River and with the Boston Pops playing at the Hatchshell.
Old Apr 16, 2001, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
No place like Grant Park in Chicago for the 1812 Overture and endless fireworks. But that's usually July 3rd I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.