Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is Argentina inexpensive now?

Old Apr 18, 2001, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Planning a trip in May to Buenos Aires and Argentine countryside. Is food, lodging, etc. inexpensive? Has anyone visited there recently and can they offer some advice/tips? Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2001, 4:29 pm
SK

I visited Buenos Aires last month. Whether it will be inexpensive or not, is up to you. For example, accomodation can start at $20 per night, for a very basic hotel in a not that fancy area, and it can go to hundreds of dollars for the usual top end hotels. The standard guides (Lonely Planet, Rough Guide etc) and of course the internet can give you a lot of info.
In general, I found that prices for most everyday expenses are comparable to those in a major city of the U.S..

Originally posted by Freefly:
Planning a trip in May to Buenos Aires and Argentine countryside. Is food, lodging, etc. inexpensive? Has anyone visited there recently and can they offer some advice/tips? Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2001, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
During the 80's it seemed one year it was the most expensive in the world, the next year the cheapest. One thing... 21% hotel tax is no fun.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 7:40 pm

The economy is on the brink and the middle class is being sucked down the drain. If this trend continues, one wonders how long they can keep their currency "pegged" to the dollar.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The Peso has been 1=1 for about 20 years now as I recall, and mutters of devaluation have been around that long.

For South America THE most expensive country to visit, bar none.

But worth it.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Apr 27, 2001, 9:02 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I'd say you'd find prices above medium Latin America standards.

Taxis are cheap. Do have fun with taxis.

Time available? Take the ferry to Montevideo, Uruguay! Downtown-Downtown, clear customs, etc.
Old Apr 27, 2001, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Exp
Can anybody comment on the skiing? I've heard it's quite impressive. What are the resort towns like, cost-wise, for the budget traveller? (Las Lenas, for example)

Thanks,
E
Old Apr 28, 2001, 7:55 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I was there 2 months ago, and found prices to be comparable to those of an expensive American city-- maybe a little bit less than NYC, but more than most places in the States.

Another suggestion, take the high speed ferry to Colonia, Uruguay-- it can make a nice day/overnight trip.
Old Apr 28, 2001, 11:41 am

Programs: TK*G EP
For a day trip to Colonia, try "Buquebus".
http://www.buquebus.com/ingles/Paque...ticos.asp?Op=5
Old Apr 28, 2001, 1:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
ozstamps states:

The Peso has been 1=1 for about 20 years now as I recall, and mutters of devaluation have been around that long.
Your memory is a little fuzzy again, my friend, the "peso" has been devalued by a factor of 10 million since 1985!

Currency and Banking

Formerly, Argentina's monetary system was based on the peso oro (Spanish _gold peso_), although no gold coins actually circulated. The peso moneda nacional (called the paper peso and consisting of 100 centavos) was the currency in use. Rampant inflation in the 1970s and early 1980s rapidly depreciated the value of the peso, and in June 1985 a new currency, the austral (equal to 1000 pesos), was introduced as part of an ambitious program to control inflation. When this failed, the nuevo peso argentino (now Argentine peso, equal to 10,000 australs) was introduced in January 1992, at an exchange rate of 1 peso = U.S.$1.
http://www.shadow.net/~giorgio/argentina.html

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 04-28-2001).]
Old Apr 28, 2001, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i go there to trout fish mostly. we use a meet & greet service when going as a group this gets more & more expensive. i have, when going on a different schedule from the rest have used taxi's to xfer to domestic airport, 1st time got one from taxi line about $60- 5yrs ago. there is a kiosk at eze- you can't miss it going straight out for taxis. this was $35-2 yrs ago.there are two terminals, i assume that the service is available in the aerolineas terminal. my spanish is minimal. one hint, if you take a taxi to the domestic a/p from the street, don't say newberry air port. say aeroparque [aeroparkay] , its a great place. have fun

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 04-28-2001).]
Old May 1, 2001, 8:33 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
According to a chart in the Expat forum the cost of living in Argentina is comparable to Hong Kong or the UK:

http://www.expatforum.com/Resources/icol.htm

Not the Argentina I remember from the '70's when the budget traveler could live in style for three or four US Dollars a day. It was, however, a very difficult time for the locals, who had to deal with 1000+% inflation.
Old May 3, 2001, 9:30 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Dear E-- the skiing is very good, although our resorts are not as developed at the large European and US resorts. I suggest you sample Bariloche and/or Las Lenias. Enjoy!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.