Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Men not allowed next to unaccompanied minors on British Airways?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Men not allowed next to unaccompanied minors on British Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2001, 12:02 pm

Originally posted by dholloway:
Comparing Rosa Parks on a bus to a business passenger travelling on an airplane also does nothing but belittle the civil-rights cause.
Yeah, because a person riding on a bus and a person riding on a plane are two TOTALLY different things.

Honestly, how could anyone be offended just because they were accused of being a potential child molester in front of their peers (or their coworkers!)?

Those darn men are always overreacting when we announce in public that we're rearranging the passengers due to their inability to keep from sexually assaulting defenseless children...
Old Apr 27, 2001, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We should also look at this from the perspective of the UM....

If I were an 8 year old girl away from my parents on my own on a flight I wouldn't like to be sitting between 2 strangers, male or female, I can only assume that the airlines keep this in mind and adjust the policy....
Old Apr 27, 2001, 12:26 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I must say that BA's policy completely disgusts me. To use the justification that "it's what our customers have requested" and "we're a responsible airline" is totally wrong. I'm sure segregating whites and blacks on buses, in restaurants, etc. was similarly considered a "customer friendly" and "responsible" at one time as well.

I wonder if anyone has resisted this policy in practice? i.e., Refused to change seats on a full flight and forced BA to either deny service or give in (here's where the Rosa Parks reference comes in). I have to admit that it would be tough to resist in front of 100 pax with the airline implying that failure to move makes you a sick pervert. I'm not familiar with British law, but it seems like there would be a major case for a lawsuit here.

Again - the original point is that the very existence of this policy is completely offensive. The fact that - in practice - I wouldn't want the seat next to a UM is irrelevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.