Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any Timeshare Owners Out There?

Old Apr 18, 01, 8:55 am
Original Poster

If so, just curious to see what experiences you have regarding exchanges. I own a 2 BR in Hawaii, and I've had reasonably good success exchanging through RCI. Thanks for your input.
Glenn
Old Apr 18, 01, 10:24 am

I have 2 Red weeks at different properties in St. Maarten. Have exchanged with RCI many times...Orlando, Palm Springs, Branson (twice), London, etc.
Old Apr 18, 01, 10:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
We own 1 week in vegas which we bought specifically to trade and never had any problems, Portugal, Spain, Canal Boat-England (twice), except trying to get London.
We also lease one week on Rhodes which we bought to use - but have traded successfully once for Spain. All trades with RCI
Old Apr 18, 01, 3:43 pm

I own a 2 bedroom in Orlando which is across Sea World.
Old Apr 22, 01, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
I own two units - a 3 bedroom on Kauai - Pa'Hio, Princeville area, and a 2 bedroom at the Rushes in Door County, WI. I have had them about 12 years and have always got into resorts I want when I want, including europe. Both are Red time and trade through RCI. I usually trade 2 years out so that I can be sure to get the resorts I want and then have enough time to get my FF tickets.

About the only time I've had a problem is this year trying to get into the Lodge at Yellowstone. It trades too low to allow us to trade into it. So the RCI agent had to override the system and issued us a warning that we will not be able to use the 24 hr. like it or leave it rule. We understand but still wanted to stay there - it doesn't appear "bad" or anything from the book.

If anyone has info on this (Red Lodge) resort I would appreciate it.
Old Apr 22, 01, 11:05 am

We just purchasd a 2 bedroom HGVC across from Sea World with the intent of exchanging and short term open rental options. I don't know if it is a good deal or not, We havn't tried to do anything yet. I hope it is a good deal, or at least a decent deal. Any info would be nice.
Old Apr 22, 01, 1:16 pm

Originally posted by glenngpr:
If so, just curious to see what experiences you have regarding exchanges. I own a 2 BR in Hawaii, and I've had reasonably good success exchanging through RCI. Thanks for your input.
Glenn
Old Apr 22, 01, 1:25 pm

Join TUG (Timeshare Users Group) (tug2.net) It'll be the best $15.00 you ever spent. You'll learn more about timeshares and exchanging in an hour than you'll learn just being an owner and exchanging in 15 years. You can read the bulletin boards free, but you can't get access to the resort reviews, etc. without joining. If you do join, please use my name--Pat Streeter-- (gives me $5.00 credit toward my next renewal;every little bit helps : ) )

My timeshares:
1. Powhatan in Williamsburg--Sunterra so it does a good job of getting Sunterras everywhere.
2. Christie Lodge in Avon, Co.--does a nice job getting others because it's a ski week
3. Mt. Amanzi--South Africa. Definitely the best deal going. You can buy a one bedroom unit, pay two years maint. fees, pay closing costs on the unit and have 6 years RCI membership thrown in for a total cost of about $1000. It is a fantastic trader. Sounds crazy, but it's true.
4. Pelican on St. Maarten--haven't exchanged it yet so I don't know how it trades.
5. Worldmark points--great traders for anywhere.

Old Apr 22, 01, 6:59 pm

I used Pat Streeter.
Old Apr 22, 01, 11:30 pm

Many thanks; I'll think fondly of you as I approach retirement. : )

Pat
Old Apr 23, 01, 4:00 am

Pat ... I've read about the South African timeshares .. any idea why they seem to be such good traders? And will it last?

-David
Old Apr 23, 01, 4:31 am

I own at Disney Vacation Club..no weeks, points. I have traded to Paris and Vienna, no problem.

John
Old Apr 23, 01, 7:25 am

Supposedly they are excellent traders because Europeans really like to go there for holidays--all I know is it works. I bought one for me and one for each married daughter; the three of us have always exchanged for Gold Crown units, the daughters always take two bedrooms, I sometimes take one because there are just two of us--and they have children so are limited to school vacation times, and I teach and am limited to the same. Will it last? Who can say, but we're already re-couped more than the money in them by far.
Pat
Old Apr 23, 01, 7:27 am

About South African timeshares:

There has been a lot of discussion on TUG about the trading value. They used to all trade pretty much equally, but now it would appear that some are better than others. I have a standard that trades equally to the Gold Crowns (at least for the moment). Not all do.

The reason for their trade power? We have to remember not to judge things solely from our own perspective. South Africa is a desirable location for Europeans. It's a great place to go on safari (a highly romanticized activity), and the exchange rate is generally favorable.

Additionally, it's warm when most of Europe is freezing cold. It's much the same as those of us from the east going to Hawaii in the winter.

So whereas we might not view SA as a desirable location to visit, others don't see it that way. As for if it's going to last, who knows?? However, it should be pointed out that with the low prices of many SA units, if you make just one or two trades, you have obtained your money's worth, and then some!

[This message has been edited by BariCat (edited 04-23-2001).]
Old Apr 23, 01, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at picking up a second week. I'll consider South Africa. Has anyone ever traded, or knows someone who traded, into Windjammer Landing, St. Lucia? It never seems to have any availablility.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: