Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you do any "odd" things when arriving to your hotel room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you do any "odd" things when arriving to your hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:49 am

Am I the only one who runs the bathtub water just to make sure the drain works properly? About 25% of the time it doesn't. One of my biggest pet peeves is having dirty bath water rise over my ankles while showering.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:59 am

Am I the only one that feels that the above people are a little bit compulsive and "need" some germs in their life. They need some germs because:
1. They are first to die or get sick when any outbreak breaks because they have no immunities built up. You know the type, first home sick with a cold, yet they are the ones with the antibacterial lotion and Kleenex on their desk.

2. The stessing over this kind of stuff is going to kill them before the stray hair does.

3. If they are traveling with associates, you know they are the ones being talked about behind their backs. Waiting on Sue for dinner because she is busy marking her sheets and cleaning her tub.

4. They are missing out on a lot of fun and enjoyable things in life. Get dirty, get germmy, lifes too short, and it can be great fun!!

5. Your more likely to die slipping in the tub than any stray hair in the sheets you find yourself obsessing over.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
1. Remove all the marketing pieces from the workdesk, nightstand, bed, and yes, sometimes even in the bathroom, and put them in a drawer.

2. Remove the bedspread if it's an old-style non-Duvet bed and put it in the closet.

3. Rinse all glasses and coffee mugs.

4. Sometimes, depending on the general housekeeping condition of the room, spray the toilet seat and generally all-over with Lysol. Luckily, these types of hotels are rare.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flush the toilet and make sure it works and doesn't run. And I check the HVAC.

In my experience, the toilet has caused me to have to move rooms, and the HVAC is the #2 culprit in this regard. So I check them first.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: KL/BMI/BA
Originally Posted by t-rev
I always...

5. Wipe down remote control for TV with hot water and/or Purel if I have it.

Saw local news story regarding remote controls in hotels, nasty stuff....
Place remote control inside one of those transparent polythene sandwich/freezer bags and seal closed. Problem solved. ^
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by db4570
Am I the only one who runs the bathtub water just to make sure the drain works properly? About 25% of the time it doesn't. One of my biggest pet peeves is having dirty bath water rise over my ankles while showering.

I find some of the time it doesnt "work well enough."

-Vincent
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by delacpa
Just a note regarding "leaving the door key on the floor" -- last year in Beijing and last month in Milan, my hotel room lights were "key activated". In other words, inserting the key in the slot by the door turned on the room lights and, of course, upon departure, removing the key, turned them off. Therefore, I always knew where my key was -- otherwise I was literally "in the dark"
I have noticed several hotels using that method -- all in Asia so far. It is a great idea for two reasons: (1) you always know where your key is, and (2) you cannot leave all the lights on all day while your are out of the room, saving energy.

I am surprised that virtually everyone does something related to the cleanliness (or not) of the room. I have never done that except if the dirt is very obvious. There is just too much dirt and germs everywhere to think that cleaning a hotel room is going to make a significant difference.

The 'odd' things that I do are

1. Check to see if there is a Gideon Bible (there always is) -- I don't read it, but I like knowing it's there.
2. Take me carkeys, hotel keys, change, and the other cr@p from my pockets and put them in a glass on the bureau -- that way I always know where that stuff is.
3. Lay out my toiletries and medications in the bathroom (which, sadly, now takes more time than the toiletries).
4. Then I check the phone book to see if anyone in town has the same surname as mine. My father said we were the only ones in the US with that name, but I have proven him wrong dozens of times.

Last edited by DaDOKin DC; Mar 3, 2006 at 5:50 pm
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by flyerwife
. . .
Don't ask me why....I donated cartons of hotel amenities for both 9/11 workers and Katrina relief, yet I am still compelled to bring more home. They do get donated to local shelters regularly. I will say that I honestly have not bought a bar of soap in over 10 years and have enough soap to personally last me another 20....if I were to keep it all for myself (which I won't).

I'm the only one who dashes for the freebies??
I do the same -- I, too, just carted two Xerox boxes full of shampoo/soap/etc for Katrina relief, and I have two more at home for local shelters. At first I thought it was wasteful, even if for a good cause, but I found most hotels replace them every day even if only a bit of shampoo or conditioner is used. Well, if they are going to replace them anyway, I might as well take them and donate them. I keep the more exotic ones and place in a bowl in my guest bathroom ("The Equator Hotel" in Kenya, a hotel in Laos) -- it can be conversation piece.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:47 pm

1. Remove bedspread completely!
2. See if bathroom is clean-esp. toilet.
3. Make sure lights work
4. Make sure there is no smell of cigarettes lingering (or hovering)

And now for a scary thing...a new OCD habit....

5. If the room is really gross (like a hotel I didn't have a choice about staying at for a work conference), clean the phone and TV remote control with some Purell.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:48 pm

Programs: Steerage
A friend of a friend lines the hotel drawers with shelf paper.

I always thought that was a bit excessive, but maybe she's onto something.
I worked at a hotel in college at the front desk. My manager was previously a housekeeping manager and she told us to NEVER put our clothes in hotel drawers. She had some disgusting stories about things she found in dresser drawers. I'm not particularly germophobic (certainly not compared to some others on this thread ) but I keep my clothes in my suitcase now.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: Steerage
I'm the only one who dashes for the freebies??
Depends on what the freebies are. I have brought home bags full of Aveda toiletries before but otherwise I usually don't bother.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
1. Empty pockets
2. PUt key card in wallet
3. Throw bedspread on floor by wall
4. Put luggage on bed or on stand
5. Turn on TV
6. Look out window
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:48 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Red face

When travelling

- Insert key in slot by door (if applicable).
- Lay out luggage in bedroom.
- Open curtains to let sun in.
- Lay laptop equipment on desk in executive suite (unless in Ryokan).
- Check bathroom for missing towels.
- Verify a/c or heating is working correctly.
- Go out on balcony if hotel has one and take in the feeble air.
- Acquaint myself with hotel offerings/amenities.
- Acquaint self with area around hotel and get maps if required.

And like some other posters, I don't unpack my suitcase, I live out of the suitcase -- and have some plastic bags with me to store my laundry in for the laundromat if theres one nearby.

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by MrMan
Am I the only one that feels that the above people are a little bit compulsive and "need" some germs in their life
I agree with you.

I do not need to go to extreme lengths and put an X on my sheets to ensure they are changed the next day. For stays of four nights or less I will actually inform housekeeping that I don't wish to have my sheets and towels changed daily. I only rinse the glasses/teacups before I use them not because I'm fearful of germs but because there are usually traces of fluff from towels.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 2:36 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by go go girl
I am paranoid about the cleanliness of glasses. I have read that if you see trays of clean glasses on the maid's cart, they should be okay to use. If not, they are washed in the bathroom sink(yuk!) or just wiped with a rag--and who knows what else that rag has touched?

I know of a woman business traveler that makes a path on the floor with towels from the bed to the bathroom.
I used to do this with towels too. Now, I just make sure to pack a pair of slippers.

As for the glasses, reading this thread makes me wary of using them in the future. To think that I've used them to drink tap water before (of course, only in places that have drinkable tap water.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.