Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Monorail at EWR to possibly be closed for up to 4 months?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Monorail at EWR to possibly be closed for up to 4 months?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2000, 8:59 am

The monorail closed Friday night/Saturday mornng at midnight.

Last night (Saturday) around 9:30pm it was a horror, as all the off-airport shuttle buses and the monorail bus were doing pickup/dropoffs outside the same door on the departure level at Terminal C. Plus the inside lane was blocked off by cones in order to make a taxi stand outside the same door. Ugh! Glad I won't be there tonight.
Old Sep 11, 2000, 6:42 am
Commander Catcop

FOur paws up for this post NJDAVID!

I'm going to miss the monorail too because if I'm landing at Terminal C (as in Continental) and the lines at the taxis are too long, I do a (soon to be not so) secret trick and take the rail to Terminal A where most times the taxi line is less...

But I think EWR is adding a new amusement ride: "The BUS of BEASTS:" Angry and confused travelers moving like frightened sheep and angry wolves trying to find the right bus to the right terminal!!

YIKES! Can we bring A&E over here to film this nightmare for the next sequence of "Airport" documentaries?
Old Oct 16, 2000, 10:19 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Pax traffic at EWR up 46%!
Old Oct 16, 2000, 11:37 am

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Is the monorail still inoperable? Planning a trip there on 11/11...
Old Oct 16, 2000, 11:46 am

Yup
Old Oct 16, 2000, 12:06 pm

The signs say it'll be closed until the end of this year at least. That means we'll be lucky if it opens by spring 2001.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I consider it to be EWR's answer to the not-so-nice car rental mess at SFO. Now we have both coasts almost equally balanced in regard to cattle-drive and/or passenger-herding prize.

Go through both of these in one day and you will go bonkers!

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 10-16-2000).]
Old Oct 16, 2000, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sorry, a dupe

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 10-16-2000).]
Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:30 pm
doc
Original Poster

It was announced today that the EWR monorail will actually not be able to open by New Years Day, as had been suggested.

They'll need more time to install heaters and for some "additional testing!" ;

So it's going to be another month or more!

Happy Holidays from the Port Authority!
Old Jan 26, 2001, 7:48 am
doc
Original Poster

The monorail will be out of service for at least another month. Officials had hoped to have trains between the terminals and parking areas back in operation by January 1, 2001 but a new heating system and riding surface are still not complete.

Yet, coming through EWR 2 days ago, I noted that they were testing it - and rumours abound that it will be in actual operation again next week!

We can only hope!

BTW- I also encountered 2 NWA pilots on the shuttle bus who both expressed much optimism about ongoing negotiations with mechanics and everyone else - and the industry in general!
Old Jan 26, 2001, 11:15 am

Latest press I heard was, if testing goes well, open by the 2nd week in February. I'll be flying out tomorrow and returning on 4 Feb, so will try to give an update on my return.
Old Jan 26, 2001, 11:23 pm

Paulo

While you are at EWR, please give us an update on the proposed Northeast corridor NJTransit rail station. Any chance of opening it in 2001?

[This message has been edited by MSP2000 (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old Jan 27, 2001, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only are they "testing" it, they are actually removing some of the plywood around the work areas........IMHO an even better sign of progress.

MisterNice
Old Feb 9, 2001, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I heard on the local (central New Jersey) radio station today that the monorail was on track to be operational by the end of this month. (fingers crossed)
Old Feb 9, 2001, 8:03 pm
doc
Original Poster

Yep, supposedly! I was just there and it's tough to believe! We can only hope!

-----

The USD$354 million Newark International Airport monorail, built four years ago, has already been out of service for repairs for five months - two months longer than planned.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, said today that the monorail would be out of service at least until the end of this month, if not longer, while it conducted more tests needed to link the system to New Jersey Transit and Amtrak.

"I think you could say we're hopeful of having it back in service by the end of the month," said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the agency.

Early last year, the Port Authority announced that the monorail — a loop that carried 38,000 passengers a day to and from the airport's parking lots and three main terminals — would be shut down in September for repairs, after a design flaw resulted in rust damage to heating pipes that were supposed to keep the rail from icing over in cold weather.

Officials said that the USD$25 million cost of the repairs, as well as USD$9 million worth of extra buses that have been ferrying passengers in the meantime, is being borne by the contractor that built the monorail, ADtranz, a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler that is being sold to Bombardier Inc., a Canadian company.
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2001/02/981749365.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.