Wiki Posts
Search

London Underground: three February strike dates set

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2001, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
London Underground: three February strike dates set

A search through several forums did not turn up any reference to this news so I thought I would post it as an alert to all FlyerTalkers planning to visit London in February.

Received a call today from a friend in Norwich, England. She was aware of my mileage run to LHR next weekend and wanted to alert me to the threat of a strike by London Underground workers. Apparently, rail unions are in a dispute over a number of issues relative to the "Public Private Partnership" funding program and the plan is to strike on three consecutive Mondays next month: Feb. 5, 12 and 19.

Here is a link to a page of the London Underground web site where you can learn more about the potential strikes:
http://www.thetube.com/webcode/homep...eset.asp?id=10
Old Jan 28, 2001, 6:58 pm
DOC 2 BE

Thank you so much! Plan to be in London on 2/19 and was thinking of taking the Tube to Heathrow. Now might buy a round trip on the LHR Express if it will not be affected by the job action.

Thanx again!

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 01-28-2001).]

Old Jan 28, 2001, 6:59 pm
DOC 2 BE

Sorry!

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 01-28-2001).]

Old Jan 28, 2001, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
So glad you can benefit from this news! You should be fine on Heathrow Express as it is operated by BAA rather than London Transport. The rail unions' grievances, I understand, are with the latter.
Old Jan 28, 2001, 10:55 pm
DOC 2 BE

Thanx. I was planning to stay at the Hilton Metropole which is supposedly a short walk from Paddington Station. However, inasmuch as we were leaving from LHR at 4PM, I was still thinking of getting around London on 2/19. Now, that may be unlikely.

Old Jan 29, 2001, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Thanks for the information! I'm going to be in London during one of those strikes so now I can plan around it for traffic!
Old Feb 1, 2001, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And to add woe onto British woe, this morning 2 out of 3 Gatwick "Express" ttrains were cancelled because of a landside somewhere on the tracks. Additionally I have an early AM flight outta here on Mon Feb 5 so I will be watching the local news. &^*%£(*&^!!!

MisterNice
Old Feb 1, 2001, 7:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The information was most appreciated, as I too was planning on taking the underground back to the airport on the 19th. Have to assume the LHR express and taxi's will be a nightmare if this happens.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 7:14 am
DOC 2 BE

Oh my god!! Thank god I am flying into/out of LHR.

What the Devil is happening in the UK! Luton closed twice due to snow and now a landslide, presumably due to heavy rains -- I heard nothing of an earthquake in England -- will that "Sceptered Isle" just slide beneath the waves??
BTW MrNice, where did you stay while in London? Did you like it?

Old Feb 1, 2001, 7:38 am
DOC 2 BE

MRNICE --

A FT poster had mentioned the ThamesLink as a less expensive and perhaps more convenient alternative to the GW Express.

Here is its URL:

http://www.thameslink.co.uk/

Hope this of help to you and Cordelli!

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 02-01-2001).]

Old Feb 1, 2001, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

D2B-

Thanks for the info. The link is very slow and not too much info though. A train called Connix (or something like it ) is heavily advertised for GBP 8.3 or whatever. Locals say it is a non-express but is worth while. I will try to advise on the Gatwick Express situation as it is "normally" a nice deal.

MisterNice
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:14 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I too, will be traveling out of London on 2/19th to LGW. Would the Gatwick Express be affected by this strike? I'm at the Sheraton Park Tower, and while it is a walk, I would be able to to to Victoria station on foot (if need be). But will this train be running???? Or should I plan on the Thameslink and try to book a hotel closer to that option for Sun night???
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:31 am

DOC 2BE Sorry !!!! - Luton airport closed twice due to snow! and you think we have problems??. Have a look in your own back yard at power problems in california before feeling "sorry" for us. Here's a thought.

"I suggest that all persons considering a vist to California should delay their trip until their is sufficient power available to guarantee the safe operation of Lifts whoops! my mistake ELEVATORS!"

For what is's worth the "considered underground strike" has been stopped by court action so for all those planning a visit to london go ahead. You could always vist other parts of the UK you know. There is a lot more to England than London, Oxford and York you know!

[This message has been edited by woodie (edited 02-01-2001).]
Old Feb 1, 2001, 10:05 am
DOC 2 BE

Hey Woodie,

I wasn't being sarcastic or bad mouthing the UK!! In point of fact, I have probably visited your island about 5 times in the last 5 years, and if you kept abreast of the Hilton board, you would know that I will be in London in approx. 2 weeks!

Furthermore, I much prefer to be in the UK than California (sorry to my CA friends!) but the distance from the RIGHT COAST to both CA and the UK is about the same!

Moreover, I am quite aware that there is more to the UK than the cities that you have mentioned, for I have visited the UK from the wild Isle of Skye in the North, to quaint Aberwytsywth in the West (I forgot, we really don't know how much longer these areas will be part of the UK, as the concept of Devolution appears to be gaining ground in both Scotland and Wales? -- Sorry, just had to get my good natured digs in there!), to Penzance in the Southwest.

As to the problems that CA is experiencing, that has not affected us here in the East, in the least. Moreover, as my wife is a bankruptcy attorney, if one of those companies goes "belly up," that surely would be more work for her, so I'm not complaining about that!! Moreover, she might even to be able to travel out there to see her friends, as well as earn more FF miles/points!

Old Feb 1, 2001, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Man, I'll be landing LHR at midday 2/19 and had also planned to hop the Tube into town. Thanks for the news.

It's amazing how many FTers just happen to be flying in or out of London on any given day, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.