A simple asprin may reduce DVT flying risk

A simple asprin may reduce DVT flying risk

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0101/13/f...features8.html

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Jan 16, 2001, 6:10 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"MAY" is the operational term here, Glen!

My recommendation, FWIW, is to consult your "doc" for medical advice!

Remember, aspirin may also cause rather profound gastric irritation and so on - particularly on an empty stomach! And in combination with a hefty dose of alcohol, you may really be giving your liver a workout! And what other medications is one taking! Again, IMHO, it's all about benefit/risk anaylsis!
Old Jan 16, 2001, 6:34 am

I usually take a couple of aspirin before boarding a flight (not on a full stomach for reasons Doc mentioned).

I've found it makes me less tired and my ears don't pop as frequently. The DVT thing (if true) is just a bonus.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA2MM
Far as I know there is no published data supporting taking one ASA prior to flight to reduce DVT risk. I'd seem more logical to make a recommendation of starting 7-10 days prior for max benefit. Obvisouly those with gastric ulcers, etc should NOT take prophylaxis asparin. The common advice from travel medicine physicians is to stay hydrated, avoid alcohol, get up and walk, and perform isometric exercises in your seat.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 7:27 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Burkey (& doc, pharmacologically, speaking ): I was wondering why you were suddenly referring to taking a United Express flight on Atlantic Southeast Airlines, but then I remembered about acetylsalicilic acid.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Doc .. I NEVER like doing things by halves. so here's the deal. I will pledge to cut out the Asprin, but still keep drinking the French bubbly kindly laid on by Senor Jim goodwin and team. Sounds medically sound to me.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 01-16-2001).]
Old Jan 16, 2001, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aspirin ain't the only alternative. For instance...

Vitamin E might be a good idea if you can't tolerate aspirin, don't want to take, it or want to self-medicate without consulting your doctor

400 - 800iu of vitamin E has a blood-thinning effect.

In the USA you can purchase Ginkgo Biloba and take that. It also has a blood clot inhibiting effect, thought to be partly responsible for its salutary effects on age related cognitive disorders.
Old Jan 16, 2001, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
There seem to be a few medico based FT'ers above, so I'll ask the question. My flights are ALL long haul, often 15 hours a time, so I really have to be conscious of this DVT threat.

I have no internal hassles with 500 mg of asprin. If I took a few Vitamin E as well is that likely to have no extra effect, or might it have any possible side effects? I take E once a week so have no side effect problem with that either it appears.

Thanks. Medicare Australia will take care of your account.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.