Wiki Posts
Search

Douglas DC-3 Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2001, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
Douglas DC-3 Flight

One of my latent ambitions in life has been to fly on an old Douglas DC-3. I am now ready to act out this scenario, but have no idea where to begin. Does anyone know if there are any scheduled airlines in the world that still fly a DC-3 on some desolate route. Or which charter companies might still operate one of these babies?

I'm ready to put my life into some third world pilot's hands....Any help would be appreciated. U.S. or Asia flights preferred.

Steve
Old Jan 13, 2001, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Well you know a secret Santa just sent me a great book (the Vital Guide to Commercial Aircraft and Airliners--the World's Current Major Civil Aircraft) and it has some DC3 information and a whole lot more (really quite a treat):

They picture an Air North plane (presumably a freighter) but state that hundreds of original DC3s survive in commercial service around the world, chiefly as freighters but also in passenger service". I think a lot are used in Africa.

You can e-mail Air North (based in Yukon) at [email protected]. The last time I flew on a DC3 was back in the 1980s in northern Alberta where it was used in commercial aviation between northern points.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-13-2001).]
Old Jan 13, 2001, 5:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Basler does conversions of these and has photos: http://www.baslerturbo.com

You might even get the good old US Forest Service to take you up (official business of course).

The DC3/Dakota Historical Society might have some links on their forum http://www.aircareintl.org/dc3society/index.html . Aircare did a champagne flight recently on a DC3 (California based).

Here is a listing of all known DC3 flights that someone is compiling http://www.centercomp.com/cgi-bin/dc3/flights?9715 --useful and recent.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-13-2001).]
Old Jan 13, 2001, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Several years ago, there was a company that flew sightseeing flights on refurbushed C-47's (DC-3's) from Orlando to Key West and back. Don't know if they are still in business, as this was 6 or 7 years ago, and I'm sorry that I can't help with the company's name, but perhaps someone from Central Florida, or perhaps the Orlando travel website can help you find it, if interested.

bj-21.

------------------
'Tis better to have played and won, then never to have played at all.
Old Jan 14, 2001, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
BlondeBomber,

Thanks so much for those links. I should have no problem finding a flight on a DC-3. I had no idea that there were so many companies offering just what I was looking for.

BJ-21. That was a subsidiary of Virgin Airways, from what I remember.
Old Jan 14, 2001, 6:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Does Otis Spunkmeyer (the cookie company) still do DC3 runs out of OAK? I remember seeing them flying over during Oakland A's games in the past. Can't seem to find a working web site for them.
Old Jan 14, 2001, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
About a month ago I saw a DC3 at Long Beach, CA (LGB) airport.

Do not recall if it was an airliner or cargo transport aircraft or charter plane, but ...... thought I would post it at any rate...
Old Jan 15, 2001, 3:28 am

Old DC-3s are still widely used at the rural airports in Venezuela. Servivensa uses them at least from Cumana. Unfortunately I ended up in crappy old Cessna instead of La Grande Dame...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.