Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelsmith quality items? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2000, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Travelsmith quality items? Any good?

It's the time for their summer sale and I've often wondered if their travel clothing passes muster so to speak.

Is Travelsmith stuff good quality? Does it last?

Specifically I wondered about their hats, such as the raffia sun hat or seagrass sun hat?

Any experiences good or bad?
Old Aug 2, 2000, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Hersey,

My husband and I both have some Travel Smith clothing that we love. The Cool Max shirts are great for traveling as you really can wash them and they are dry on a hanger in the bathroom overnight. Don't have one of their hats.
Old Aug 2, 2000, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I don't know about Travelsmith's goods, but once I got a sun hat from Norm Thompson, which the catalog said could be packed and it would spring back to its shape good as new. Well, it didn't. I still have it, but only wear it around my yard--a big crease across the brim just won't go away.
Old Aug 2, 2000, 11:14 am

Hershey,

I have had mixed results with TravelSmith clothing. The coolmax shirts Punki speaks of are great, and I like my Panama (Ecuador) hat very much - it does spring back when rolled. But I warn you away from the Indispensible dress and anything else made from their Supplex knit material. Even after only a couple of gentle washings, the material pilled and clung to hose and underwear like crazy. T-S did, however, give a full refund on the dress and skirt that I returned.
Old Aug 2, 2000, 10:29 pm

We also have been happy with the packable Panama hats.
Old Aug 4, 2000, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Thanx.
Old Aug 4, 2000, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I own two of their blazers and are very happy with them. I wear them quite a bit when travelling.

If you find yourself in the SFO area, they have an outlet store in Berkley. Selection is hit and miss, but the prices are good. Check http://www.travelsmith.com/generic_t...ategory=-10099

BTW, if you are interested in travel gadgets, Magellans has an outlet store in Santa Barbara.
Old Aug 5, 2000, 7:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

FWIW, those in NYC/NJ metropolitan area-

Travelsmith Warehouse Sale
8/4-8/7/00

Meadowlands
Expo Ctr
355 Plaza Drive
Seacaucus, NJ

FREE Entrance

Supposedly up to 70% off!

BTW- No commissions for me!
Old Aug 6, 2000, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Thinking now that I may just go with the San Francisco Hat Co.

Thanx to all.
Old Aug 7, 2000, 1:39 am

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Have a look at "Tilley Endurables", at www.tilley.com . They make fine travel and leisure clothing, and some interesting features come with them. How about a hat with a brag tag, and insurance policy. Pants
and sports jackets with lots of secure secret pockets for travel. No, I don't work for them, just a very satisfied customer. While on their site, look for the contest for a trip down under.
bj-21
Old Dec 12, 2000, 8:50 am
doc

Indispensable travel gear

This year, looking for ideas for our annual gift guide, we went to the people we know and trust best: ourselves. The editors and writers for this section are a demanding bunch: cynical, road-weary, jaded and cheap, not to mention pretty darn picky. (Sound like real catches, don’t we?) So who better to scope out the confusing world of travel-related gift items? Eight of us divulge the five things that always find a spot in our carry-on bag.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/500215.asp
Old Dec 12, 2000, 9:58 am

Wasn't hershey "found out" to be someone else's handle? (ie, someone posting "on the behalf" of another)
Old Dec 12, 2000, 10:32 am

I have found Magellan's to be very good http://www.magellans.com/
Old Dec 12, 2000, 10:38 am
doc

No, Snowman, although hershey was publicly harassed and accused as many others have before and after them. It was admitted that hershey is a close relative of doc. Thanks for asking!
Old Dec 12, 2000, 8:17 pm

I'm not sure that was the case. None the less, keep it real.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.