Exchanging tickets via travel agents

Old Dec 8, 2000, 6:57 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Does anybody know the answer this?

I have an international ticket purchased on ual.com. I might not be able to us it. As with UA international tickets, I can avoid a change fee if I apply the value of this ticket to a itnerary which has a base fare $1 or more than the original ticket's base fare.

Now the question is this. All business-related travel must be booked thru my corporate travel.

Are travel agents (in this case, my corporate travel) normally allowed to accept another agency-issued tickets (in this case ual.com) and apply the value of the old ticket to a new itinerary?

Reason I'm doing this is because ual.com is having a sale on NYC-LHR. I'm not sure what my travel plans are going to be in the first half of 2001. Now if I don't travel in 2001, I would like to do a couple NYC-LHR mileage runs with this fare sale.

I would therefore like to hedge the risk of not making 1K for 2002 by buying several NYC-LHR tickets right now and if work calls for travel, applied these tickets (without penalty) on those full-fare tickets. The catch, again is that business-related travel must go thru my corporate travel agency and this tactic would involve having my corporate travel agent accepting ual.com-issued tickets. Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2000, 8:13 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Your travel agent might get upset because they don't earn commission on the exchanged tickets value, only on the additional collection. They also might charge a fee.

There should be no problem, as long as the agent is willing to do it.
Old Dec 9, 2000, 12:19 pm

Originally posted by seawolf:
Are travel agents (in this case, my corporate travel) normally allowed to accept another agency-issued tickets (in this case ual.com) and apply the value of the old ticket to a new itinerary?
Travel agents are not allowed to accept another agency-issued ticket. However, UAL.com is not an agency. "Agency" would be defined as any merchant not affiliated with the airline.

As to possible fees ... If you walked in off the street and ask an agent to exchange this for you, you'd probably have to pay a fee. But since your company presumably gives the agency thousands of dollars of business each year, the agent normally would do this for free.

I had a similar situation when an airline gave me several hundred dollars in vouchers for a complaint. Our corporate agent processed the purchase of tickets with the vouchers without charging a fee.

It just depends what kind of relationship you have with the agent.
Old Dec 9, 2000, 12:23 pm

My agency won't touch a ticket that it didn't issue.
Old Dec 10, 2000, 10:48 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
That's what I was thinking Family flyer. My agent processed UA travel credits without a problem. The way they did it was exchanging the "travel credit" for the new ticket and doing an additional collection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.