Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing an Ireland Tour, who to pick?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2000, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Choosing an Ireland Tour, who to pick?

I figured that most of the folks here at are least decently well traveled so I figured I would ask if anyone knew the best tour company to choose for a guided tour of Ireland in the spring next year.

I have seen many different companies that all look to offer the same thing. Trafalgar Tours was the one I found first but from reading their bulletin board they seem to have more the their share of dissatisfied customers. I also say tours from Collette tours and Insight tours. They all offer 10-12 day tours around Ireland that don't really seem perceptibly different.

So my question is which tour companies have any of you had good luck with? Who would you suggest I have a look at to plan a guided tour to Ireland or even Europe in general.

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

Gary

[This message has been edited by GAndraza (edited 12-06-2000).]
Old Dec 6, 2000, 11:18 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
we went with TAUCK tours two years ago, one of the best experiences we had...
(TAUCK was a bit pricey, but well worth it)
Old Dec 7, 2000, 7:49 am

O'Mara Travel, Dublin, custom-designs all of my Ireland tours (four in the past year alone). I couldn't be happier. E-mail [email protected].
Old Dec 9, 2000, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
If you really must be on the cattle bus, I guess the big operators are all reputable. But, I would recommend flying in and out of Dublin and purchasing an Irish Rail Rambler Pass for 'x' days and going on your own. Look at a Froemmer's or a travel company brochure to help you decide where you want to go and what you want to see. If you go in the summer, make sure you avoid the town that is having their annual fest on any given day. When you hit each place getting B&B accommodations is very easy. From Limerick you take a bus to Blarney Castle. Waterford has a great waterfront and a great pub in the main hotel on the front street. Absolutely do not miss taking the ferry to the Aran Islands, at least for a day and an overnight. The one 'tour' I recommend is the Ring of Kerry trip. Many options and well worth the cost, including horse or cart and boat ride to where the bus picks you up at the end.

One thought that sticks in my mind about my trip was that everytime we met people on a tour bus they seemed to be complaining about the pace and really wanted to slow down and just do nothing. We watched the 90 World Cup in Waterford and there was a busload unloading at around 7 pm and they were set to leave at 7 am the next morning. They were all commenting on how nice it would be to spend more time in one place.
Old Dec 9, 2000, 8:56 pm

Programs: NW/DL/CO/HH/PC
Check out CIE Tours----Irish Republic owned---local folks that know the turf. If you're lucky you might get Tommy O'Reilley as guide/driver----
Old Dec 9, 2000, 9:38 pm

We used CIE tours two summers ago when we went to Ireland. We took an 8 day loop from Shannon to Killarney to Dublin and then Galway. The hotels were great (ie...Dromoland Castle, the Killarney Park Hotel, Berkeley Court Hotel in Dublin, and Ashford Castle). Our guide, Mick gave us a great lesson on Irish history, as well as on the points of interest.

I don't recall what the price was, but I can probably find the brochures. There were several options...the one we picked was a little less expensive than Tauck. Anyway, I've taken several tours through Ireland and this was by far the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.