Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From SNA to LAX: Fly or Drive?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

From SNA to LAX: Fly or Drive?

My father will be doing business in the Santa Ana area (I don't know the area, but I think it is called Irvine) and will be flying out of LAX to a British Airways flight.

What is the best way between the two points? I think that he will only be five minutes from SNA, and I have no idea how far a drive it is to LAX at rush hour (I'd guess around 4 or 5 pm).

SO what is the best option: suffer the drive to LAX (please give details on time!) or fly from SNA to LAX on a United Express flight, and connect to the said British Airways flight??

If the latter, how are the transfers from UA Express to BA? And do the SNA-LAX hops run on time!

Thanks!!!!
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Most likely, the extra UA segment from LAX to SNA won't cost any more (if you haven't purchased the ticket yet). THe flying time is about 15 minutes vs perhaps 1.5+ hours in the car at rush hours
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:47 pm

Actually, according to my quick fare check, flying to SNA via LAX costs less than just LAX. It's like doing a hidden-city ticket without actually hiding!

Here's what I found:
13SEP LHR-BA-LAX
13SEP LAX-UA-SNA
20SEP SNA-UA-LAX
20SEP LAX-BA-LHR
$555.26

13SEP LHR-BA-LAX
20SEP LAX-BA-LHR
$616.26 or $679.26
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:50 pm

For flexibility and modest time-savings, I always drive.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I've done both, and I prfer to fly. Its another 500 miles for 15 minutes, and saves the hassle of traffic on the 405.

My office is right by SNA, and its taken me full 2 hours to drive to LAX at 6pm. However, on a particular weekend I dropped off my fiance at SNA, drove to LAX (30 minutes, no traffic) and beat her by 10 minutes, enough to put her on the volunteer list for the oversold connection.

One last thing, UX arrives at the satellite terminal at LAX, so you'll need to take the shuttle bus to terminal 7, then head to the curb and take the A bus to the Tom Bradley terminal for BA. Alternatively, you can walk from terminal 7 to the interantional terminal by heading in the direction of terminal 6. Use the departure level and make sure you have a cart and plenty of time.

[This message has been edited by Indurain (edited 08-09-2000).]
Old Aug 9, 2000, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

I agree with Indurain. Fly if you are going at rush hour. But note the flights are dealyed more than 50% of the time. However, at worst the SNA crew will give you a taxi voucher to take you to LAX and the taxi gets to use the carpool lane which saves a lot of time. Hovever, the LAX ground crew will not provide a taxi to SNA (only Shuttle service). If it's Saturday at 8:00 AM, drive. It takes 40 minutes or so at that time.

[This message has been edited by auh2o (edited 08-09-2000).]
Old Aug 10, 2000, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your father does decide to "Express" it, you might recommend to him to get a window seat on the right hand side. He'll likely enjoy a specatular view of the Orange and Los Angeles County coastlines on his way to LAX.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-10-2000).]
Old Aug 10, 2000, 2:31 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
beside my LH ZRH-FRA segment the LAX-SNA segment is my record-flight segment (and, not always, but in most cases included in my transatlantic ticket for free).

And, if credited to my LH miles&more account I even get 1'000 miles as status miles (the minimum for eco flights).

SNA RCC is very nice and very personnel (if, from time to time, an Express flight seems to become late for a LAX-connection, they offer me a free Limousine alternative)

SNA is very clean, with much day light (windows).

SNA: rented cars are easy/very-fast to 'board' and to return (may be a 150 yard walk from the baggage-area).

And traffic/parking around SNA is not a mess as in LAX.

SNA = Orange County Airport = John Wayne Airport.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 1:04 pm

Rudi, something is not right!

How is it possible that you offer such accurate, thorough and detailed SNA information and reside 5939 miles away and I am not able to do so from just 8.2 miles away??? Must be that great life you and Gisela are living!

From ZRH (47°17'N 08°20'E)
To SNA (33°40'32"N 117°52'06"W)
5939 miles

From Fountain Valley, California USA
To SNA (33°40'32"N 117°52'06"W)
8.2 miles (air miles, even less)
Old Aug 10, 2000, 1:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
MRLIMO: as you showed me - you don't need a Hertz-never lost (navigation system) driving around SNA - I do!

Thnak you for that unforgettable private Cadillac-service from/to SNA and FlyerTalk meeting places
Old Aug 10, 2000, 2:03 pm

Programs: Vanishing
As so many others have said: FLY!

If your dad is not used to the L.A. traffic, he is in for a real surprise after he checks out the car at LAX! That freeway is not for the beginner (I know - it was my first U.S. rental car and my first drive in the U.S. in 1980 when I got here )

The price is often negative and the miles are positive Although not like in the good ol' days when Delta's minimum whas 1,000 miles. A trip from SNA added much needed basis to the Medallion qualification. I think my best trip was Orange County to Santa Barbara: 8,000 miles with the bonus! Those days are unfortunately over now.

/Pete
Old Aug 10, 2000, 6:49 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I drove in LA for 30 years. Now I hate to go there for a day to see my acct. I think a lot of drivers from the east have moved into LA. No consideration and a lot of attitude.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 6:58 pm

And I say "good riddance"!
Old Aug 10, 2000, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
If it costs no more, I also say FLY!! You even get a "miniature" bottle of H20 en route!!
FF miles, miles, miles and less hassle for sure. I travel the 405N every day from Huntington Beach to Redondo Beach around 4PM and there has not been any traffic since I moved here last December (knock on wood!). However, one never knows and the traffic just around LAX might be dreadful and hectic.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Seat 9C for the view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.