Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winair and Long Beach Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Winair and Long Beach Airport

A friend recently mentioned Winair, an airline he saw at LGB Airport a while back. I've never heard of this airline, and was wondering if someone, such as one of our Long Beach locals (stimpy and newself IIRC), could fill me in.

I have heard of Allegiant Air, who IIRC flew only DC-9s into said airport.

On the same topic, what's up at LGB? Do they have any commercial air service? Of the majors, I think AA was the only one to fly into LGB, and of that just MD-80s to OHare seasonally.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:15 pm

LGB has regularly scheduled flights on AA and HP as well as Allegiant Air. Not much is happening in Long Beach but the flights to Dallas and Phoenix could possibly be the best way to go to get to the LA area to avoid traffic jams at LAX. Winair flew out of LGB last year but quit after some problems. It only flew to SLC and SMF from here.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:31 pm

Apparently WinAir is out of business: (dated 11/15/1999)
http://www.usatoday.com/life/travel/bt001.htm

AA flies to ORD twice daily M-F and once on Sat/Sun, and to DFW four times daily M-F and twice daily Sat/Sun.

America West also flies five times daily to PHX.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:34 pm

Thanks for the info, milesforyourmoma. I started typing first while doing some LGB research. I'm surprised the USA Today link still works.

I haven't been to LGB, but my AA non-revving mother-in-law has. She said it's a nice little airport, but it's a long way to Lancaster. I plan on flying to LAX and taking the train to Lancaster next time I go there. Plus, LAX is cheaper than LGB when you actually buy a ticket

[This message has been edited by JSrombough (edited 08-09-2000).]
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
If you are going to Lancaster then Burbank would be a better way to go. Or if you are lucky enough to get a ride on the space shuttle, they land at Edwards AFB from time to time. Milesforyourmama is right regarding LGB, as WinAir is gone but we still have AA, HP, & Alergant Air which is now starting service to Lake Tahoe.
Old Aug 9, 2000, 7:56 pm

newself, I've chosen LAX over BUR because I want to stop in downtown for a day on the way back from Lancaster to Dallas. Also, the BUR runway is a little scary; and, the rapid ascent after takeoff may have caused my wife's major headache the last time we flew out of BUR. And, I just might take up AA's or Legend's offer of first class service out of DAL.

[This message has been edited by JSrombough (edited 08-09-2000).]
Old Aug 9, 2000, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I took WinAir once from LGB to OAK, it was a nice little startup with a lot of potential. Sadly it didn't last 6 months when they couldn't secure further funding. The flights were pretty full, and they flew some relatively new 737s. Long term parking is across the street from the terminal!

LGB is a nice airport, with a 10,000 ft runway to support the C-17 and 717 production. Lots of student activities too. Wish there were more flights there.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 10:28 am

AA will soon end its money losing LGB-ORD route. They announced it about a month ago. Believe it ends on the last day of the summer schedule. AA had like $177 r/t specials on their webite for the route for dates into 2001. Within a couple of weeks after discovering this, they announced they were ending service on the route, saying the revenue produced on the route didn't justify continuing to provide it.

As for future air service, the mgmt of LGB and the surrounding neighbors brokered a deal whereby a fairly low level of slots would be made available for commercial service. I'm fairly certain the number is below 100, takeoff and landing slots combined. In fact, I think when Winair was in existence, they, along with AA and HP, had almost all available slots tied up between them. Therefore, I wouldn't expect much more service than is presently available there.

If you're interested in learning more about LGB, here's their link: http://www.lgb.org/
Old Aug 10, 2000, 11:40 am

Never had a chance or need to try WinAir, although I always enjoy LGB. I'm loyal to HP, need to maintain my status. A visit to LGB is like turning back the hands of time. The parking is so convenient and priced right, too. Hometown service is the rule, rather than the exception. Just a few short steps to anywhere on the premises, and that includes the parking lots. Even the bar has personality! Oh, did someone say Jack Daniels?
Old Aug 10, 2000, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I took Winair between LGB and OAK many times. They were great, but never got full FAA certification and never got in the reservation system. So the flights were mostly empty.

The AA LGB-ORD flights were at the worst times. No one wants to fly to ORD at 6AM or 11PM so the flights were empty. If they flew mid-day, I would have taken them many times.

I always do AA between LGB and DFW and occasionally take HP to PHX and beyond. LGB is a great airport.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I should have said I've also taken Allegiant (G4) to LAS and back in 1st class. They are quite nice and the flights are full.
Old Aug 10, 2000, 2:59 pm

Programs: Vanishing
Originally posted by MRLIMO:
...A visit to LGB is like turning back the hands of time...
You are sooo right about the step back in time. I hadn't been to LGB for quite some years and I was very happy to see that the airport hasn't change that much since I was there last. The outside baggage claim area, the stairs to get on to the planes, the whole decor with those wonderful 20's or 30's style signs, etc.

The only major difference I saw was that the indoor viewing area is now a restaurant. That's nice, you can have breakfast and watch the planes at the same time. A real nice airport indeed. And you can see an aircraft manufacturer's facility as well. How many airports can brag with that?

The only thing I don't like is the AAmerican price policy. I can't help always thinking that they keep their prices rediculously low to force out the competition. What AtlMan mentioned about shutting down the money loosing ORD service fits in that picture. With no competition ot ORD, there is no reason for them to continue that sgement. I bet you a whole dime that if there is ever a carrier that offers connections to Chicago, you will see low fare AA flights again.

/Pete

[This message has been edited by L-1011 (edited 08-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by L-1011 (edited 08-10-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.