Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Endorsing business class ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2000, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Endorsing business class ticket

Here's my scenario: Travelling EWR to FRA in late July on an Air France ticket. Will be flying on a CO plane(via codeshare) from EWR-CDG(BusinessFirst), then connecting on an Air France plane from CDG-FRA(Business). My ticket is an Air France "D" class ticket. CO does not offer the same fare as AF in this market. The CO fare is much higher than the AF fare.

What I'd like to do is, on the day of departure, endorse over my ticket to CO and travel on CO's nonstop flight from EWR-FRA. I've checked and AF does not codeshare on the EWR-FRA.

Will CO accept an endorsement of my unrestrcited AF "D" class ticket for travel on the CO EWR-FRA nonstop? Will I need AF to endorse the ticket?

I'd really appreciate any tips that might help this scheme work. I little hassel will be worth it to me to avoid a connection at CDG.

Old Jul 1, 2000, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
There are several different issues you raise here. First, any ticket that is fully refundable and changeable, including the business-first class ticket you describe, is essentially like a voucher and does not need to be endorsed by the issuing carrier. It can be accepted on face value by any other carrier. Only a nonrefundable ticket needs to be endorsed in order to be accepted by another carrier. If there is a difference in fare between the two carriers, it would be at the discretion of the CO airport personnel whether to accept the AF ticket directly or charge you the difference between the AF and CO fares.

Second, even if an endorsement were required, why would Air France endorse a ticket over to Continental if the Air France flights were operating normally? Endorsement is usually only done when the issuing carrier's flight is cancelled or severely delayed and the carrier is willing to let you use their ticket on another carrier.

Third, I am wondering how much you paid for the AF ticket? In the fare schedule I checked, there was only about a $200 difference between AF and CO between EWR and FRA.

Fourth, how can you be sure that there will be space at the last minute on the CO nonstop?

If I am correct about the fare difference, it would seem more prudent to just buy the ticket on the Continental nonstop.
Old Jul 2, 2000, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts Jeff.

Actually the cost savings is quite significant. I'm booked on an Air France ticket in D class for $1750 from LAX-BCN. CO's fare is this market is $2975. I am taking advantage of a free stopover in FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.