Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Change in duty free rules for cigarettes?

Old May 19, 2000, 11:47 am
Original Poster

On my recent flight (Tuesday) LHR-ORD on AA, I did what I have always done and ordered 2 cartons of Marlboro Lights from duty free. "Sorry" says the FA, you're no longer allowed to import Marlboro's as they are made in the US. You can buy Benson & Hedges though." What?? When did this happen? Where is it posted? Well, she didn't know any of that. Just that I couldn't have any Marlboro's because they were manufactured in the states but B&H were UK made so I could buy those.

So what's the scoop, folks? Was she telling the truth? Or just misleading me so that the FAs could stock up on the cheap smokes?

Cheers,

'toad
Old May 19, 2000, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my last trips to both Amsterdam and Tokyo in March and April cigaretts were not available at all duty free on the planes (UA). They said cigaretts were not eligible for duty free anymore due to a change in U.S. regulations.
Old May 19, 2000, 12:11 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sounds like a mistake!

I know you don't need to hear it, but...

you could quit!!!

Just think of all the FREE tks/upgrades you could manage with all the extra cash too!!!
Old May 19, 2000, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

No problems getting them on the way over. Also, would have been able to buy them in the duty free at the airport. But I was trying to save an extra 2 bux. That'll teach me.

BTW, the US customs form still says that you can bring 200 cigs into the US. Also, no notice/warning in the duty free catalog.

Yes, Doc, I know I could quit. But what would be the point in quitting now? Think of all of the things I'll be able to give up in order to prolong my life (when I'm older). Conversely, the health nuts out there will be SOL when the doc tells them they've only so long to live. They'll have nothing to give up and will be stuck with the verdict.

Cheers,

'toad
Old May 19, 2000, 1:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Someone overseas asked me to get some smokes: could anyone tell this nonsmoker where the cheapest places to buy them are - of these choices: store in Mass., store in Calif., duty-free at LAX, aboard the plane?
Old May 19, 2000, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Usually cheapest on the plane. Next would be duty free shop. Then Mass and finally, dead-...-last would be CA. Just wait until they start taxing Californians' bean curds & tofu the same as they do cigarettes in CA (or the UK for that matter) and you will see rioting in the streets.

Cheers,

'toad
Old May 19, 2000, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No fear Doc. I don't smoke, I just heard the announcements when UA was pushing duty free on the flights.
Old May 19, 2000, 4:08 pm

There is a new US law now on the books that says you can't import US made cigaretts back into the US. You can buy them on your outbound becuase you are leaving the US. The US customs service says US cigaretts are now the largest item they confiscate from inbound flights.

The FA that refused to sell you US made cigaretts was doing you a favor. If you don't like this rule, write your rep in DC
Old May 19, 2000, 5:55 pm
Original Member

I think this may have something to do with smuggling and reimport into Canada (to bypass their high taxes)...
Old May 19, 2000, 10:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Thanks, 'toad. Great news for me, as I have a leftover $20 coupon for duty-free.
-
Nother question that shows my absolute ignorance on the subject. The request (from Oz) was for Pall Mall filters: I haven't seen ads for that brand in decades and was wondering if they're still being manufactured and would be available on the plane. If no, what are similar brands?

------------------
Cheers
Michael *G
Old May 21, 2000, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

They still make Pall Mall filters, but I doubt you'll find them on the plane. Best bet is to check the (large store) duty-free at the airport. Just wander through the next time you have a flight and check out the selection & price. Usually the plane only carries the most popular brands (i.e., Marlboro, Benson & Hedges).

Cheers,

'toad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.