Search

9 hours in TPE

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2000, 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
9 hours in TPE

My 12-hour layover in NRT got changed to a 9-hour layover at TPE. Any suggestions on what to do around TPE? I'm not sure if I want to make the trek into the city. Are there any day rooms at TPE? Thanks.
Old May 14, 2000, 9:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Personally, assuming you are there during the right hours, I would visit the museum. My recollection is that they say that only 5% of the collection is on display at any given time because the total collection is so extensive.
Old May 14, 2000, 9:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
If you're referring to the Palace Museum, it's worthwhile as a destination: it is a half hour north of the city, whereas CKS is a half hour west. Might be worth the taxi fare, though, as it has the best collections of Chinese painting and porcelain I've seen. Also good bronze ware and jade exhibits. The first time I went there I spent 2 full days; this last time I spent 1/2 a day, as I just looked for changed exhibits. You could spend your entire time in the treasure box and jade exhibits (or any number of others). Remember to have dim sum in the cafe on the top floor.

------------------
Cheers
Michael *G
Old May 15, 2000, 6:54 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
If your layover is at night, get a taste of the REAL Taiwan by going to a night market (yue-shi). I recommend the Shi-Lin night market. It is probably 45-60 minutes from the airport, down the hill from the famous Grand Hotel (Yuan-Shan Da Fan Dien). You could also do the more touristy Snake Alley night market.

Once there, just soak in the masses and know what it's really like to be in a crowd. Then try the food... go ahead, there's nothing to be afraid of. Try the pungent tofu (tso do fu), and meat balls (bah-oan, that one's Taiwanese, the rest of my poor transliterations are Mandarin). And shaved ice... yummy shaved ice!!! Then, bargain for good deals on merchanise ranging from clothing to (not necessarily legal) CDs and DVDs...

Or go to the museum I suppose and see history and art and all that...
Old May 15, 2000, 10:47 pm

All the ideas posted are good. I'd suggest trying to get on an EVA Air bus to get in the city/back or the AIRBUS. The new MRT system makes it very easy to get around the city. What times will you be arriving/departing TPE? Arriving at 10PM is hell...the customs/immigration hall is packed. About the only thing amusing in the airport besides spotting is reading the english on the drink vending machines..:-)
Old May 16, 2000, 7:00 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be in TPE from 1355 to 2255.
Old May 18, 2000, 4:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Seawolf

What day is your layover? I'll be up in Taipei tomorrow 5/19 staying at the Hilton for 1 night and then flying out on UA to SFO on Saturday the 20th at 12:20p.m. Let me know where and when you'll be there OK.

Cheers Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott the flier (edited 05-18-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.