Wiki Posts
Search

Car Rental Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2000, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Car Rental Advice Please

Ok...more on the BOS trip.

I narrowed the choices down to three car rental companies- Avis, Hertz, and Alamo. Here is what I'm debating, and I hop you guys can give me some suggestions-

Mid-Size Cars

Alamo- $242.71 with Costco Discount (more vacationer/family oriented, possibly less professional with their service IMO) and I have Quicksilver

Hertz- $244.94 with AAA Discount (more reliable and professional IMO)

Hertz- $271.19 with AAA Discount and NEVERLOST (From what I hear, even confirmed NEVERLOST res. may not be fulfilled; I look forward to this service, but am afraid that they won't have it, and I'll have to make maps for the trip)

Avis- $245.46 with Costco discount and either a space-available upgrade or $15 off (another more "professional" choice)

Full-Size Car

Hertz- $258.76 w/AAA disc. (pretty small price for an upgrade IMO)
Hertz- $285.01 w/AAA disc. and NVLST

So which would be the best choice? The longest trip would probably be 1-2 hrs...

Thanks again..

a330300

[This message has been edited by a330300 (edited 05-17-2000).]
Old May 17, 2000, 12:12 am
Original Member

My car rental preference would be with the car rental company which I had express service with. I hate waiting in lines and like to have my car ready and waiting.

Unless there was a preference with specific line of cars such as...Hertz uses Ford cars and Avis uses GM cars. Either Hertz or Avis are good choices.

The car size depends on whether I plan on travelling alot or need the room. If neither were needed, the midsize would be fine.
Old May 17, 2000, 8:40 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
if you are going to use alamo you might want to call upthe BOS station and ask what kind of mid size / full size cars they have b/c it does vary somewhat. if they have the Lumina and Malibu as the options I would recommend Hertz. The Lumina is a horrible car for even a 1/2 hour drive. and the Malibu is a sham of a full size car.

With Hertz you are pretty much sure to get a Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable.

SO opt for the full size with hertz and go with Neverlost - it does actually work well - if you get it

Old May 17, 2000, 8:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I always get my NeverLost (*if* it is a location which has that service - many don't). Even when I am in a city where I know the directions I think NeverLost is a wonderful feature. (They had some serious design mistakes in Version 2, but those have now been rectified.)
Old May 17, 2000, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I am very anti-Alamo, although it has been several years since I rented from them. From the fine-tooth-comb inspections when returning cars in some locales, to rates not being honored without a fight, to lying agents who are under pressure to "upgrade you", and so on, I absolutely will not rent from them, unless perhaps its the only car in town. The last time, the agent asked if I wanted a larger car... I said "only if you want to do it at the same price as my reservation". I also had some coupons I was using. In fact, he charged me $25 a day more (2 day rental) for a 1 class upgrade, something that would have been $3 at most if I had simply reserved a larger car. When returning the car, his manager essentially called me a liar, that the "agent told me" it would be the same price because I was using the coupon ($25), which was a heap-o-....

This was the final of a string of bad alamo experiences. On another occasion, when the auto transmission kept self-shifting from drive to neutral, and on the way back to return it, the rear-view mirror fell off and landed on my foot, they wanted to charge me for the gas I had not "filled up" (I had barely driven the car.)

I gladly pay a bit more for Hertz, and my occasional Avis experience has been fine.
Old May 17, 2000, 9:59 am

I don't know how well "Neverlost" would work in Boston. The place just defies navigation.

If you're heading up to Peabody (pronounced "p-b-d" without pausing in the local vernacular), then you want to take 1A North out of Logan and avoid the Big Pig... I mean Big Dig. $1.1b over budget and counting! And when they're done - it'll be a PARK! Woo hoo!

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old May 17, 2000, 11:10 am
T3

The last time in MCO I rented from Hertz - express service and all that. They upgraded me to a car with "never-lost". That was the first time I tried it. I certainly found it useful. Up to now, and probably for most trips still, I use my laptop with a GPS. The program, Street Atlas USA, also has voice prompts. I can work on my route in the hotel room and find all the locations I want ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.