FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Compensation for bad hotel stay. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/286467-compensation-bad-hotel-stay.html)

Jon Toner Mar 19, 2000 9:02 pm

Thought folks would like to know how things turned out.

During breakfast with the GM, my wife mentioned she did not consider a complimentary breakfast sufficient.

Later that day, they agreed to extent her mom's stay (her dad's recovery in the hospital took a few extra days).

They extended her stay by 3 days, no charge.

Each day, a hand-written note from the GM was slipped under her door. She also received some sort of complimentary gift (fresh strawberries were most welcome).

So in the end, the Wyndham did a very good job of turning a bad situation into a good one. Kudos to the staff at Wyndham, Burlington (MA).

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

doc Mar 20, 2000 5:56 am

Great to hear, Jon.

All's well that ends well.

Sorry to have missed you in NYC at Catmans "DO!"

dg1 Mar 20, 2000 10:12 am

FYI, In hundreds of Marriott reservations, it seems they will try to guarantee bed type and smoking preference. Most of the time I do get the guarantee, sometimes on full hotels or next day bookings I get it 'on-request'.

Jon Toner Mar 20, 2000 10:31 am

Doc,

Sorry I couldn't make the DO. Caitlin turned the big oh-five on Monday and we had her party on Sunday.

The original plan was to get all prep work done by noon on Saturday so I could drive down and return late Sat. night/early Sun. morning.

Will try for the next one local to the Northeast.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

doc Mar 20, 2000 12:16 pm

As dg1 sates, I've generally been able to confirm King, NS, especially at Marriott's over the years. Once in SLC, when my confirmed King was subsequently not available and the hotel was "full to the gills", the front desk agent first checked with the manager and they simply upgraded me to a previously unavailable room on the Executive/Concierge Floor, gratis!

No problem, Jon. Hopefully the party went off well and Caitlins happy about it I'm sure! We'll get to meet sometime soon.

Nanook Mar 21, 2000 11:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your family's bad experience. Sounds a bit like what we went through at the Wyndham Miami Airport at Super Bowl in 1999.
Unfortunately, hotel desk clerks and security people aren't the highest paid people in the world. Sometimes they're not even empowered to go the extra mile, and that comes straight down from the top. If they have management who care and who are around, then that shouldn't happen.
You should get something. I know if the Wyndham Miami Aiport offered me a free night, they could keep it. I hope never to return there again. That's why I didn't complain to anyone but the clerk who checked us out. Besides it was Super Bowl time and all of Miami was crazy.