Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Good, cheap hotel in Key West 3/24-25??

Old Feb 14, 2000, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

Any suggestions for hotels under $150 in Key West? The big guns are mucho expensive this time of year. I am thinking of trying Priceline for the first time. Any experience with that? My husband is talking Hampton Inn. I dream of Hyatt....

[This message has been edited by Karen2 (edited 02-14-2000).]
Old Feb 14, 2000, 1:48 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Priceline is pretty good for hotels ... the only problem is that Key West is one big zone in Priceline ... of course if you bid on a three star you'll likely end up towards downtown (the only 3 star hotel that is not towards downtown would be the Sheraton Suites near Smathers Beach).

Avoid the Hampton Inn! My family stayed there a few months ago ... it's way overpriced and the location just plain sucks (On North Roosevelt Blvd ... I actually used to live just down the street from it right next to the HoJo's ... which might not even be a HoJo's anymore ...).
Old Feb 14, 2000, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Try the Island City House.

It's a nice property in a good location (re: Duval St) and should be able to get you in for <$150.

While there, don't forget to have a meal at Blue Heaven. A very funky restaurant (with chickens under foot), but they have the best Jerk Chicken that I have ever tasted.

Old Feb 15, 2000, 12:58 am
Original Poster

I do love jerk chicken! Thanks for the tip!

What is the Sheraton like? I can get 2 nights free on an award. I gather that it is across the street from Smathers Beach.
Old Feb 15, 2000, 11:05 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Karen2,

If you don't mind losing out on hotel points, I stayed at a great B&B off Duval St. -- Courtney's Place. It's a group of historic cottages plus a few single rooms with bath around a central courtyard. When I was there they included a beach/pool pass to the Reach Resort. Bike rental is also available and everything of interest is within walking distance. Assuming the area code hasn't changed, the phone or fax is (305) 294-3480. Good luck!
Old Feb 15, 2000, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Karen,

I really don't recommend any place that is not within staggering distance of Duval St.

KW has strict laws on DUI and the cops are tough about enforcing it. Be aware that DUI on a moped is treated the same as DUI in a car. They also a have local misdemeanor ordinance for DUI on a bicycle.

I've stayed at the Island City House, Casa Marina, the Hilton and the Pier House. IMHO, the Pier House is the nicest, but tres expensive this time of year. Casa Marina is nice and the Hilton is OK.
Old Feb 15, 2000, 2:09 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I actually have never seen the Sheraton, it was built since I was last in Key West, but I know where it is, that's about it
Old Feb 16, 2000, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Bill, they are all tres cher this time of year. Or sold out. A typical quote of the resort chains was $400/night. No discounts of any type allowed (except the mysterious Travel Club).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.