Wiki Posts
Search

Those Pesky Old Hotel Surcharges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2000, 6:28 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Those Pesky Old Hotel Surcharges

Check out Wednesday's New York Times Business section, p. C6 (or find it on the Internet site: sorry I don't know the link.)

Good article on some hotels like the Pointe Hilton South Mountain Resort in Phoenix imposing an $8 Flat fee covering everything from the phone calls to using the Health club and getting your daily issue of "USA Today."

Curious to see how you all feel about this.

I'd like to know if the top tier hotel program members are being charged.

Personally, I think this and all fees should be waved, considering all the business we give them. Eight dollars doesn't seem like a lot BUT it is still a fee in any form.

Old Feb 9, 2000, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

try it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/library/trave.../bt000209.html
Old Feb 9, 2000, 9:07 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Recently at a Westin I (Starwood Gold) was charged a flat fee for unlimited local calls, even though I had made no local calls. They took out the charge when I pointed this out to them.

Standard procedure with newspapers is that they are included in your room rate, but you can get a discount (around 50 cents) if you tell them you will not be needing the newspaper.
Old Feb 9, 2000, 8:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
What am I missing here, Catman? I thought newspapers and use of the fitness room were free for HHonors elite members. Is this new?

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 02-09-2000).]
Old Feb 9, 2000, 11:00 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I thought that too essxjay, because I was never charged for using the fitness facilities as a Hilton GOLD.

Maybe it's because the properties mentioned here are resorts?

Again, if you earn elite status with a frequent guest program they should wave ALL FEES whether you take a dip in the pool or gab on the phone for one hour.
Old Feb 10, 2000, 5:33 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I read somewhere about a property that had installed meters on the toilet, tv, light switch, radio, telephone and mattress. Every time one of these was used they charged you. The room itself was only $1.00, but the surcharges for a one night stay added up to $875.00

The guest tried to have the charges removed but the charge removal fee imposed at the front desk was too high to make it worth the effort

TW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.