Need Japan travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2000, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Need Japan travel advice

I need to travel from Nagano to Kyoto on a Sunday. I see a few options.

1. Take the train to HND, fly to KIX and cab it to Kyoto.

2. Take the train to Tokyo central and change to a Kyoto train.

3. Rent a car and wander around the country til I find Kyoto (yes I know most of the signs are in Kanji.)

I haven't done any of these so I'd appreciate any tips from someone who has.

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 01-24-2000).]
Old Jan 24, 2000, 5:01 pm

Believe it or not, there is a train that goes direct from Nagano to Kyoto.
The Limited Express SHINANO 18 leaves Nagano 13:42 and arrives Kyoto at 18:19.
It should cost around 9,200yen with the seat reservation. There seems to be seats
available for this Sunday. Please check with the nearest JR counter.

If you want to get there faster, you can take the SHINANO to Nagoya and take
the Shinkansen to Kyoto. It will save you twenty minutes.

Personally I'd avoid the itinerary N. 1. It may get you a few miles but I don't want
to imagine to do this with some luggage.... Not worth the hassle.

Good luck to you if you choose the car rental. There is a highway all along from
Nagano to Kyoto. But you are already warned about the Kanji signs... so have fun ;-)

Old Jan 24, 2000, 7:54 pm

As aleph08 suggested, taking a train from Nagano to Kyoto is the best way to get there.
I do not know which part of Kyoto you are visiting, but the central city of Kyoto is notorious for congestion.
The road width is smaller than that of U.S.
(But we Japanese is smaller and shorter than american, so, it's OK to drive in Japan for us but not for American!! )
Many bicycles and mopeds are driving on the street.
Besides, they drive on the right side of the street.
Driving a car in Japan could be the most exciting, and the least expected activiy.

Tip: Carry a pan and a piece of paper (toilet paper as well) all the time, so that you can write down where you wanna go (or what you wanna do) when you ask Japanese for direction.

Good Luck
Old Jan 25, 2000, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I've been to Tokyo and Nagano before so I know the situation there. This will be my first time in Kyoto. I'll be at the Takaragaike Prince Hotel near the convention center.

I have no problem driving on the left side of the road as I've done it plenty of times in England, South Africa and Australia. And they have small cars in Europe too. But I guess I'll try driving in Japan some other time since I'll be on a bit of a tight schedule.

And yes, I have in the past had to draw a mug of beer on a cocktail napkin to express my desire for a beer.
Old Jan 26, 2000, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
It sounds like you are now covered. But, have a great time Stimpy! I went to Nagano, Kyoto, and Tokyo (all three) last year, skiing.

If you get to go on the Asama train from Nagano to Tokyo, you'll love it. I did that last year at speeds approaching 160 mph.
Old Jan 26, 2000, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes I went on the Tokyo-Nagano Asama last year at this time for the Olympics. But for some reason they wouldn't let me on the slopes at that time.

So now I'm going back to try some of those Olympic runs. I'm going to Nagano with no plans, so any tips on which hotel's/lodges and runs are the best would be appreciated.

I haven't had a chance to search for Japanese skiing web sites so if anyone knows of one, please drop me a hint.
Old Jan 27, 2000, 3:51 am
Original Member

Consider using a Japan Railways Rail Pass - they can save you a lot of mony with only a few trips.

cheers peter
Old Jan 27, 2000, 8:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Stimpy

Try the Metropolitan Hotel which is right outside the train station or there is also a Holiday Inn Express a little farther away. I stayed at the Met in Dec and it was very nice.

PS: Bring lots of cash as the Railways do NOT take credit cards!

Cheers Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott the flier (edited 01-27-2000).]
Old Jan 27, 2000, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I already have a 14-day JR East Green pass. I used it everywhere last time. Even the subways! It was great for sliding past those long lines.
Old Jan 27, 2000, 1:14 pm

Sorry to butt in, but just wanted to put in my two cents' worth.

Scott the flier, the JR system does accept credit cards, but only at certain ticket windows/counters, and not at all stations. The major ones do, but again, you have to line up at the specific window that shows the credit card signs. Generally, this is a pain, so I always go cash.

Stimpy, I'm sure you used the JR East Pass for trains that went underground. The "subways" as a rule do not accept JR passes, as these are usually run by either a government corporation or metropolitan authority, not JR. None of the subways in Tokyo accept the JR passes, neither do they in Osaka and Kyoto. Some JR trains go into subway lines, especially around Tokyo, and in that case you can use the JR pass to get on, but are supposed to fare-adjust on the other end, where it is run by the non-JR subway authority. Station employees are often afraid to bother non-Japanese, so they may not stop you as you come out with a JR pass in hand.
Old Jan 27, 2000, 1:31 pm

Stimpy, maybe this was a typo, but you said you have a JR 'East' Green Pass. Are you sure this is not the Japan Rail Green Pass? If you have a JR East pass, you cannot travel to Kyoto with it, since Kyoto is a JR West territory, and the passes issued by other JR group companies are not accepted (except, of course, the Japan Rail Pass). Actually, you can use the East pass until you hit the border of JR East and West, but after that you will have to cough up your own money (Nagano is in JR East). Incidentally, the Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka is run by JR Central Japan, so again, you cannot use the JR East Pass. Just wanted to make sure....
Old Jan 28, 2000, 7:42 am

In Kyoto, stay at the Takaraguyiki Prince Hotel. Grand very GRAND
Old Jan 28, 2000, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I sure don't know the rules, but my JR East Green pass worked all over the Tokyo subways last year. I probably went on 8 different lines. Maybe like you said they don't bother foreigners.

I didn't know about Kyoto not accepting JR East. I'll have to keep a few hundred thousand yen on hand.

Loihi, thanks for the confirmation about the Takaraguyiki Prince Hotel. Glad to know for sure it will be nice.

Does anyone know if renting skiis and boots will be a problem in Nagano?

Any ski runs accept credit cards?
Old Jan 28, 2000, 10:14 pm

Stimpy,

Nagano is very much like Colorado in Japanese standard. If you want to go skiing, go to Nagano. Otherwise, you did not go skiiing. ( I know it's a little bit stretch.)

Anyway, you will see plenty of skiing grounds there, after all Nagano was good enough to have Winter Olympic, although we all questioned when we learned they will host it at first.

Some people consider that ski is a sport for the rich. It cost a lot. Players spend several hundreds dollers on custumes every season, and the lift ticket runs around $40~50/ day.
You can easily rent ski equipment with additional cost. But some pre-arrangement is recommended, especially if you will stay in a hotel in Nagano on the day before you go skiiing. (And prepare to describe your height and weight in Japanese metric system. Not 6 feet and 140lb.)

Whether the ski area take a credit card or not depends on the place. But some places may ask you to leave an I.D. (or credit card, maybe??) for an exchange while you rent the equipment. So be prepare.

If you need more help, please contact me at [email protected]. I grew up in Kyoto for first twenty years of my life.

I can prepare some flush cards you can carry for you to survive while you staying there.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.