Wiki Posts
Search

New Budget car rental policy in SJC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2000, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
New Budget car rental policy in SJC

Just thought to share an infuriating experience I had with Budget last night and if anyone else has experienced this.

I returned my car to Budget at SJC in the garage. When the check-in person handed me my reciept, there was a charge for ~$5.50 for gasoline. He had not asked me if I had filled the tank, just charged me for gas. I asked him what the charge was for, as the tank was full (well beyond the F on the gas level). He said that since I had only driven 20 miles, he assumed that I didn't put any gas in the tank. I asked him if he even looked at the gas level and he replied "no". I told him I had purchased gas. He then asked if I had a receipt. I said I did, but what if I had paid cash? He asked me if I paid cash? I said no, I have a credit card reciept, but what was the difference, he hadn't asked me if I had bought gas PRIOR to charging me. I asked him to take the gasoline charge off, but he said he couldn't and I had to go to the rental counter to have the gas charge removed. I asked him why didn't he ask me about purchasing gas PRIOR to charging me, since this would save me the inconvenience of going through this conversation and schlepping my way to the rental counter since I was running a bit late for my flight.

Needless to say, at this time I was becoming livid (I was running tight for my flight) since the reasoning and logic (assume customer didn't fill the tank, charge you for gas, if you protest b/c you noticed the surrepticious charge and had filled the tank then you HAVE to go to the rental counter, wait in line behind 30 people, and have the charge taken off). Wouldn't it be smarter, less time and aggravation, and be more customer friendly to ASK PRIOR to charging you?

To make things even better, when I finally got to the rental counter (getting closer all the time to plane departure time), I was informed by the Budget airport manager (as usual, ticket counter personnel were useless) that it is Budget POLICY to charge customers who rent drive less than 100 miles for gas (number of gallons based on number of miles actually driven) without asking the customer FIRST if they had filled the tank. (I won't go into the condescending tone of the ticket counter person "I don't understand why you have such rage over this small matter"----->I am angry b/c this absurd policy is a !@#$%^& waste of my time and I usually don't have extra time to wait in line behind 30 people to screw around with rental car return agents to have a charge removed which shouldn't have been made in the first place!) I asked why they don't ask first, as this will save busy travelers/VERY FREQUENT RENTERS such as myself from having to schlep to the rental counter, wait in a long line, and then have the charge removed. I informed the agent that I rent a minimum of 150 days a year at SJC, and I am responsible (I approve/decline all travel decisions for my company) for an additional 1000+ car rental days a year, and if I have to go through such a stupid policy every time I rent, I won't rent from Budget any more!

Isn't America the land of "innocent until proven guilty?". The SJC manager for Budget told me that return agents are expressly NOT allowed to ask customers if they have filled the tank (in fact they are specifically trained to charge customers for gas and IF a customer questions/NOTICES/protests the charge for gas as I had, they are to direct the customer to the rental counter to have the gas charge removed!)

IMHO, this is BASS ACKWARD and an incredible was of time as well as a pretty annoying deceitful way for Budget to earn more money. I rent a car every Monday at SJC and return it on Tuesday. I only drive 20 miles total as on Monday I drive 7 miles to my office, 3 miles to my apartment, and the same 10 miles in reverse on Tuesday. If this is Budget's new policy (this never has happened to me prior to yesterday), then I will definately take my business (and the more than 1000 car rental days my company pays for each year) somewhere else.

Sorry for the tirade, but if anyone else has experienced this bass ackward policy already, please let me know as I cannot believe the STUPIDITY and waste of time of this policy.

I haven't quite yet calmed down enough to write a letter to Budget, but suggestions on who/where to direct my letter to would be helpfull, especially since the airport manager (I have her name and telephone number) told me specifically that it was Budget policy.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by onedog (edited 01-19-2000).]
Old Jan 19, 2000, 1:51 pm
Original Member

onedog --

I know this won't help the situation, but for what it's worth, you have EVERY RIGHT to be livid over such a policy!

If it is in fact really a policy and not the manager covering himself...

I have never rented form Budget, as they are not my company's preferred agency, but that policy would definitely keep me from ever using them again.
Old Jan 19, 2000, 2:44 pm
Original Member

This is an interesting policy. I rent from Budget in PHX all the time and I almost always drive <100 miles. I have never been asked before about the gas nor have I been charged for it.

I will let you know if they treat me differently when I return the car tomorrow.

--Jim
Old Jan 19, 2000, 7:52 pm
dg1

In about seventy rentals with Hertz every time I've either been asked if I got gasoline OR more often these days I simply mutter 'I filled her up' when I get back. Never ever been asked for receipt.

I'd be very upset if this happened to me. I'd probably write to customer service to find out if this was corporate wide policy and if so; switch rental car companies if cost is close. Good luck.
Old Jan 19, 2000, 8:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
A few years ago I rented a car from National out of LAX, one day drove about 32 miles and went to fill it up before returning it, it took 6.2 gallons! I complained and they agreed not to charge me for the rental.

Now when returning cars after driving short distances I only put enough in to cover the actual distance driven and charge it on the same credit card as the rental.
Old Jan 20, 2000, 5:45 am

I have rented from Hertz many times, and never had that issue. Their customer service has always been friendly. My opinion of them is all the greater when they don't stick me in some GM POS...LOL

I have used Budget a few times...and haven't had that problem either. I returned a car once with about 7/8 of a tank of gas...and I wasn't charged. They claimed that it was "full enough"

[This message has been edited by West Coast Flyer (edited 01-20-2000).]
Old Jan 20, 2000, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
The last time I rented from Budget, and I do mean the LAST TIME as I will never rent from them again, I was so livid about the person I returned my car to (long story) that I phoned Budget's customer service line before I left on my flight. The C.S. representative offered me a free rental, but I was mad enough to turn it down (what a fool!).

But I think the problem is SJC. I've rented from National at LAX and just love the people there. It's easy and fast renting a car there. At National in SJC, it's a pain in the neck and I find that both the counter personnel and the people who you return your card to are not well-trained or very caring at all. Same with Hertz--at DFW it's a breeze renting a car with friendly behind-the-counter people. At SJC, they act as if it's an imposition that you're standing there wanting them to do something.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited 01-20-2000).]
Old Jan 20, 2000, 12:12 pm
Original Member

No agency is perfect, and you are absolutely going to get bad experiences, no matter who you rent from.

However, one thing I had pounded into my head in the Dept.of Defense and some commercial (civilian) agencies, was, YOU DO NOT MAKE POLICY. There are some big time legal and liability issues here. So, when a national agency allows a mid-level manager to make policy, you have just gotta ask yourself if you want to take a chance in a situation where the tail is wagging the dog. And since I didn't read anything in onedog's post about Budget firing or reprimanding the manager, I must assume that they are OK with this. Which means, that they will support any one, any where, making their own rules and Budget is just OK with this.

Truly frightening.

[This message has been edited by hnechets (edited 01-20-2000).]
Old Jan 20, 2000, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
hnechets:

I haven't had the opportunity to write a letter to Budget yet. I will post a response if this is just the airport manager's policy, or Budget's national policy, or if they are going to fire and then keel haul her (preferred result )for coming up with such a stupid and customer unfriendly policy.
Old Jan 20, 2000, 6:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Sounds like a local screwup as I rent Budget 25-30 times a year and have not had the problem. A complaint to headquarters quoting the on duty manager is in line.
Old Jan 21, 2000, 9:42 am

A pretty lousy situation.

I think a great solution to this problem would be to bypass the exercise of going to the desk and simply dispute the charge with the credit card company as being an unauthorized charge. Unless this is some written policy you had been informed of (which doesn't seem to be the case). I'm sure if enough people did this Budget would very quickly standardize its ways or make the policy known.

My company negotiates preferred rates with the rental car companies and so we have our list of acceptable ones. It amazes me that we don't negotiate for all those piddly little things that the rental companies add on, such as the fuel charges. I've been socked by a few of those when returning cars that I haven't had the time to gas up. (and honestly, when I'm not paying for the car I have little interest in getting out to gas the thing up)

[This message has been edited by tfjim (edited 01-21-2000).]
Old Jan 21, 2000, 6:54 pm

Budget in Gothenburg, Sweden said fuel is expensive enough that they see if they can fill up the tank more. I drove about 10 miles to the airport after filling. Later they charged me about 2-3 litres. I think (but could be wrong) that their fuel prices wasn't as inflated as US rental locations charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.