Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX Roadway Construction - Jan 20th

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2000, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

PDX Roadway Construction - Jan 20th

For any of you that travel through PDX regularly (Punki especially), here’s some info you need to know.

Starting this Thursday, Jan 20th, the upper roadway at PDX (Departures) will be closed until at least mid-May, possibly a bit longer. They will be attaching a glass canopy over the entire upper deck, and connecting the terminal to the parking garage with overhead walkways. It’s a bit reminiscent of the old PDX, which had 2 walkways connecting the upper roadway to the roof of the old parking garage, but now it will be totally covered from the elements when finished.

I was at the airport yesterday & spoke with one of my favorite DL skycaps…he said they’ll be moving the baggage checkstands downstairs on Wed. night. On the local news this week there have been a lot of reminders about the closure.

During the morning & afternoon peak traffic times, PDX is telling people to plan to arrive at the airport at least 1˝ hours before your flight.

From my experience with the previous construction, they are correct with this time-frame. With all of the traffic funneling to the lower roadways, including all of the shuttle busses, there will be long back-ups for the first few weeks. It wouldn’t surprise me if we see traffic backed up beyond Flight Craft at peak times (those who live or travel here will know where that is).

I haven’t been on a plane for almost a month now (suffering withdrawal), but I’m not looking forward to the next 4-5 months, when most of my travel will start getting heavy.

Old Jan 20, 2000, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Another item I forgot to mention above...

They have designated a new Quick Drop-Off area behing the parking garage to try to lessen the back-ups on the lower roadway.
Watch for the signs as you enter the airport.
Old Jan 20, 2000, 4:07 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Thanks, shadow...Got a trip coming up this Monday the 24th in the early am. It's a three hour drive from work. Good thing I never check any luggage in!
Old Jan 20, 2000, 7:12 pm

Location: Southern California - UA1K, Delta GM, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I am going to be in Portland again for the next 2 weeks.. (well not really portland, but flying in there..) Anyway, this will help me soooo much!

Whew!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.